I think Disney broke me (in more ways than one!)

I’m so sorry to hear about your trip. That is so disappointing! This is my fear for our planned March trip. Kids are in college and the days of our family trips are winding down. I don’t want to spoil all of the good memories of WDW through the years by continuing to go when things are no longer “magical”. The whole idea of spending the entire week staring at my phone with Genie + and ILL is discouraging me.

4 Likes

It’s all about what you make of it. I have been here for 9 days now and we have had a great time. We have a mix of experienced and newbies. I came well prepared for the cold. Lots of layers & options. Luckily, I still have the rest of this week and the weather will be hot the last few days.

Everyone is thankful I have figured out the Genie+/LL+ to minimize our waits and see as much as possible.

I’m currently taking a coffee break :joy: Most of the group at the Lion King show. I like to include breaks for myself.

10 Likes

So sorry to hear about the series of unfortunate events. For me, the cold weather does impact things a lot. I think we were there some overlapping days (I was there Jan 21-24), and it was cold!! What was harder for me, though, was that we only saw the sun for about half of one of those days. Overcast all day for multiple days does not meet my expectations! In the end, I put some perspective on the cold: 1) it was not cold like in the north and 2) I got to experience WDW in new conditions.

1 Like

All I can say is ouch.
panda ouch

4 Likes

We tried to make the best of it. But we also don’t have the $$ to purchase genie + every day.
And a lot of families don’t.

4 Likes

Going from. CR to BLT I don’t even consider that hopping. And having two days at beach club was a nice change. It was the unplanned other two hotels that certainly threw me for a loop

2 Likes

I definitely still have a lot of magic to go with DD7. In fact, she asked that next year we celebrate her birthday at Disney again rather than having a big birthday party (which honesty, in February, helps a lot because you can’t have an outdoor bbq in the winter and renting a place is $$$$ anyways)
So we gave up our 1 BR At OKW for the summer in lieu of a studio, so we could have enough points left over to bring her for her birthday.
So lots of trips (that are hopefully better) planned in the future for us.

7 Likes

Crowds and bad weather can ruin even a Disney vacation pretty quickly. The last time we went, it was hot and humid and summer so the parks were packed. You’re frustrated trying to do anything due to the crowds and the weather just makes you extra cranky. Disney makes a lot of money from us, you’d think by now they’d be able to do something about the weather.

5 Likes

I heard they were going to put a giant dome over the entire resort so it’s always only mild temperatures and sunny. It’s due to be finished in 2026 for the 55th anniversary

4 Likes

Hey, who needs to breathe when the magic is 24/7. Everyone will look like they have a Stitch costume.

2 Likes

Same. I want to enjoy Disney when I go, not be tied to my phone. And I’m going with a group of 7 people, a rather mixed party of ages and interests, and I am fairly certain I’m going to be the only one with the supposed bandwidth to want to learn how to best make use of G+/ILL. Right now I’m thinking about just using ILL and foregoing G+. We will have two days in Magic Kingdom, two in EPCOT, and will be rope dropping and not doing any thrill rides, so I think we can make it work. I will feel really bad if not. We can probably afford G+ for our trip, I just don’t think I would be able to relax and have as much fun if I have to be always looking at that.

5 Likes

Camp Snoopy… or whatever it’s called now at the Mall of America in MN is an indoor amusement park, dome/glass ceiling and it’s just as hot and sweaty in there w/ the heat radiating off the glass.

1 Like

We had an unplanned move twice in our last trip and it was exhausting. So I understand the unplanned wrenches kill it.

2 Likes

100%. I have never seen the appeal of a split stay - especially with more than one switch. I’d rather unpack ONCE.

It’s bad enough that I’m doing a 1 night land/3-night cruise/3-night land trip in August. But for the Wish and a post-stay at the Poly I will tolerate it! Packing cubes are going to be my saving grace - pack my pajamas, toothbrush/toothpaste, and embarkation day outfit in one small cube - preferably in my backpack so I don’t have to get into my suitcase. Then have one large cube for my post-cruise stay so I don’t even have to get into it while onboard the ship.

5 Likes

Funny because on our first family trip to WDW, this is what my twins (then 5-years old) were expecting out of the Magic Kingdom. As they saw it for the first time, they were surprised to see it was all outside. No clear dome covering it at all. I’m not really sure where they got that from except maybe the Tinker Bell pixie dust halo at the beginning of Disney movies. We still laugh about it. Anyhoo. Carry on.

9 Likes

The Disney Bubble! :rofl:

5 Likes

I’m sorry you had a less than enjoyable time. The crowds and cold would have done me in as well. We got “stuck” at WDW a few years ago in August because of a hurricane at home. We were supposed to leave on a Saturday and couldn’t get a replacement flight until the following Thursday. We went to the front desk at WL (we were staying on our DVC points at BR) and they offered us two all star rooms for a song, which helped so much. I thought it was a DVC discount, but recently found out that we only get DVC discounts on cash rooms in the DVC inventory. The “bonus” part of our vacation was so much better than the “official” vacation. We had so much less stress once the hurricane had hit and we knew were were out of state for the duration. At the beginning of our trip DH and MIL spent a whole gaggle of time watching the radar and stressing over a storm we had no control over. Hopefully some of the magic comes back for you on your next trip!

2 Likes

Hurricane Dorian? I was there! Luckily I flight issues that time

2 Likes

And last summer there was a “hurricane” in MA when we were there … lol

You should have had a hurricane at POFQ. One would have brightened your troubles.

7 Likes