I know this has been asked BUT NOT LATELY 50s prime time or sci fi

My DS was 14 on our recent trip and when I mentioned it, he said absolutely no way. I knew on our last trip that it would upset him to be told off, but I thought he might take it as more of an experience this trip. Nope! We went to Sci Fi.

Iā€™ve never actually had a server at 50s Prime Time yell at or tease us or talk in a way that made anyone feel uncomfortable. Like, literally all theyā€™ve ever done is the initial spiel and then do normal server stuff. Itā€™s not like my family has the table manners of royals or anything, the servers were just not overly into enforcing the rules, I guess.

3 Likes

Like both. 50ā€™s edges out Sci Fi. If your not interested in playing along just let them know. Iā€™ve done that before they are perfectly ok with it. Fried Chicken. Yum

Has anyone ever done one of the later reservations for either restaurant? Maybe a sit down time after 9:00 p.m.? Iā€™m thinking I want to catch Jingle Bell Jingle Bam, have a sit down meal, and then hopefully stretch the dinner out a little bit so that the park is a little bit cleared out when we finish up. The idea being we could enjoy the decorations & get some picks as we take our time leaving.

Iā€™ve eaten at the 50s Prime Time bar (no reservation needed, but you donā€™t get any of the ā€œIā€™m Aunt So and Soā€ playing at all) later and it was great. We just walked in and sat down.

3 Likes

We went to both in 2017, and enjoyed both for the most part. 50s had great food, but it was busy and loud. Our DD loved the whole concept even though sheā€™s quite reserved.

We went to a late dinner at Sci-Fi, and loved the cars. They were going to put us at a table, but we were able to switch with a family who wanted a table instead of a car. I enjoyed it, but the loop of movie scenes was too short so it played several times before we left. DH and I found the videos to be annoying, but DD liked it.

In all, both are good enough to try at least once. If we decide to go to a restaurant at HS again (we didnā€™t last trip), weā€™d do 50s due to the food.

1 Like

Have a reservation there on a solo trip. I am extremely shy and tend not to meet people when traveling. So, Prime Time will either be a nice change from eating alone or excruciating and a terrible mistake.

1 Like

Prime time is probably where you may not want to go. May I suggest Germany where everyone has a good time at Briergarten.

Someone who is that shy is almost definitely NOT going to have a good time at a place where there is no option but to share tables.

4 Likes

Both these restaurants are pretty decent one-offs especially if you are bringing new people to Disney.

Oh my! Wrong park though. At least with cast members I donā€™t have to have anything interesting to say. So thereā€™s that. The food looks really good. HS is the park where I forget to eat until Iā€™m irrevocably cranky, so I definitely need a lunch reservation. I didnā€™t like the food at Brown Derby, not even the desserts. I guess thereā€™s Scifi

Also Iā€™m much more outgoing at structured things. I just hate having to make small talk with strangers!

What about the Tune-In Lounge at Prime Time? No ADR, and you can order food. Chances are, you can sit alone.

1 Like

Thatā€™s how you meet people you donā€™t know or would not bother to meet because of your shyness. We have met a awful lot of great people to talk to while eating dinner and watching the show. Afterwards you never see them again but you find out about all parts of the country.

Well Sci Fi seems to be a draw but for the life of me I donā€™t know why. The food is of the take-out hamburger type and the short flicks of old Sci Fi movies in black and white didnā€™t do anything for me. The sit you in a table designed as a car is cheesy at best and over crowded. I grew up in that era and I thought it definitely wasnā€™t worth the money.

I think Iā€™m going to brave 50s Prime Time. Sci fi just has no appeal for me and I think Iā€™ll like having dinner with someone other than my phone.

Why would you do that? You came to WDW to enjoy people and the fairy tale. Alone is boring! Live a little by looking over to the person next to you and saying Hi! Where are you from and are you having a good time.

1 Like

But most people who are very shy are NOT going to be comfortable being forced into that situation. Therefore I would never recommend that for someone who is asking what is better for someone who is very shy.

4 Likes

Alone is NOT boring to everyone! I go to Disney solo because I love Disney. I do not go there to socialize and meet new people. Iā€™d guess that most solo travelers are closer to my philosophy than yours.

6 Likes

Your probably right on both counts. I myself am a very private person although I go with my wife. Do NOT like gathering and such but in this case I force myself to change. So I guess if you wish to dine alone in a booth then may I suggest the Coral Reef where you can at least watch the fish swim by and nobody bothers you. Well maybe Crush might stare at you but ignore him.

1 Like