I know this has been asked BUT NOT LATELY 50s prime time or sci fi

I would vote 50s just because the seating set up is so awkward at SciFi. Unless you take up a whole car with your party, odds are high that someone else will be in the extra row (or if a party of 2 YOU will be in the extra row). It’s just needlessly awkward - and the fact that they refer to the “extras” as hitchhikers really turns me off.

4 Likes

I think it depends again on your party make-up. With 2 little kids in the front seats, DH and I sat behind them and relaxed and it Almost felt like a date.

2 Likes

Sci Fi!

1 Like

Alcoholic milkshakes!

4 Likes

Last trip DS and I were the hitchhikers, this time we were a party of 4 and we had hitchhikers. The first time I don’t think the family in front even knew we were there and we wouldn’t have noticed the couple behind us on this trip if the server hadn’t introduced us. That was a little awkward for 20 seconds I’ll admit. Otherwise, there was nothing awkward about either situation for us.

2 Likes

I have an ADR for 50s on Nov 1, for dinner! I picked it over Sci-Fi just to try something new, and also bc we’ll have an odd number of people this trip and I didn’t want anyone getting stuck by themselves. My DS (who was 9 at the time) and I otherwise enjoyed Sci-Fi on our last trip.

1 Like

I just feel like they could have alternate seating where it would not be weird at all. Different size cars for different size parties. I would feel totally weird being at someone else’s table. (I skip Biergarten for the same reason.)

4 Likes

Because you’re actually at the same table, Biergarten is a little awkward to me I agree. Sitting facing someone you don’t know, with someone you also don’t know sitting next to you, is a bit of a gamble! We’ve done it twice so it hasn’t put us off. I’d much prefer my own table there though!

3 Likes

Trying SciFi this time because it seems to get a lot of love from TP users. Something new for us to try and think it fits our plan better location wise.

Did 50s once and had a horrible server- real life rude not character rude. Bad impression and moved to bottom of list for us.

2 Likes

well DH never met a stranger. He will strike up a conversation with anybody…he loves to talk to CMs.

2 Likes

We’re all quite shy! I will talk to CMs, I had a few conversations in lines or when random people stopped me to ask about my ears. But we only smiled at the family sharing our table at BG!

2 Likes

Not to get too far off topic with Biergarten, but that restaurant is hard with a shy kiddo. We’ve only ever experienced people trying to draw him out and talk to him, and while I get the impulse and appreciate that these are kind, warm people, he was very very uncomfortable and ate almost nothing.

Having said that, the weird “hitchhiker” thing might come up once when you’re seated, but otherwise you really have no interaction with the other people in your car if you’re seated in one. If you’ve eaten at those movie theaters that serve food, it’s basically the same kinda thing, they’re just eating a row ahead of (or behind) you at the show.

1 Like

Now if they were playing MS3TK that would be awesome!

3 Likes

Personally I would not waste my time at Sci Fi again. Can’t see what the attraction is all about. Was not impressed at all. The 50’s café is a waste if you can’t watch your kids. The food is so so but if you grew up in that era, it might be of interest.

I appreciate all the feedback and opinions.

DEFINITELY 50’S Prime Time…Good meals like Mom used to cook…Love the theming…Never was yelled at…teased but in an obvious joking way.

SiFi…went in 2011 when our kids were 12 & 9…food was passable and the B&W film was on a boring short loop…if Disney just extended the loop to at least 30 min I could survive the experience…Fun for kids under 10 because of the car booths.

1 Like

We love Sci Fi for their burgers and shakes.

2 Likes

Another Sci-Fi fan. Enjoyed the burgers and shakes (and fried pickles). The introvert in me will never step foot in 50s.

3 Likes

I haven’t been there since 2017 - I must try the fried pickles!

this is a great consideration! taking into account your travel party and how they feel about a more interactive dining experience plays a role in deciding where to go. some may love it, some not so much. as an introvert, too, 50s made me a bit uncomfortable but i was happy to be there and try it out. though, i could see the fear in the faces of my young nieces (and i’m not sure they loved being teased, even in a good-natured way)! :grimacing: :grinning:

2 Likes