I Just Want to Quit My Job and Live on the Beach and Go to WDW Every Month

I’ve thought a lot about moving away from DC area b/c it’s so expensive here. But, I don’t have any place or type of place I’m drawn too. We really don’t know about jobs elsewhere too. I’ve thought about the coast. The one thing I want to avoid is snow / ice or extreme heat. A little is ok, but not a lot. We’re still in the mode where we’re so used to being told where to live by the military that having the freedom to go elsewhere (since DH is retired now) is just weird. As to vacations I have a huge backlog now that covid took so many time slots away. Mostly just looking forward to going somewhere, anywhere, to start making new vacation memories again. We always have a good time. My biggest WDW goal right now is to do a much longer, maybe in the summer, time where we can truly relax and do the big afternoon breaks (we’ve never done that b/c our friend doesn’t want to, but I think it would work best for my family now). Also want to spend many days at Universal and explore all their hotels.

2 Likes

My daydreaming became a reality. I retired Oct 31, and moved to south Claremont. Right next door to WDW. No beach, but a pond in the back yard with ducks, cranes and egrets. Now, just need them to start selling APs again so I can go to the parks every week.

13 Likes

A home in Golden Oaks and Disney daily.
Not gonna happen but a lovely dream.

5 Likes

We decided about 18 months ago we were going to be on a 2-3 year plan to leave NY. Then when coronavirus started we moved that up to this year. With the entire US as an option it was a little overwhelming at first. Like, literally, how do you start looking? We don’t have family anywhere else. Then we started to look at priorities. First priority is fair homeschooling and parental rights laws. Second is variety of jobs - like no one-employer regions. Third was COL. And fourth was warm weather. (If I am completely honest, weather is possibly number two for me, but since DH is the main provider… ;))

I can’t believe that a vacation dreamer like myself doesn’t even think of vacations anymore. Financially, I don’t know what our situation will be with a move on the books, but even if I had a budget and a green light, I don’t know what I’d want to do. I am not worried about the virus, but I don’t think my family would enjoy theme parks with restrictions in place and fewer offerings. We may never get to cruise again if they require all pax to be vaccinated. Road trips are our happy place, but are enough places open and fun? I know my family and myself well enough to know what we would and would not be happy with. The only thing I come up with is a beach house and lots of take out food. And that doesn’t really require much for planning… so that aspect isn’t an escape anymore.

So - I mostly fix up the house to sell it (yay Pinterest) and look at Zillow… and imagine my furniture in those houses.

4 Likes

Sounds like Texas to me … maybe Houston suburbs or Dallas?

1 Like

Both sound wonderful to me.
DH is a wee bit hesitant to be that far away from our families. But it’s not a hard no.

I should say my fifth desire is that I want to live somewhere we can have a basement. I can’t imagine a work out space just in the midst of the rest of the home. And I need somewhere to lock up my cats.

1 Like

I live in IL and we are moving to MO within the next few months, hopefully. My dream is a home in Golden Oaks, with a beach house for weekend getaways. I wonder if you buy a home in Golden Oaks right now if you can buy an AP? I would be upset if I dropped a few million on a home and then couldn’t get into the parks. I want a horse-drawn carriage to take me to the parks each day as I wave at the peasants. :wink:

3 Likes

My son is rallying for MO. :smiley:

2 Likes

Do it! We are aiming for a smaller town off the Missouri River called Washington. Lake of the Ozarks, MO just surpassed $1 billion in sales this past year. The state is booming! All the cool kids are moving there.

2 Likes

+1🤩

Going to Google later!

2 Likes

Dallas. Maybe a bit east of there.

No basements though :frowning:

3 Likes

Where do people work out without basements? I can’t imagine just in an upstairs bedroom next to other rooms. All that clinking and clanking.
And where do people store luggage. And old homeschool books. And Christmas decorations. And. And. And. :wink:

3 Likes

Attics

4 Likes

I’ve only lived in places without basements.

CA-Earthquakes
FL-Swamp
Vegas-Need explosives just to build a swimming pool.

I remember my first time at my in-laws, who still live in the same house my DH was born in…and I was in absolute awe over their basement. What a cool idea. A room UNDER the house! Like a cool spy cave or secret superhero base! I’ve been down there once. It was full of boxes that ended up in my garage in Vegas. I think basements are less cool now.

3 Likes

Well, at my place we work out outside - growing a garden, yard work (raking leaves, gathering fallen branches, shoveling snow if that happens to happen, etc) hauling firewood, mowing grass,
maintaining the pool, etc.
I have a shed - holiday stuff on the left side shelves and regular household stuff on the right side shelves, all in clear plastic totes.

2 Likes

I just found out what we’ve paid for our POD unit for the last 11 years. Maybe the basement people had it right all along.

1 Like

Attics are used for storage. In the more rural areas people use their metal barn/workshop for home gyms.

2 Likes

The only houses with attics here would be very old homes. An attic sounds like a hot place to work out. Storage makes sense though. But it sounds harder to access than a basement?

An unfinished basement is mind blowing to me. I grew up with one and our first house had one. We finished this one. All that glorious space!

We have an unfinished side. That’s where our cats live. Another reason I have to have a basement. I need a place for them.

1 Like

It depends, older ones probably are harder to access. Ours is via a staircase just like most basements. It is too hot in the summer in New England, but good the other seasons.

2 Likes