Hurricane Season 2022 & other weather warnings šŸ›

Personally I wouldnā€™t change my flight unless your airline urges you to or cancels it. Chances are that Orlando itself will be largely unaffected. At worst they may cancel flights if the weather in the area becomes impossible to work around, or if the track changes . If that happens, the decision will be made for you, so just be ready. But if things go well, youā€™ll have those extra 2-3 days for your vacation.

That said, if it makes you feel better to change things now to have it all settled and not have to worry about contingencies, go for it.

1 Like

The downside of waiting until itā€™s cancelled is having to compete with everyone else that was cancelled to get a new flight. Elsa cancelled our flight last year but I jumped on a rebooked for the next day instead of waiting for American to reschedule for me.

3 Likes

Yep, definite downsides either way. Depends on how much you value certainty vs. taking a gamble.

3 Likes

Any chance you could fly sooner?

I feel your panic! Iā€™m supposed to fly in on Thursady morning. That seems unlikely now. Southwest is allowing changes, so I have a big decision to make. Iā€™m not sure if Friday will be any better? Ugh!

1 Like

So the graphic that I posted earlier is the default ā€œearliest reasonable arrival time of TS force windsā€. Which is pretty key for those doing hurricane prep.

But there is a toggle to show ā€œmost likely arrival timeā€. Iā€™m thinking a Wednesday flight will likely beat the weather in, and based on current projections, I donā€™t think WDW is likely to get more that tropical storm level winds, or maybe Cat 1. That is subject to change, of course. Thursday morning might be a little dicier and more dependent on specific track.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info. I really wish we could leave earlier, but my DD27 is a dietitian with patients scheduled M-W. I canā€™t decided whether to change our fight to Friday or Saturday.

2 Likes

Where are you coming in from? If this thing continues up the east coast, that will cause ongoing disruptions.

2 Likes

Iā€™m coming on a direct flight from St. Louis. Our weather is going to be great here (70ā€™s, 0% rain all week), so no problems taking off.

1 Like

Yeah, but youā€™ll need to fly across the most likely path. They seem really uncertain on the path and speed, so not sure how best to time that. I almost wonder if youā€™re best off sticking with Thur morning because they might be able to fly east and then south around it?

Can you tell how full flights are looking for Fri/Sat to know how quickly you need to decide? Another day of data might decrease some of the uncertainty.

3 Likes

Thanks for your thoughts. Itā€™s so tricky! So far, flights Friday and Sat are still available. Weā€™re a hub, so we have four direct fights to/from MCO a day.

4 Likes

I think part of it will be how much potential they feel like there is for damage to planes parked at the airport in Orlando. If they think it wonā€™t be that bad, they may still have flights coming in Thur morning. If they think it will be bad enough to damage parked planes, they could try to get as many planes as possible out on Wed and not bring any in on Thur morning, even if they can get in ahead of the storm. If they expect the planes to be ok, I expect then they will keep flying in as long as itā€™s safe to fly.

I know that sort of data is a factor in their decision making from comments here and there, but I have no idea how to parse that out at a practical level to make any predictions.

Iā€™ll keep feeding you as much data as I spot that might be helpful.

4 Likes

I didnā€™t think about the planes being stuck in Orlando. That does make sense.

Thank you. Iā€™m horrible at making decisions like this. :joy: I always second guess myself.

1 Like

I always overthink All The Things, so I feel your pain. How adaptable is your travel party if travel gets wonky? (Being delayed in airports with infants/toddlers is at lot more difficult than teens/adultsā€¦usuallyā€¦ :sweat_smile:)

3 Likes
6 Likes

Oh yes, Iā€™m an expert at overthinking! Iā€™m going with DD27. Iā€™m more likely to have a travel meltdown than she is. :rofl:

2 Likes

Thank you!!

1 Like

I have a very strong reaction to these kinds of discussions when they come up, as Iā€™m looking at storm preparation and effects from a very different perspective.

If central Florida faces the threat of a tropical system when you have plans to be there, and you have the chance to change those plans, absolutely change those plans.

If the storm takes a more eastern track, which is as likely as not right now, there will be hurricane force winds and strong rain across central Florida. The parks will close Wednesday and Thursday, and possibly Friday. Hotel and food services will be curtailed. Youā€™ll be directed to stay in your rooms. Debris will be on the internal roads for days and transportation will be difficult. Off-property grocery stores, retail, and gas stations will not be operating normally.

The parks will close and thatā€™s not just for guest safety. Cast members will need time to prepare their homes. Very few will be considered essential and regardless of what one can say about Disney management right now theyā€™re not going to be put in jeopardy. Yes there are ride-out crews but thatā€™s a small fraction of normal cast.

So, even if youā€™re there, youā€™re going to be spending Disney money to sit around your hotel room. Yes, itā€™s disappointing to change plans that youā€™ve had for possibly a long time, but if you can change them, do it.

9 Likes

Thank you so much for your perspective as a Floridian.

2 Likes

Thank you for saying this, this is important.

4 Likes