Humorous Conversations with Non-Disney Loving Spouses Regarding Planning

This! Although mine was interested in planning in earnest once upon a time. He was willing to hear my dilemma of whether we should eat here or there or visit this park on this day or that. I would go through all the possibilities, he’d research and figure out his thoughts, and then I’d come back with a new tip or trick that completely changed all the possibilities and present them all again. I think he just gave up for the sake of his sanity! :laughing: In the end, he is always happy with my planning!

6 Likes

I don’t have Disney conversations with my Non-Disney loving spouse. There’s the initial “Let’s go to Disney on these days,” so we can agree to the timing and he can take time out of the office. And that’s it. That’s how we do all of our vacations.

I’ll ask which things he really liked or didn’t like about previous trips, but beyond that I don’t bother him with things happening 180 or more in the future. He just knows it’s hard & complicated planning but he trusts that it will turn out terrific, so he leaves me alone.

5 Likes

ditto

My non-Disney loving husband doesn’t go on most of our trips to Disney. But he is going on the trip this week because it’s my birthday trip. We did have this conversation on Sunday.

Me: The kids and I are going to DAH at HS on Saturday and I really need to know if you have decided whether you will go with us.
Him: I don’t care.
Me: I would need to buy you a ticket if you want to go.
Him: I don’t care. I’ll go if you want me to go.
Me: I would love for you to go with us.
Him: Fine.

5 Likes

I will say that my wife actually loves Disney, but not the planning. She gives me input and I give her feedback (no, we cannot dedicate a day to the upcoming otter exhibit at AK).

1 Like

Hmmm … I think some of this may be going on in my house!

My DH and I do not have kids, but has said if we ever did, he will offer to take them literally anywhere else in the world except Disney.
I told him that may not be an offer they are willing to accept.

1 Like

This is all trip planning between me and my husband.

Me: While we are in Asheville (NC) I want to take a 30 minute glass blowing class. Are you interested in taking one?
Him: Whatever you want.
Me: We have to take them separately and I want to take one, but I would have to sign you up for your own, so either you want to do it or you don’t want to do it. It doesn’t affect me doing it.
Him: I don’t care.
Me: Is that your way of saying “I don’t want to do it?”
Him: Yes
Me: sigh

DD8 is no better. She did tell me last night she is going to marry a “trip planning nerd” so they can plan all kinds of trips for her. I suspect DH would tell her that is a good plan.

5 Likes

I think our husbands are the same person!:rofl:

1 Like

My DD and I are going on a girls only trip in Sept. I haven’t really told my husband all the details just when it is and we are going to Disney. He ask me the other night out of the blue, where are you staying? To which I reply Pop Century. Granted he hasn’t stayed onsite since the late 1990s/early 2000’s. (As a family, we stay offsite) He replies, oh I just figured you were staying at a Hampton Inn. I think I looked at him like he had 5 heads.
I love a Hampton Inn but not at Disney World. LOL

Our last two trips he didn’t even know where we were going until the evening before. I told him as long as he was looking at the back of me while we were touring he was doing good. HA!

4 Likes

My husband did not get Disney planning at all. Now that he’s finished his second trip I think he’ll have more opinions but they’d be of the “I prefer QS over TS” type variety - not “Please make a ADR for xyz restaurant”.

Speaking of which, I need to add our 180th day to my work calendar so I don’t forget. TY!

1 Like

Simple solution: Just take them yourself and leave him at home. :slight_smile:

1 Like

DW and I have only been to WDW together 3 times; the rest of my trips have been solo and/or tied to a conference. She’s not really much of a fan of WDW; she generally enjoys herself when there, but once every 5 or 10 years is more than enough for her and she has zero interest in the planning phase. On our last trip, approaching the 180 mark I asked her if there were any restaurants that she remembered from the last trip that she would specifically want to return to or avoid and she mentioned a few. The rest was up to me, and about a week before the trip I presented her with a travel itinerary that broke things down day by day, park by park, restaurant by restaurant. I also included maps of all of the parks and resorts where we would be eating, and sample menus from each of the 14 TS restaurants for which we had ADRs.

Back in the pre-forum days I mentioned to her that I had just made my 5,000th post to chat and she looked at me like I had announced plans to cook one of our dogs for dinner. I never bothered telling when I hit 27,000…

13 Likes

This week’s conversation…

Me: Do you want to take a look at rides with me and tell me which ones you want/can and cannot ride? (DH gets motion sick)
DH: Any of them are fine. I am happy with whatever.
Me: So are you going to want to do FOP?
DH: No, I don’t think I can do that one.
Me: Star Tours?
DH: No, I can’t do that one.
Me: Soarin?
DH: No
Me: Tower of Terror?
DH: Yeah, no.
Me: Ok… so… can we go through the list and you can tell me which ones you want to ride?
DH: Really, I’m fine with whatever.

20 Likes

I think that’s code for, “I don’t want to think about it right now and I’ll let you know about 3 seconds before we get in line for something.” :wink:

17 Likes

So funny!! (and frustrating at the same time)

2 Likes

Very likely!:grin:

For my DH, “maybe” is the dreaded word. I’ve learned it means “no”. I make all the arrangements for nearly every facet of our lives and I can do anything I want 99% of the time- he trusts my judgement and is somewhat dependent. But when he says “maybe”- watch out.

He doesn’t like to put his foot down, very few things will make him do it. But there’s no negotiating once he does.

3 Likes

Less than 60 days before vacation a few years ago: DH had already agreed to dates, resort, FP, TS, flight, literally everything done: DH suggests we add a couple days to our trip and drive to St. Augustine :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

5 Likes

One does not simply fly into Mordor!! :rofl:

4 Likes

OMG - this reminded me. I spent days planning out a spreadsheet with all our plans (this was for a trip originally planned for early December 2019). H could NOT understand why I was doing this in August 2018.

Then, after I spent days on this plan, he says:
H: Hey, I’d like to take the boys to Tampa one night while we’re at Disney for a Tampa Bay Lighting hockey game.
Me: [Blink. Blink.]
Me: Okay, which date is the game?
H: Oh, they won’t release the 2019/2020 schedule until sometime in June 2019.
Me: [Quick mental calculation of 180 day mark, lookup when 2018/2019 schedule was released]. Sorry honey, that won’t work, I have to have our dining reservations in place before the schedule is released.
H: You’re kidding me?
Me: Head explodes.

5 Likes