How wet does one get?

I don’t enjoy getting soaked on a ride, so on my Orlando trip at the end of this month, I’m going to avoid Kali River Rapids at WDW and Bilge-Rat and Dudley at IoA.

But what about Splash Mountain? Jurassic Park River Adventure? I’d love to ride them if I don’t get more than lightly splashed. I just hate walking around in wet shoes and underwear.

1 Like

Splash is usually pretty lightly splashed but I did have one year that I got pretty wet. Seems very boat-dependent, as well as position and who is in said boat with you

3 Likes

Kali, you don’t get terribly wet, although you MIGHT from the waist down.

Bilge-Rat and Dudley, you will come out absolutely drenched. As much as I hate being drenched, however, Bilge-Rat we probably had the most fun of any ride because we came off laughing so hysterically throughout. So much so that we got right back in line and went again!

Splash Mountain you get a few splashes. River Adventure you can come off bone dry (particularly toward the center of the raft), but usually a few light splashes on the arms.

1 Like

Every time I ride Splash Mountain I get sprayed fairly heavily in the face and have to clean my glasses. I always wear a light raincoat on the ride, so everywhere else is dry.

Splash Mountain is so iconic that it would be a real shame not to ride it.

Oh, also: Top Tip — sit on the left-hand side of the boat. There’s an evil waterfall thing that gets you on the right near the end of the ride and sometimes the boat gets stuck there waiting for other boats to clear.

2 Likes

Great tips, everyone, thanks!

And while we’re on the subject of staying dry: Can anyone recommend a pack of compact lightweight disposable ponchos on Amazon?

Also very boat dependent. I have come off dry, and I have come off as if I swam in the river

2 Likes

Since no one else has mentioned it… On JPRA you don’t get very wet as long as you aren’t in the first two rows. Inn the rest of the boat, you’ll get splashed and you’ll sit in water as you board, but that’s it…

This is the brand of poncho I like. It has drawstring closure on the hood and elastic wristbands. However, Amazon is out of stock right now… The brand is “Living Better Outdoors”

I have ridden JPRA many times and if the boat is empty, you really don’t get a big splash. (Even though I was in the front, I was dry after this one because it’s an empty boat.)

6 Likes

Dollar store is my go to for these - cheap, very compact, easy to toss in a bag.

1 Like

I got SOAKED on KRR. On Splash, I sit in the back to the left (facing front). I’ve gotten some wet pants, but they dry quick. So wear some darker pants and skip the white ones that day. I don’t notice my shoes getting overly wet. Maybe splashed a little.

And if you are going more in the winter months when it is not hot, that waterfall on the right side of Splash is turned off.

4 Likes

I wanted to mention that our family got soaked on the ride that is now Frozen Ever After when if was the former theme. Maybe random but we had dinner reservations right after in WS and we walked in looked like someone threw a bucket of water on us.

3 Likes

We’ve gotten off Pirates more than damp - only once. Maybe a heavy boat. It was a surpise.

We’ve ridden Kali 3 times in a row. Initial ride we were fairly soaked. Next time thru we didn’t get any wetter. Third time thru the boat turned into the waterfall and we were drenched. Washed the sunscreen right off. Which we were unaware of until later . . .

6 Likes

I agree with the thoughts shared. Here is my ranking in order:

• Bilge Rat Barges: Unavoidably drenched. Ride in the buff.
  • Dudley: Never ridden but by most accounts it goes here in the ranking.
  • Kali River Rapids: You may get soaked (but not drenched), but often can walk away dry. Luck of the draw (also depends on if people are manning the water cannons)
  • Jurassic Park: You can ride this without getting too wet if you are in the middle of a row toward the middle of the raft
  • Splash Mountain: The front row can get pretty wet, but you’ll eventually dry off. I recommend keeping your feet up off the floor so your shoes don’t get wet (or switch to sandals before riding).
  • PotC: You may get a splishy splash, but you’ll live
7 Likes

Unless, course, you are the wicked witch of the west!

7 Likes

There is one spot on Kali that shoots water horizontally, so there is one seat/person on the opposite side of the raft that can get absolutely drenched. I think it was after the drop. My favorite part of the ride is to see who spins into that hose of water.

4 Likes

I’m realizing that when we were there in August 2020, they must have had ALL of the water effects turned off on Kali. Despite the 103 degree temperatures, and the fact we were actually HOPING to get wet, we possibly got off the rider dryer than we were when we got on!

3 Likes

This is a good point. They can reduce the water effects. I think they may do this during colder weather as well, but not sure.

2 Likes

I concur with Jeff’s ranking and would add FEA at the bottom of the list, after PotC. The first two you are guaranteed to come out more soaked than if you’d swam to the parks that day. After that, they’re all a little bit of a gamble…but you could come out dry. Last trip I actually came off Pirates dripping…it was bizarre - but no worse than a rainy day in the Kingdom.

I can not agree with this recommendation :rofl: :

You’ll get weird looks and probably walked to the exit - I don’t want to be complicit in encouraging park nudity.

7 Likes

Glad you offered that second opinion…I was going to give it a try! :wink:

(Certainly would keep your clothes from getting drenched, though.)

3 Likes

I saw people changing clothes while I waited in the rider swap area. Let’s just say I saw things I was not prepared to see that day. :flushed:

5 Likes

5 Likes