How Many Points?

Ok I’m entering dangerous territory … I’m starting to seriously think about buying in to DVC.

In the past I’ve been hesitant because it’s such a big fixed expense. I’d rather pay cash and maintain flexibility. But Disney has become such a big part of my life I’m sure I’d be able to get my money’s worth. Still, I’m going to wait until after my May trip to make any big decisions - I want to be sure this is something our family wants and will enjoy.

So this may be the first of several posts with questions I will have.

Question 1: How many points should I buy? Specifically, my question is on the margins.

Say I know exactly how many points I want for a specific week / villa type that will be our typical vacation choice. But obviously the exact number will change over the years. So am I better off buying a few more points than I need, or a few less?

If I’m short, my understanding is that you can buy single-use points from Disney to “top up” as the Brits say. But if I have a few extra, what can I do if I’m already fully banked? Can I rent out, say, 10 points? Or will I most likely lose them?

Other background: I will almost certainly buy resale since I don’t need all the incidental benefits and don’t trust that they’ll stay in place anyway. I’m thinking of BWV since it’s a resort I like with a good location, though we may book elsewhere sometimes. I plan to only use my points every 3 years, so I will bank and borrow to accumulate my points to Year 2.

4 Likes

Since you are going to buy resale, and since you already have a plan to bank/borrow and go every 3 years, and since the specific amount of points per room type and season change, I would look at the existing point charts, identify a range for the type of room and season of year you want, and then identify a RANGE of annual points you would need, and then buy the best resale contract (in terms of price and use year) that is available when you are ready, and don’t worry about, say 140 pts vs. 160 pts in a contract.

Once you drink the DVC Kool-aid, there is ALWAYS a way to use your points if there are a handful sitting there. Like me upgrading to a Poly lake view over standard view last week :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I agree. I would look at what a week (or how long you would stay) at the most expensive time of the year and your usual time.

I would also caution that you will need more points at some of the other resorts to stay the same length/room type.

3 Likes

This website makes it super easy to calc out how many points you would need depending on time of year and room type.

As far as number of points, get more than you think you need. You can always bank them forward if you don’t use them. On the next trip you would use those points first. Except for a global pandemic, it’s hard to lose points.

3 Likes

One other note, the 24 extra points you can buy to ‘top up’ can only be used at the 7 month mark. If you are counting on being able to buy extra to make that 11 month reservation window, you are out of luck. That said, I agree with everyone else to probably buy as much as you can afford to because the desire to add on is real!

3 Likes

That’s dirty! :rofl: Those slimy rascals.

3 Likes

When calculating how many points you need, never look at the cheapest type of room either. So don’t do the calculation based on a standard view at BWV, look at the garden or Boardwalk view.

Get a few extra points. This year, for example they added a couple of seasons so some weeks went up and some went down.

4 Likes

I do think it’s silly we can’t use it at our home resort in that 7-11 month window since it’s essentially like a cash reservation at that point.

2 Likes

No matter how many you buy, it’s never enough :wink:

I do wish I had bought more points at the time, so now I’m sacrificing view and size for length of stay…which stinks. I’d honestly be better suited to take these tours I want and put them into DVC points, except I’m waiting to see what perks they bring back, if any, as well.

I haven’t met anyone that started off as Disney fans who then decided they didn’t like it. Even if they end up liking the thrill rides at UOR more, I’ve never heard them turn their backs on Disney all together. Even if that miraculously happens to you, you can always re-sell them.

I know how good you are at planning, so you might consider comparing to house rentals in the area as well. I found a few where I can stay off site for a month for what It would cost for a week on site. That way there’s no commitment and you can split the distance between WDW and UOR if needed. That being said, staying on site ROCKS and I really dislike when DH tries to talk me out of it.

3 Likes

That’s how I feel about staying offsite! :joy: Thankfully DW never tries to talk me out of anything lol. She is very frugal, maybe more so than me, but when I say “go” she knows it must be ok! :wink:

That said, in retirement when I can spend a month, I might consider offsite.

3 Likes

No no no. You’re doing it all wrong. Build up your points now so that when you retire you can “live” on-site for a month. For “free” ie no direct out of pocket cost. Because when you retire, your income will go down and you won’t have the money to pay for an off site place for that long.

3 Likes

@AllmadhereUK
Another great puzzle. I hope your Mother’s day was enjoyable.
“The Foot” cracks me up. Hope the surgery is a quick recovery for everyone’s sake.

QOTD1: No nap yesterday. May need one today. I made an early car maintenance appointment forgetting the time change. I could have slept in a bit today.

QOTD 2: I was born late 60s. I got to experience being dressed in plaid, corduroy and polyester by a mom that really didn’t care about fashion. Hit the prime teen style scene for big hair and shoulder pads. I saw a reference that shoulder pads were making a comeback due to video meetings. No, please no.

@Jennifer_B_568600 I hope you resolve the itching soon.
I’ve been due for Shingles vaccination. Finally got my first shot after a friend’s husband just got it. Figured I’m a still few weeks out from being eligible and for and finding the Covid vaccine so that won’t interfere.

I don’t know what the criteria is but they do ask if you’ve had any other inoculations when screening for the covid vaccination. I’d hate to wait inline to be turned away b/c I just had a flu shot.

1 Like

@Jeff_AZ I’m just laughing that you’ve joined me in drinking the kool-aid!

1 Like

I think you do need a nap, you haven’t posted this on the daily thread :joy:

3 Likes

:joy::rofl::joy::rofl: I wondered :joy::rofl::joy:

2 Likes

Everything I’ve read says 2 weeks for Covid. The shingles vaccine checklist asked for 4 weeks.

I’m at the end of the line for the vaccine. I would be surprised to be eligible (and be able to get an appointment) quicker than 4 weeks.

3 Likes

Oh… thanks for the intel!!! My doc wanted me to get the shingles shot and good thing I put it off or I would have been turned away at the FEMA site after waiting for 30 min already :wink:

2 Likes

If you are calculating points at BW then definitely buy a decent buffer MORE than what you think you will need. BWV rooms are some of the lowest points in the system. If you want to stay at a newer, old resort (you won’t be able to stay at Riviera but no loss there) like Poly or GF you will need considerably more points.

Like others have said, I would not worry too much about having too many points, especially since it sounds like you plan to be borrowing ahead. You probably couldn’t rent 10 points, but you could easily rent a single night at the Boardwalk for 15-20 points. But you’ll probably just use them.

1 Like

I’m happy to lend this thread to the Daily Thread crowd for a couple of posts.

:joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes