How good is Kona?

I’m currently planning breakfast at Kona on the last morning of a 8-day stay at the Poly. Everyone raves about it so I’m worried that I will love it, but just have missed out on 7 other opportunities to eat breakfast there.

Will I leave WDW desparate for more Tonga Toast? Or is the Capt. Cook’s version fine?

I think Captain Cook’s version is the same but you don’t get the strawberry compote with it. It might be smaller too, not sure about that.

1 Like

I always get Tonga Toast at Captain Cook’s and macadamian nut pancakes at Kona.

3 Likes

We’re doing Kona on the last morning of our 7-night stay as well. Driving in from POP on our way back to Canada just for breakfast. I loved the Tonga Toast at Captain Cook’s on our last stay (at the Poly) and really wanted to try it at the full sit-down restaurant!

We made a special trip to the Polynesian to hit the Kona Cafe for breakfast last year, as we’ve been to Hawai’i multiple times and were looking forward to POG. (Passion Fruit/Orange/Guava juice) We left mostly disappointed; the POG was good, but the rest of our breakfast rated between bleah and OK.

Did you have the Kona pressed pot?

I’m intrigued by the rave reviews about the pressed pot. What’s so special about it?

Real Kona coffee (not a blend) is not easy to find and it is delicious .

2 Likes

We usually have breakfast at Kona and always enjoy it. Relaxing and then walk around the resort. But if you just want the Tonga Toast, then I agree Captain Cook’s is just as good!

Sounds like Kona will be perfect for breakfast on our last day. I was just worried that we would love it so much that I’d wish we’d eaten there more. We’ll likely do 1-2 breakfast at Capt Cook’s during the week, then Kona will be a nice finale as we transition back to the real world.

I lve french toast, but I don’t know if the Tonga toast will do it for me. But I will give it a shot at Capt. Cook’s for sure.

Thanks for all the inputs!

1 Like

Had breakfast (on my last day) there once. Other than the Kona coffee (which was excellent), to me it was kind of like Denny’s with bamboo. I had the macadamia pancakes and they were OK, but not any better than I’ve had at other breakfast restaurants (other than being way more expensive). The service was mediocre, and if I remember correctly, I had to wait forever to get my check. I wouldn’t be against trying it for lunch or dinner sometime, but for breakfast, it was a one and done for me.

1 Like

I’m drooling right now!

1 Like

I just listened to a Dis Unpkugged podcast and they said the food has gone downhill with the new chef. I have never eaten there, so no firsthand experience.

1 Like

Can I take this back to my room or order to go?

Sorry, I am on my phone so I think you are asking about the coffee? I believe the counter outside Kona sells the same coffee and you can get it to go.

2 Likes

Sweet. I love kona coffee

I did just yesterday!!!

3 Likes

True. Thats how I got it

1 Like

Breakfasting there in the morning, full day 3, and I will let you know!

2 Likes

Can’t wait to “see” about it on your photo trip report!

2 Likes