How Good is Buzz Lightyear?

I’m another who much prefers Buzz to TSMM. I like having control of the car, when and how fasts to spin etc. I’m totally useless at both, but I still give Buzz an 8, and TSMM a 4.

I have a lot of love for Buzz, but in it’s current state, I’d give it a 5.

We rode 2 or 3 times in January and it really needs a refurb. My guns were not working well. And, a little more concerning, I found the floor in the loading area to be a bit squishy under foot. Not the rubber of the moving platform, but the actual floor.

I think it’s last refurb was only a couple of years ago but I think it was mainly for a fresh coat of paint.

I was kinda hoping you’d all agree with each other — so that I would know what to do!

:laughing:

As if that ever happens around here.

4 Likes

4/5. I find it impossible to hit anything which sucks the fun out of it.

MIB is so much better than Buzz! If you weren’t impressed, stick to TSM.

1 Like

TSM is definitely the better of the two. But the truth is, I love BLSRS. It is just fun. So, while I can agree that MiB is overall better, in all three cases, I just have a blast! (pun intended) I think the technology is a bit dated…but, hey…it has been there for quite some time now. It is still fun.

I’m not sure how to objectify the subjectiveness of it, though. But for me, if there are exactly two things to do in Tomorrowland, they are BLSRS and Space Mountain. :slight_smile:

2 Likes
  1. We didn’t think Buzz compared at all to TSMM. I cNt remember why at this point. But I guess I’ll give it another try since so many people seem to love it.

I absolutely love buzz. I really enjoyed tsmm but buzz is one of my must do’s. I think cause it was one of my first rides in DLP. Not that I’m good at it, the only time I got an acceptable score was when the ride stopped right in front of zurg and I spent those couple of minutes just going to town. Even then I think only 50% of my shots hit

Buzz is boring. I’ll probably have to do it again because of the kids, but, yaaaawwwwwn.
Toy Story is a RIOT.
Buzz is more like a small town carnival shooting game mixed with a museum display. Red dots for lasers?

Profmatt - you’ll be the ultimate judge, of course, but I wouldn’t wait more than 15 min in line for Buzz, IF the speedway or astro orbiter were much longer s/b waits.

TSMM will make you laugh and compete, and spin, and figure out ways to out rapid-fire everyone else. Buzz is just…boring. (Just my opinion, of course.) Maybe I missed the point of Buzz. You aim your laser at the different targets in each room, and try to get the major targets? Your cart moves a little using the lever? I dunno, I was waiting for some kind of effects or decent sounds, or anything. I just felt like we were in a kids’ museum space exhibit, pointing lasers at targets in a chair that moved on a conveyor belt, and not much more than that at ALL.

ETA:
Buzz is like Figment in a “can I get that last 15 minutes of my life back?” kinda way.
(I kid, of course…a little.)

3 Likes

Agreed. My list is 1) TSMM; 2) MIB; 3) Buzz.

Toy Story is just so fun and delightful. Aiming is so much harder in Buzz. I was similarly delighted on my first ride of TSMM last year and I can’t wait to go on it again. At least twice. Buzz I’ll ride a couple of times if the line is short. But the spinning makes it so much more complicated!

1 Like

Bite your tongue!

Figment does not deserved to be maligned so!

Granted, that the current ride can’t hold a candle to the original, but still. Figment deserves way better than that!

How can one possibly compare Buzz to Figment?

The current Figment ride is the worst ride in the history of Disney rides, bar none, IMO. I can’t even believe it made it past the storyboard phase.

Buzz, while ranking behind the other video-game-like rides is still a load of fun.

I do agree that the red laser dots make aiming tricky, but again that’s the nature of the technology. The immersiveness of TSM by utilizing 3D is what sets it apart, for sure. But there isn’t much to be done other than introducing fog machines in Buzz to make the trajectory of the laser beam possible. Unlike in SCIFI movies, laser beams don’t travel at human perceptible speeds. So the red dot is your only clue as to position.

Please…
The best thing about Figment is the Jumping Fountains after you exit of that room with all of the broken exhibits.

Also, MouseGirl42, I’m just egging you on. We all have opinions, I’m sure some of the things I like you don’t - it’s all good.

1 Like

He didn’t used to be :frowning: :frowning:

Well… not gonna lie. The current ImageWorks is tiny and boring.

If I were queen for a day, the very first thing I would do would be to restore the original Journey Into Imagination and the upstairs ImageWorks. Now that was a place you could spend hours…

1 Like

If TSMM is a 10 then Buzz is a 7 for me. I like Buzz because you can control your vehicle so there’s an added element that you don’t have to manage when you’re on TSMM. The technology is older on Buzz, but it’s still fun, especially when the lines are quick.

There are some cars where the guns do not aim all the way down so it’s impossible to hit some targets. So don’t be surprised if that happens to you, give it another shot (heh heh.) Also - my arm does not get tired when riding Buzz. I have to space out my rides on TSMM because my shoulder starts to hurt after 2 rides in a row.

I love Buzz, it’s a must-visit when I’m in the parks. But I am a bit overly competitive…

If your shoulder hurts…
Sounds odd to me. Is it because of the cart spinning?
I don’t use my shoulder at ALL. My rapid fire “trick” is to bend only my middle finger. I guess a better way to describe it is to use my middle finger like most ppl would use their index finger to shoot a gun. If you bend your middle finger and place into the “trigger” you can use your whole hand and wrist to help you kind of flip flop your one middle finger up and down. Once you test how much tension you need to fire rapidly, it’s AWN! I’m spraying like a machine gun getting targets 3-5 times before they disappear. Two years ago during a sadly missed nowadays Hollyweird EMM (a moment please,) we got to do tsmm like 6 or 7 times in a row without getting off. My middle ffinger was numb for about an hour afterwards. I thought for sure I was going to be some doctor’s “dumbest injury of the year.”

1 Like

Ain’t that the truth!

I have a technique that works well for me.

My ride pics are never very flattering though. I look like I’m in combat.

Yeah, a smidgy bit competitive.

2 Likes