How do you go bagless in WDW?

I know, the good old days…

Do they not check stroller baskets? If we could fill that up then I wouldn’t need a backpack!

They do check strollers. Easiest if you have stroller contents in a few clear bags.

For solo trips going bagless is super easy - I just take my phone in a case which also holds ID, cards (TiW, DVC, credit card) and some cash. Sunglasses go on my head when not used. That’s it. I’ve never needed to recharge my phone during the day, despite using it for photos and FP+ chasing in DMX, plus occasionally checking in with an online game I play… :relaxed:

Family trips are a different matter. DD5 could probably do it without a bag, but DH…no chance. He is a notorious overpacker, and this also applies in the parks…

3 Likes

I paid attention at the bag check at GF to the monorail. People had to take everything out from underneath on Sunday.

4 Likes

Yep,I just meant if they used a few clear bags they could put them on the table for easy inspection without dumping the contents.

3 Likes

We took our portable chargers last year but this year I think I’m skipping them. They’re so heavy and one of my favorite podcasters/WDW sites (WDW Prep to Go) recently announced that she stopped lugging in her portable charger and switched to FuelRods. I figure if she can do it - and she’s certainly using her phone more than I do - I can at least give it a try.

Sounds like you are in WDW. What’s been your wait times for bag check this trip since it doesn’t sound like you have achieved bagless status quite yet?:wink:

1 Like

Definitely will save time!

1 Like

This is exactly what my DH keeps trying to tell me! I think I might be brave and try it this time…at least for a few days. :smiley:

1 Like

If you want more battery but don’t want to carry portable chargers, there are phone cases with built in batteries. It adds a little size to the phone but less than a separate power bank.

Ironically, such cases are more likely to reduce your cell signal, thereby causing the phone to have to use more power to maintain adequate cell signal. So, using a battery phone case might further necessitate the need for additional battery!

It is best to have a thin, plastic case (no metal) to reduce the likelihood it will require additional power. Also, keeping your phone in something like a pocket rather than a bag with other objects that potentially affect signal can help minimize battery drain. (The number one battery drain for MOST people is the connection to the cell tower.)

Other things you can do to help use less battery so there is no need for an additional power back is to disable WIFI and Bluetooth in your phone settings while you are in the parks (since Disney’s in-park WIFI is rather spotty anyhow). Also, go in and turn off any apps you aren’t likely to use but might run in the background that draw battery. (Life360 is a big battery drain, for example…although, the usefulness of Life360 in the parks might out-weigh the extra battery drain concern.)

Turn off your screen any time you aren’t looking at it. I am surprised how often I see people with their phone screens on while they are just chatting and going about their business. That screen draws power any time it is on. (Dimming your screen, contrary to popular belief, does very little to extend battery life, so don’t bother!)

2 Likes

Words of wisdom, and I’m going to use that as a mantra to counteract my “be prepared, bring everything” tendencies. Except now I have “Be Prepared” from the Lion King on loop in my head. My teeth and ambitions are bared…

I think at this point the only day we’re planning a park-open-to-close day is at AK, so for that one I’ll bring one bag with ponchos, regular-sized sunscreen, misting water bottles, backup sandals, swim shorts/rash guards to change into for Kali River Rapids, etc. etc. But other than that, maybe we can make do with pockets (DH will be wearing cargo shorts at least some days, and I found a good pair of cargo capris on clearance last month – the pockets are lower so the bulges aren’t as annoying, @stlouie) and 2 spibelts for our phones/ID/a credit card, a travel-sized sunscreen and our compact phone charger. It’s the ADATA P10050, fits in most pockets and works well, in case you’re in the market for another one and decide against the fuel rod.

We got this type of collapsible carabinered refillable water bottle free at a neighborhood street fair and I was thinking we could use them, but it seems easier to just get water from the QS restaurants. @sergeantbrother, I bow to your sneakiness.

I’m not so worried about bag check, I’d just rather not carry a bag. I should probably have one for when the kids inevitably get tired of their hats though. But we can decide on a day-by-day, weather forecast-by-weather forecast basis how much stuff we need in it.

1 Like

So, you and @heidelj concur that security lines are not as long as I have heard. We can get through security quickly before RD and have all the benefits of having a back pack. If we are doing most park days opening to closing in mid-December, it would be nice to have a back pack to hold jackets and hats.

Having a stroller is so nice to stow stuff. But with DD21 and DS18, waiting for grandkids is the way to get a stroller again… Enjoy those young, magical days that are full of awe and not eye rolling and sarcasm.

2 Likes

To see Disney thru those innocent eyes… full of wonder and awe. Sigh!

1 Like

I haven’t been since 2016. But yes.
I will go pre-RD with my stroller and a lot of doo-dads in November. I’ll report back!

1 Like

Adding: did DLR last summer with same experience. Had bags open and multiple people with own bags open and ready to go.

1 Like

They can be long but move fairly quick. What you have to watch out for away MK is a ferry or monorail unloading and getting stuck waiting for all those people. If you are onsite and see one approaching as you head to security, hurry and get there first.

3 Likes

Hiking sandals are the way to go in warm, wet environments.

We hiked to see a couple of waterfalls in Hawaii. Sunny skies in the areas around the hotel but we see dark clouds hovering beyond. As we got closer, those dark clouds are hovering the mountains we are hiking! The parking lots were wet. The parking attendants said it was probably raining on the path to the waterfalls. Hiking sandals were great. Quick dry clothes would have made it even better because we were wet down to underwear. Yuck! We tend to wear a lot of cotton. We saw people trying to gingerly hike in flip flops.

3 Likes

Thanks! I would appreciate that. We are leaving California December 9th.