How Disney theme parks will be different when they reopen

Totally relate. While my family (especially my wife and I) has been disappointed about the uncertainty of our Disney/Universal trip that was supposed to be in May, my wife and I have been planning our 25th anniversary trip to Disney for just the two of us for over 5 years, and in earnest for the last three. Originally, we had hoped to do our 20th anniversary at Disney, just the two of us, but it got pushed back to our 25th.

And then, we planned what would be the ultimate trip (for us). And nowā€¦weā€™re concerned that how we imagined the trip to look is not at all the trip weā€™ll end up with. And, of course, thereā€™s the worry that it might not happen at all if the worse-case projections play out.

It is a waiting game, and it is definitely spoiling the fun of the planning for our December trip.

My wife and I just got back from our two-week grocery shopping trip (that is, buying groceries for the next two weeksā€¦not spending two weeks at the grocery store!), and we had our masks on while out for the first time. Gotta say, I canā€™t even fathom, now, having to wear masks at Disney. It was so claustrophobic and I was so hot and feeling crabby by the end of the shopping. How in the world could I last 6+ days at Disney with a mask on in Florida temperatures?

4 Likes

That was a sympathetic :heart:

Itā€™s such a ā€œfirst-worldā€ struggle, but a struggle nonetheless. Iā€™m fortunate that my trip is still a year out, so thereā€™s a decent chance things will be mostly normal.

3 Likes

I loathe the term ā€œfirst world problemsā€. Itā€™s so patronising. (Iā€™m not suggesting you are using it in this sense at all. Iā€™m making a general point.)

I have no fear of starving to death. But it doesnā€™t mean that Iā€™m wholly unaffected by the changes that are affecting my life. Itā€™s a difference of scale, but it doesnā€™t diminish my problems to nothingness.

8 Likes

There will always be someone in a ā€œworseā€ position. That doesnā€™t mean I canā€™t have feelings about my own position!

10 Likes

The only time we use the phrase in our household is when we are discussing our OWN problemsā€¦almost as if to say, ā€œYes, I realize it is a first world problem, but MANā€¦I hate it when 7-Eleven is out of my favorite snack!ā€

I generally donā€™t hear people use it when talking about OTHER peopleā€™s problems. Or, if I doā€¦I guess I just ignore it! :smiley:

2 Likes

I hate that phrase, too, mostly because it is used to diminish peopleā€™s expression of their problems. Yes, I have first world problems. Thatā€™s because Iā€™m lucky enough to live in the ā€˜first worldā€™, but they are MY problems and they are real to me and my physiological and mental responses are also real.

5 Likes

Iā€™m glad over and over again that we went last year. The likelihood of fitting it in over these next few years would have been super difficult anyway. But WDW without fireworks sounds awful. Itā€™s funny what peopleā€™s favorite parts are. For sure mine is the night time entertainment. I even considered canceling an NCL cruise in 2016 when they dropped the fireworks. And I love the projections @sanstitre_has_left_the_building

4 Likes

Hereā€™s how Hong Kong restaurants are lookingā€¦