How Disney theme parks will be different when they reopen

Is it paid in advance? Right now they’ll take every advance payment they can get.

2 Likes

Ok, I’ve been thinking about this. I think the very latest Disney will open is September, and August more likely if they are able to keep a handle on things.

They are going to want to get movie theaters and professional sports back open, and theme parks are a similar animal so I’m thinking they’ll fall under same guidelines as needed.

I think they’ll push for the NFL to play at least the full season, which starts Sept 10. Pre-season scheduled to start Aug 6.

1 Like

Surprised they are considering continuing the fireworks.

2 Likes

Maybe they’ll drop the projection shows so there’s no reason to crowd close up.

2 Likes

Now that’s one thing guaranteed to NOT be part of the changes!

3 Likes

Interesting. I wonder what the false negative rate is for that test. Enough people go through Disney that even a 1% false negative rate would mean a lot of infected people at the parks (if the country as a whole is still experiencing a lot of infections).

Also, people may not test positive right after acquiring an infection. And then you also have the issue of someone staying on-site who leaves for a day trip off-site. If they acquire the infection off-sit and test positive, what do you do about all their unpacked belongings in their on-site resort.

I like the idea, but it may not be feasible.

1 Like

The way even the rapid tests work wouldn’t scale well to masses of people. Each test has to be processed in a machine for minimum of 5 minutes. This would mean entry into the parks would take quite a long time.

I think once the antibody tests are available, they may enforce having to either show a proof of antibody card, or have results from a COVID-19 test from that day, or perhaps previous day somehow?

Trouble is, with most of the population having NOT been exposed, it still means a high percentage of people needing the test.

I’m not sure how doable it is, really.

2 Likes

Reading an article posted on another post, the QR codes in Asia are for whether you are coming from an area that is red, yellow or green. This is based on whether there is an outbreak in your area and whether there is a quarantine, not that you have had Coronavirus. I don’t think trying to verify if someone possibly has or had it would work at all for Disney. We don’t know how long you will keep antibodies and you could be infected, but not show up on a test yet. And with a vaccine, it’s not 100% certain that you will develop antibodies. Even if they admitted by antibodies before a vaccine, why would Disney open for only supposedly 1% of the US population? Not all those people are going to be able or want to go.

By the way, I am in no way advocating for a QR code or any kind of card to be able to travel about the US. We don’t know what Disney is going to do, but I do know that there is no 100% guarantee of staying safe in this world, including DW.

1 Like

I agree with you.

It would be a very good use of one of your FPP

2 Likes

How about we just go back to business as usual and quit worrying about it??!!!

1 Like

UNACCEPTABLE

The projections are the only thing I care about.

I thought they might ditch the fireworks to save money.

3 Likes

They might not change anything. Much of America is getting to a survival of the fittest view where they might just say enough is enough and go back to business as usual.

Edit: we are nothing if not impatient

3 Likes

Well we are known for being a rebellious group of people.

4 Likes

Which is great in terms of WDW reopening. But what if I don’t know how fit to survive I am. Is seeing HEA again worth my risking death? Without projections — No. But with? Difficult call.

4 Likes

On the other hand, having projections FORCES everyone together in a way that JUST the fireworks never did (you could watch the fireworks from almost anywhere, including outside the park, easily).

The projections are a relatively recent addition. It was just fireworks for a VERY long time. The choice to do projections was likely mostly driven as a means to sell upcharge tickets to dessert parties, etc.

I think, in the short term, Disney may have to drop both the fireworks AND projections until they start to see enough guests to start making a profit again. I have trouble believing people will NOT come to Disney because they stop having fireworks. Or, put another way, if someone is deciding whether or not to go, fireworks/projections is likely not on the list of deciding factors.

6 Likes

As DH and I were laying in bed last night I actually posed the question, “Will I still want to go to Disney for my 40th if they don’t have fireworks?”

The fireworks are one of my favorite parts of Disney. Well, perhaps the dessert parties are what me love the fireworks at HS and EP, but HEA is incredible and I can’t imagine a trip without it!!

5 Likes

Agreed. At this point I’d be happy just to be able to walk down Main Street again, buy a Dole Whip and ride People Mover.

7 Likes

What was your answer?

I will probably still go, but I will be disappointed. Don’t get me wrong, I will still be so happy just to be there, but I’ve had this idea of a big 40th birthday blowout trip in my head for so long now, I think there will be some sadness over what could have been. Of course, it will give me an excuse to go back as soon as they have fireworks again!

2 Likes