How Disney Could Fix Genie+

I agree with you there, My thought was that it would allow better access for those that are actually at the park for the first 2 hours vs someone offsite reserving it and not using it.

Yes I know how they work. The kiosks bypassed the need for a ticket, it didn’t have to be your own MB but it could be. It was weird. It might still work for all I know, I think there are still some kiosks around. And the change party meant transferring the FP to someone who was in the park so it was valid when used. Disney did tighten up - that was when they started warning that if the MB hadn’t been used for entry and you tried to use a FP on it, the account would be locked. Before you could do it to your hearts content. They didn’t check that it had been used for entry.

1 Like

Yes you could.

Thanks for explaining that much more clearly than I have attempted :joy:

You are bringing back all kinds of memories of hacks! There was a second hack! You could book FP on an account with ticket media and then “change party” it to yourself once you hit the fourth FPP. That circumvented the “need to tap”. Then they took change party off MDE.

I forget the hack with the kiosks. But that was definitely a third hack.

1 Like

True, with the 2 hour refresh this is less important.

We had an ILL for Avatar last week, it was questionable whether my son was going to be tall enough or not. I asked a CM and they told me if he wasn’t tall enough someone else could use the pass or we could get a refund. He made the height so we didn’t get to test that answer.

2 Likes

I was glad when they shut down the loopholes. I am a strict rule follower.

1 Like

My understanding is the “fingerprint” is really just a finger measurement - it is not saving your print itself - so there would be no way for them to flag multiple fingerprints as obviously multiple people can have the same size finger…

I think that FPP+ favored AP holders and those that went often and therefore knew about the FPP drops.

Yes, this is how it worked and we did it. Two MDE accounts, 2 sets of magic bands, 2 sets of tickets per person….then 6 FPP pre-booked. We would sometimes use 1 set of FPP at one park, and the other at another park. No Park hopper needed.
Before those days, you could actually use your extra bands to scan FPP at the kiosks in the park and they were not connected to the FPP booked on your magic band. You just needed an old band. This sounds crazy, but take it from someone who did this multiple times, it worked. We would have many, many FPP this way. It was amazing and worked for quite awhile. It got really hard to remember what ride was on which band, so often would scan the wrong arm, sometimes twice because the ride would be on the 3rd band. Oops. I used to carry minimum 3 sets of bands per family member at a time. When this loophole was closed, buying 2 sets of tickets was an option. Club level was another way to get an extra 3, but it was generally cheaper to buy extra tickets than pay for club level.

I was told no refund whatsoever, so maybe that policy changed.

LOL a good example of rules exist only because people broke them.

1 Like

Probably. I think Disney didn’t exactly test out a lot of their features over the years before releasing things like FPP, and pretty sure they are still doing it. That’s kind of lazy on their part. There are lots of threads on Genie Plus hacking right now for instance, I am sure Disney didn’t mean for people to let their LL expire, go to the ride during the grace period, tap in first and book another LL, tap at second tap and get another LL……yet they are allowing it to happen. Regular people hacked it right away. I don’t blame people for using the hacks if the people releasing them (Disney) don’t even know (or if they know, don’t care) for months/years. That’s on them. I don’t feel bad about having used them. They could have stopped it before it even started but didn’t.

1 Like

This is the thing I liked the least about MAXpass. It was an absolute PITA to not be able to sign into and book our first FP until aftr we got through the turnstyles.

You are there, all ready to rope drop and get to a few attractions before everything gets busy, …but then you have to stop and do 10K steps on your phone so you don’t miss the first opportunity for a pass.

4 Likes

But do you think it is against the rules to do this now? Buy 2 sets of tickets on 2 separate MDE accounts with 2 separate Magic Bands? You paying for what you’re using, so technically it seems fine. Can a person hold 2 sets of tickets if they paid for them?

If you buy 2 sets of tickets, you are entitled to whatever benefits that gives you. Would you want to do this to double your Genie Plus rides every day? It worked great with FPP.

Nothing solves the fundamental problem of lots of people wanting to ride rides with minimal wait. Too much demand, not enough supply. FP+ made it work by offering things that didn’t really need FP (shows, meet & greets, etc) , tiering the pre booking (club, on-site, everyone else), and relying on lots of visitors not really understanding how it worked - thinking it was an extra cost, not realizing you could get a 4th, etc.

Once you have people pay for it, they are both more incentivized to use it and have higher expectations.

The only model that really works is the Universal/Cedar/Six Flags model of making the Express Pass/Fast Lane/etc so expensive that demand is low. Everyone else waits in the same line, which moves a lot faster because 80% of its capacity isn’t used by the priority system.

The price of VIP went up. It would be cheaper to buy 2 tickets.

1 Like

To restate it’s definitely against the rules. They would have to catch you at the gate though so it would be very difficult to enforce.

1 Like