How cold is too cold?

The degree of soaked you’ll get.

1 Like

I spend 90 minutes yesterday only riding Dudley Doo-Right & Popeye over & over. I rode them each 4 times.

The water is ICE cold!!

JPRA doesn’t really soak you so the water may be “refreshing”, but not the same level of freezing at the two main water rides

2 Likes

Well, i ended up doing Ripsaw Falls before lunch. Those people dryers really make a difference on a cold day. But Bilge-Rat Barges was a hard pass. I wouldve done the JP River Adventure, but my app kept redirecting me until after sunset.

2 Likes

I don’t even ride Popeye when the weather is warm! You can’t get more wet on that ride if you jumped head first into the deep end of a swimming pool.

4 Likes

Yes, but it is a really fun ride. Puts Kali River Rapids to shame.

2 Likes

I did both Popeye & Dudley 4 times a piece when I was there last week. You get really “wet” on Dudley. You get totally “soaked” on Popeye. Plus, Popeye is a good duration. It’s longer than you expect - at least for me. I love them both!

1 Like

For sure. Despite the fact that I generally don’t like water rides that actually get you wet…we have SO MUCH FUN on Popeye. We laugh so much, and with usually minimal waits, we tend to get right back on it after we get off. I don’t think we laugh more than when riding that ride.

So, if you skip any water ride, Popeye should NOT be the one to skip.

You get just about as wet on Dudley…but it isn’t nearly as fun. And the line is horrible for Dudley.

2 Likes

This is so true!! There’s no reason to have all those extended switchbacks outside the building. Then the inside is boring wood panels and actually too cold. That’s why I like to do it in the morning before there’s a wait. The awkward seating makes it slow to load too. I enjoy it once I get one and really want to do it at night some time!

1 Like

Speaking of which…last time I rode it, I actually wasn’t sure I was going to be able to get out of the boat. It took me almost a full minute of re-arranging myself until I could get out. It was kind of embarrassing! I felt like I was an old man.

4 Likes

The very first time I rode Popeyes I was thoroughly soaked but didn’t realize the ride was only half over. I was shocked that it wasn’t over yet, and I exclaimed out loud, “You mean there’s MORE?” Everyone in the raft cracked up. :rofl::woman_facepalming:t3:

4 Likes

FYI Universal will delay ride openings or not open them in the 50s and lower. Same for VB.

2 Likes

I had collected this last year:

1 Like

this is fantastic! would it be ok to reference this with credit in an article about cold weather at uni?

1 Like

Incorrect
Two weeks ago, Ripsaw Falls, Bilge-Rat Barges, and the JP River Adventure were running, and it was in the 50s all day

Sure!

My takeaway was that the 4 coasters all have different temperature thresholds/target to operate. For whatever reasons. (Age of coaster, type?)

Also take notice that they will run at a temperature, that was too cold to start running, indicating that once the coaster is warmed up and operating, it can handle the cold evening temps better.

The temps may not be 100% accurate to UOR, as they were taken from the airport I believe.

5 Likes

I think Joe is referring to “some rides”. Mainly the four I listed.

2 Likes

It’s the temperature range where closures start happening. Hence “50s and lower”.

3 Likes

Here’s one for ya.

The Water Taxis did not run yesterday because of high winds.

2 Likes

That one I’ve actually experienced!

2 Likes

High winds??

Why? Its not like theyre sailboats

2 Likes