How cold is too cold?

Wednesday is projected to be in the mid 50s. Would you want to do Popeye & Bluto’s?
Last November, I did Kali River Rapids. It was approximately the same temperature (maybe a little warmer). But KRR is absurdly tame compared to BRB. Would it be worth it to you?
What about Dudley Do-Right or Jurassic Park?

2 Likes

I rode once in the cold. I don’t remember how cold it was, but I do remember that I was the only one in my raft because apparently no one else wanted to ride in that cold weather. I left it for the last ride of my day so I could make a dash for HRH to warm up. It was fun, but I would probably skip it in cold weather next time.

I would do Jurrasic Park in the mid-50s, but would bring a change of shirt and jeans with me. I haven’t been on Dudley Do-Right in over 20 years so can’t give an assessment of it in the cold. I only rode once and didn’t enjoy it because I didn’t feel safe in the seat belt with the air time on that ride. I think I read that Universal has made some changes to the ride since then, but I never gave it another try.

1 Like

I’d do Jurassic Park, I wouldn’t even consider the other two personally.

2 Likes

Is that just a matter of personal opinion on ride quality, or a warning on the degrees of soaked I’ll get?

1 Like

I’ll add. With low temps in the upper 40’s forcasted for Thursday morning, there’s a risk of Hulk and RRR having a delayed opening.

2 Likes

I would do Jurassic Park if I had ponchos. I would not attempt the other unless I planned to leave the park right afterwards and get a hot shower.

1 Like

I’ve never gotten more than a few sprinkles on Jurassic Park, so I would consider doing that one. But there is no way whatsoever you will get off the other water rides without being drenched. And, personally, I HATE being cold. As fun as those water rides are…I wouldn’t even consider them at 50 degrees!

3 Likes

The degree of soaked you’ll get.

1 Like

I spend 90 minutes yesterday only riding Dudley Doo-Right & Popeye over & over. I rode them each 4 times.

The water is ICE cold!!

JPRA doesn’t really soak you so the water may be “refreshing”, but not the same level of freezing at the two main water rides

2 Likes

Well, i ended up doing Ripsaw Falls before lunch. Those people dryers really make a difference on a cold day. But Bilge-Rat Barges was a hard pass. I wouldve done the JP River Adventure, but my app kept redirecting me until after sunset.

2 Likes

I don’t even ride Popeye when the weather is warm! You can’t get more wet on that ride if you jumped head first into the deep end of a swimming pool.

4 Likes

Yes, but it is a really fun ride. Puts Kali River Rapids to shame.

2 Likes

I did both Popeye & Dudley 4 times a piece when I was there last week. You get really “wet” on Dudley. You get totally “soaked” on Popeye. Plus, Popeye is a good duration. It’s longer than you expect - at least for me. I love them both!

1 Like

For sure. Despite the fact that I generally don’t like water rides that actually get you wet…we have SO MUCH FUN on Popeye. We laugh so much, and with usually minimal waits, we tend to get right back on it after we get off. I don’t think we laugh more than when riding that ride.

So, if you skip any water ride, Popeye should NOT be the one to skip.

You get just about as wet on Dudley…but it isn’t nearly as fun. And the line is horrible for Dudley.

2 Likes

This is so true!! There’s no reason to have all those extended switchbacks outside the building. Then the inside is boring wood panels and actually too cold. That’s why I like to do it in the morning before there’s a wait. The awkward seating makes it slow to load too. I enjoy it once I get one and really want to do it at night some time!

1 Like

Speaking of which…last time I rode it, I actually wasn’t sure I was going to be able to get out of the boat. It took me almost a full minute of re-arranging myself until I could get out. It was kind of embarrassing! I felt like I was an old man.

4 Likes

The very first time I rode Popeyes I was thoroughly soaked but didn’t realize the ride was only half over. I was shocked that it wasn’t over yet, and I exclaimed out loud, “You mean there’s MORE?” Everyone in the raft cracked up. :rofl::woman_facepalming:t3:

4 Likes

FYI Universal will delay ride openings or not open them in the 50s and lower. Same for VB.

2 Likes

I had collected this last year:

1 Like

this is fantastic! would it be ok to reference this with credit in an article about cold weather at uni?

1 Like