Hotel suggestions

I have only been to DL once and it was because I was there for a conference so I stayed at the Courtyard by the convention center. It was OK, but that was a long and somewhat dark walk home at night. This time I’d like to stay closer to DL, but I also want to be under $200/night. I’ll most likely be solo as well so I’d like to avoid the somewhat shady or questionable hotels as well.

Anyone have any tried and true suggestions?

2 Likes

What about renting DVC points at GC? I know it’s more than your cost point but it’s really the best of the best. I agree walking back to a local ‘near-by’ hotel, no matter how close, at night feels risky.

I really like the Tropicana Inn. The short walk is great and the prices are in your range. It’s our go-to spot.

2 Likes

I would love that, but I’m just way too cheap to do that. Especially when I know there are so many options nearby.

2 Likes

I’ll have to check them out. Thanks!

When are you going?

The Grand Legacy is nice and close by.

1 Like

Grand Legacy at the Park has been my go to when solo for years. Park Vue, Tropicana and the Best Westerns are all very close to the crosswalk. I have also stayed at the Fairfield Inn, Camelot Inn, Desert Inn, and the Anaheim Inn. I continue to return to the Grand Legacy the most, just because they always honor my room request (top floor) and I have had no issues there.

3 Likes

We stayed at the Best Western Plus Park Place Inn during our family trip in 2017 and the Fairfield by Marriot Anaheim in 2018 with just me and ds (13yo at the time).

BWPPPI was literally across the street from the entrance to DTD. The Fairfield was a few doors down, but not all that far away. I felt perfectly safe going back and forth to both, no safety concerns at all.

I liked BWPPPI for how close it was and the free breakfast (Not sure what is still offered. It was far from gourmet, but decent)

I think Fairfield was a little nicer, but was a tiny bit further away and didn’t include breakfast.

Both were clean. BWPPPI had outside entrances to the rooms and the Fairfield was more like a traditional hotel with interior hallways.

I would stay at either again without hesitation.

1 Like

Tentatively the week after Thanksgiving. This year at WDW was underwhelming and next year will likely be the same since the 50th anniversary stuff is extending into 2023 so I thought I might change it up.

2 Likes

Adding them to my list!

2 Likes

Free breakfast sounds good to me!

Yay for a West Coast trip!

We’ve stayed at all the same ones as @Wahoohokie and for all trips we check every one of them and tend to go with the cheapest. If they are all about the same then we tend to favor Park Vue (you literally cannot get closer unless you penny up for the Grand). They do tend to be slightly more expensive, but they don’t charge for parking (and we drive) and they used to (may still, I haven’t checked since the parks re-opened) have free bfast- just before Covid they had changed over to a continental from a hot breakfast. So I always factor those costs in when comparing hotel rates. Also, Park Vue’s parking isn’t undersized for the number of hotel rooms & oversold with day parking passes and therefore crammed like a lot of the others along Harbor so it’s really nice.

The Anaheim used to be up there for us as a fave, but the TripAdvisor reviews of things that went down & how management reportedly handled it during the 2020 parks shutdown (they stayed open with dirt cheap rates) made me really hesitant to ever book it again unless they remodel the hotel (which I think they just did so it may be some time yet).

2 Likes

Thanks! I think I’m trying to plan a little too early bc some hotel calendars don’t even go that far into the future yet.

1 Like

+1 for Tropicana! It was perfect for us. Clean, cheap, and very very close.

2 Likes

The Fairfield on Harbor is a solid option. Not sure if it will be under $200 on your dates though.

1 Like

I do have close to 150k Marriott points I could use, but I was trying to save them for a more extravagant location. That is an option though if I can’t find anything reasonable.

1 Like

That it is certainly not! lol Most of the rooms are exterior entry, in case that matters. But the rooms are clean, recently refurbished, beds are comfy, etc.

2 Likes

Sign up for emails from Grand Legacy. They often do flash sales (sometimes they are prepaid non-refundable but not always) and with the amount of time you have until then they are bound to have some and maybe even one that works for your dates. Tropicana and Camelot used to do sales but they are very far and few between, but wouldn’t hurt to be on their email list just in case too.

Fairfield is a fine option, but if you are considering using your points there are much better options, even if they are nearer the convention center (I know you are hesitant to stay that far but maybe you can budget in Uber/Lyft’s as it’s such a quick ride for any nights you are leaving extraordinarily late after park closing).

The next closest Marriot is the Springhill Suites and Residence Inn just a door over on the corner of Harbor and Katella. And also right there is a Sheraton that we used on our SPG points before it was Marriott. I would use points on any of those over Fairfield- with the Springhill or Residence Inn bfast will come with it. Not sure if it’s still the same at the Sheraton but many times we would book it and be able to use points to add club level that came with breakfast and that was a very nice way to get some good bfast and snacks (if we took a midday break late enough for that advantage). But I definitely hear concerns about the general darkness in this area and if I were to go solo, I would stick to coming back at times when most people are to have the advantage of the biggest group of people with me on my walk back. So hopefully something else along Harbor comes through with a sale that works with your budget.

2 Likes

Thanks! I was actually looking at the Springhill and Sheraton bc I do have enough points for either of them. The few suggested hotels I’ve looked into are either over $200/night or not bookable yet. I’ll definitely get on the mailing lists. That was a great suggestion!

2 Likes