Happily Ever After Premier

We watched it from Storybook Circus. Yes, we missed the projections, but I found the show to be incredibly magical and the faces of my two little ones seemed to agree.

2 Likes

Could you still see the lasers and such?

If you’re referring to images like the one that OP has for the video thumbnail, then yes, there is enough haze to see the sky illuminated by those lighting effects.

Let’s not kid ourselves that it’s the exact same experience as watching from the hub, but I just wanted to make the point that it was still plenty enjoyable (even magical) to watch from Storybook Circus.

One disappointment, that was more a technical glitch than anything, but the audio wasn’t very clear from SC last night. It was projected everywhere else, so I think it might a missed cue instead of otherwise intentional.

2 Likes

The fireworks feel pretty strongly that the shows are not designed to be watched from behind the castle so that would be strange.

1 Like

Okay that makes sense, thanks for the input! I know a lot of us were wondering what it was like from the back

Certainly the castle/view from Main Street gives the entire show context. I was just hoping to share from my point of view that the show is plenty enjoyable from other parts of the park.

1 Like

I agree. I’ve seen it pop up here and there a couple of times after Happily Ever After was announced though so it could just be a rumor associated with that. However, I think they’ll eventually end up putting the projections on both sides. The Hub will just end up being TOO crowded (like it wasn’t already crowded) and I think they’ll have to add some projections to the back

I wouldn’t be surprised if they did eventually. Of course there is the production team’s preference, but Disney also has to face the fact that this is something that the entire magic kingdom crowd is supposed to be able to enjoy.

Lol- I loved watching Wishes from behind the castle. Then- I received a very stern lecture from the fireworks crew on how the fireworks were destined to be watched from in front of the castle and then all the reason why :wink:. My only point is that I think there would be a long, passionate argument if Disney ever encouraged that viewing.

1 Like

I have watched several versions and the only one that did not stir an emotional response was the live stream. The audience loved it

I am a huge wishes fan and was concerned about my trip in June, but now I can not wait to see

3 Likes

I actually seriously doubt that it will happen, for a number of reasons.

1. It was never designed to be a “two-sided” show; the only vantage point to see even the FW, the way they were designed to be seen, is from in front. Anything else is like viewing a play from backstage or in the wings.

2. The front of thecastle is “protected” by a mote and a stage, and there is a lot room in the hub. I cannot think of where in FL they could install the (large) projectors needed for a mapping show. Another technical concern is simply the castle architecture. The front has many large flat surfaces; the back has many windows (would you want to be in CRT with a who knows how many megawatt projector shining through the windows) and spites - and very few flat surfaces. They certainly could map around the windowa, but it wouldn’t give them much to work with.

3. If they were to uuse the bottom level for projections, they would have to block off the entire area between the castle and carousel; you can’t have people between the projected images and the castle wall.

4. Operationally, it would essentially shut down FL and effectively divide the park in two. The Hub is already barely passable for about an hour prior to the FW. Can you imagine MS-type crowds filling every nook and cranny in FL?

I agree that it would be nice if there was more to see from the back, but I think the technical and operational issues would just be too hard to overcome.

3 Likes

LOL I have to admit the whole time I was reading your response, I kept thinking “why does he keep referring to Disney installing large projectors in Florida (FL) when we’re talking about fireworks in Magic Kingdom?” haha I’m slightly embarrassed but also very amused.

4 Likes

Thanks for the review. Your post hit on all of the things I suspected when I read the WDW description of what was to be included in the show. We are going in June and my teens were so disappointed to learn that Wishes was going to be canceled. For many years, it has been our favorite experience to watch Wishes together at the end of the night. We love the story lines and music from Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, and many other timeless classics. I wish they would have slowly updated the show over a number of years by adding a new story line here and there, and dropping some of the less popular ones. Your description of “whimsy and wonder” says it well. I’m not sure I want to see a laser show more than once.

The Dis posted a side by side comparison of the two. After watching it, I think they may change their minds!

I’m going to preface this by saying I KNOW they are meant to be seen from the front, however, when traveling with an elderly person in an ECV, it’s much easier to watch from the back.
Last year we did Pirates & Pals on our first Disney night and saw it from the front (amazing). On our MK day, we watched from Gaston’s and we still had an enjoyable show, with plenty of room.
I’m hoping someone posts from behind the castle to see what the perspective is. We are going in August, and my TP was set up to watch behind the castle again. Just don’t think I will be able to set my mom up anywhere near Main St.
We also plan to watch from either the GF or Poly beach on our non-park day. We have a dinner ADR at Park Fare, just not sure yet if we plan to stay at GF or venture over to Poly beach.

I think you’re jumping the gun too quickly. I thoroughly enjoyed Wishes so I can sympathize with the feelings of it going away. However, to call this a laser show is really unfair and incorrect. Everyone is allowed to have opinions but this show has quite a bit more pyro than Wishes and the whole thing is done incredibly well. I think if you let go of the idea of “they should have left Wishes,” you and your kids will really enjoy it. The show is honestly stunning.

2 Likes

I just watched. Holy Cow, Wishes (and I am a big fan!!) looks like a small town fireworks show by comparison.

Thanks for letting us know that is out there to see!

1 Like

I’ve watched the show online over again several times and each time I like it better and better. And the Dis video of the side by side really made me realize how much more there is to HEA. Makes Wishes look bad, honestly. The music I think is what made Wishes, while HEA is an entire package. You could watch with or without music and come away inspired. I think that’s the right word for me. Wishes made me feel hopeful, HEA makes me feel inspired. Excited to see it in person!

1 Like

I’m encouraged by all of your comments. :slight_smile: I hope HEA becomes a new favorite tradition for our family!

I am a little confused about the timing of the castle shows. It used to be that the castle projection show preceded Wishes. Now, in looking at the WDW calendar for June, HEA is going to be at 9 PM and Once Upon a Time is going to be at 9:45. Has anyone seen both? Does the later show have some of the music from Wishes? Is it worth hanging around for?