Guys Iger is KILLING it - more updates from today 1/10/23

Which is great for those who like it.

I have no interest.

In the same way that many people have no interest in Disney or, say, Africa

No judgment - you do you

2 Likes

To me itā€™s only the HP areas that come close to Disney. The rest of Universal is kind of mediocre (my opinion). I donā€™t love the HP rides except Hagrid, but the theming is great. I just canā€™t get around spending $200 ish on one day at UOR park to park. And thatā€™s really all I want. If youā€™re not planning multiple days, UOR is just as expensive as WDW.

We do have plans to go after Epic Universe opens to do all four parks (including Volcano Bay), but not until then. I just donā€™t find it worth the money.

7 Likes

To each their own. I do agree that there is a feeling in Disney (particularly DL) that you cannot find elsewhere but I think Universal comes the closest of anyone else and Iā€™m impressed with much of what they do. Though they rely too much on screens. But some rides there stand the test if time like Mummy and HHN is top notch, their group VIP tours are affordable and amazing with multiple meals, special exclusive places to visit and full on skip the line including express. They also carry slightly better toilet paper and their hotel rooms had more nightstands. They beat Disney on some things and we are winners for the competition. I hope they both stick around for a bit. Iā€™m super excited about Epic Universe and wish Disney would add a park and Iā€™m gonna choose to believe the LOTR rumors which might officially put Universal over the top for me. Plus Volcano Bay is best of the water parks.

7 Likes

I donā€™t know anything about those rumors, but that plus Nintendo would be enough to make me go to Orlando just for Universal.

6 Likes

It was in those videos that someone on here posts @bebe80 I think? They said people that worked for Universal had put on their resumes that they had designed LOTR world and there is room for a full land expansion so they are kind of putting two and two together. Iā€™m gonna just believe it. ;-).

7 Likes

Good enough for me!

2 Likes

Iā€™d love for there to be a LotR land in Epic Universe but Iā€™m skeptical bc
A) why wouldnā€™t they announce it?
B) too much overlap with HP

Hope Iā€™m wrong though!

2 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow: what???

6 Likes

The Mummy is probably my fave ride at universal other than Hagrid. Followed by MIB.

3 Likes

Theyā€™re both for NERDS!

5 Likes

Yeah. IP licensors tend to not like having their stuff right next to something that is too similar in the minds of consumers. I could see JK Rowling and/or the Tolkien Estate objecting to a park that had both HP and LotR lands in it.

For that reason I think Disney would be a better fit for LotR one day.

1 Like

One is 1,000,000 better than the other.

2 Likes

I assume/hope you mean LotR is better than HP? They were written in different eras for different audiences, but there is no comparing w/LotR, bc for practical purposes Tolkien founded the modern fantasy genre. I think HP deserves credit though, for being the first fantasy series since LotR for having a similar kind of cultural impact.

5 Likes

Yes. There is no comparison. The two are as far apart in literary acumen as HP and Twilight are.

6 Likes

I agree LotR has more literary value but I personally enjoy Harry Potter more. Just a personal preference thing.

2 Likes

Seeā€¦ I disagree with that. While I love both, the fact is I canā€™t stand Tolkienā€™s writing style. It took me three attempts to read it before I finally got through it by audiobook.

Where LOTR excels is in the story and world building he did. NOT his literary style. I actually think Rowling has a better style. Simultaneously easy to read, while entirely engaging and immersive. ā€œEasy to readā€ does not mean it lacks literary acumen at all! In fact, it can be quite the opposite. But when you are reading her work, you can practically see in your mind what is happening on the page with no effort.

Ultimately I enjoy the LOTR movies far more than the books. With HP, it is the opposite.

2 Likes

Iā€™m in agreement here. I canā€™t seem to make it past the ā€œabout hobbitsā€ section of the first LOTR book without falling asleep. But I thought the movies were great when I watched them again as an adult. Whereas with HP I enjoy and love the movies because theyā€™re some of my favorite books come to life, but I can get absolutely lost in the books and never have trouble getting engaged with them. Tolkien was an excellent linguist and world builder, but as a novelist hooking readers and keeping them keyed in Rowling has the edge to me.

3 Likes

I think if the HP land is based on Fantastical Beasts and/or the Ministry of Magic, it wouldnā€™t be so much of an issue. Thatā€™s a very urban fantasy environment, which is quite different than the high fantasy of LOTR.

Also those two fanbases are fanatical enough that they wouldnā€™t care if the lands were on top of each other theyā€™d still go in droves

But the Tolkien Estate is notoriously fussy, so Iā€™m not holding my breath for any theme park ever getting the rights to LotR

8 Likes

Yes, Universal was believed to be designing into Epic Universe a LotR land in 2019, as part of a pitch to secure the rights to the brand. One of the expansion pads at Epic U is bigger than the other 4 lands, which are already confirmed. If it happens it would probably be after Epic opens, like a phase 2 .

Remember, Disney attempted first but failed to secure the rights to the WWOHP. I will say that Alicia is a very smart and trustworthy source, along with Screamscape she referred to. @joelbruick there is more details in the video version.

5 Likes

Oh - please, no. Please. I would die watching them destroy it. I have a little more faith that Universal would do a better job.

8 Likes