Good Carry-Ons for Kids

I am looking for good quality but not too expensive roller carry on to buy my two older kids for Christmas. I want it to fit in the overhead bins of major airlines (22x14x9) and cost no more than $150. Cool character or colors / patterns are a plus, but not essential (as long as I can get two different colors - one for DS and one for DD8). I don’t like the super cheap ones that are suited for sleepovers.

Any recommendations?

1 Like

I’m a sucker for LLBean. No cute characters, but grows with them.

Adventure Rolling Duffle Bag, Medium | Duffle Bags at L.L.Bean (llbean.com)

3 Likes

I hadn’t even thought of a duffel bag - I like those designs! I’ll have to consider this for sure.

I know people believe LLBean is not what it used to be.
But nothing is.
And I still find myself very happy with their stuff. :+1:
My DD’s 16 & 18 will be getting backpacks for Christmas. Their brothers have been using theirs 5 (?) years now and they are in excellent shape and they beat the heck out of them.

5 Likes

What fun and practical gifts!

We are big fans of LL Bean @QwertySC, and also of Lands End. Yes, they are not what they used to be but they are still very good.

My kids have had their own carry ons and personal items since they were 6 and 8. I went to our local Marshalls and picked suitcases from a quality brand (Heys) in their respective favorite color. Quality spinner wheels were a must and this meant $$$. Otherwise, the suitcase would be hard to pull. I also bought them each a bag with a trolley sleeve. The bag slips onto the luggage handle, doesn’t slide off, and fits under the seat. They used the bag to pack their carry on stuff. You know, their toys, books, snacks, stuff animals, etc. The suitcases don’t have characters on them so at 22 and 24 today, they still use those carry ons and bags with trolley sleeve. DS was on the petite size for awhile in there. He struggled with pulling the suitcase on the streets of NYC and DC because the streets were rutted and not smooth like the airport! He couldn’t pull the suitcase behind him or alongside him. He had to push it along the streets!

5 Likes

I was going to say the same. Marshalls. Quality spinner wheels. Bag with trolley sleeve. All of it.

6 was the age where my DS could maneuver a carry on through the airport on his own and the Samsonite hardsides we bought back then are still in excellent shape (he’s 10 and we fly a few times a year but use these for road trip weekends and vacations too). I like that they will grow with him and are used by both of us interchangeably. We have varying shades of muted blue in various sizes so it satifies my (obsessive) need to have things color coordinated as well. My carry-ons were $65 each at Marshalls but that was 2019.

ETA: if the kiddos want to dress up the luggage maybe fancy luggage tags would be a good option. Fun stocking stuffer, easy to change along with the ever-changing preferences and phases, and plenty of Disney themed options. And then you can get a Star Wars luggage tag too!

5 Likes

Yes! I didn’t want to get new luggage every time they outgrew a phase!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: In 2006, my kids’ carry ons were $35! DD’s is purple and DS’s is blue. They both have packing cubes with those same preferred colors!

2 Likes

Color coordinated packing cubes changed my life. We have a DS color, a Mom color and then a color specific to our carry ons when we are flying so I know exactly what is where and will never be caught with lost luggage and no underwear.

2 Likes

just a quick google search looks like JC penny has some good collections (have some Disney themed ones too)

1 Like

I agree that colored by person packing cubes help keep us organized but they have never prevented us from forgetting to pack something! We have been known to make a stop to buy socks and/or underwear!

2 Likes

I keep my packing list in my packing cubes! (I may have a problem)

3 Likes

no you don’t. That’s brilliant.

2 Likes

We like the American tourister hard sided luggage. We have the burst max set. I know they have a bunch of fun character ones that are high quality as well!

1 Like

I might end up going to Marshalls - I think I got my luggage there or at Ross or something similar.

Good idea!

2 Likes

Any reason you chose hardside vs soft side? I saw American Tourister didn’t have much soft side in the sizes I would want.

1 Like

You didn’t ask me, but my answer would be: Because Kids. Which would you rather someone vomit on?

1 Like

We liked the hardwired because it seemed a bit more durable. We have flown with them 3 times and they still look brand new. We are going to use them for our Paris trip as well.

1 Like

Are there a lot of luggage vomiting incidents?

2 Likes

Maybe just too many kids in my life. In my experience if a kid can break it, scratch it, spill something on it, pee on it, or stick it up their nose there is a fair possibility that they will. But then again, I worked with kids and grew up with a lot of kids so I may be a skewed sample.

2 Likes

I have six kids and to date we have never had a luggage vomit incident.
YMMV

1 Like