Good Carry-Ons for Kids

It was more of a theoretical example of why a hard side might be more preferable with regard to durability ability to clean with ease. Said (typed) with a cuckle as I imagined all the damage a child can do to a peice of luggage over the course of many years. Vomit was just the first thought that popped into my head. Probably because I hate it the most and my kid gets sick on airplanes.

2 Likes

My son has a hard sided Amazon basics carry on.

Itā€™s pretty darn nice for $75.

1 Like

This is actually relevant to us because my DD8 is famous for her vomiting incidents. :rofl:

Soft side appeals to me because Iā€™m worried about my kids getting hit with the bag somehow. Thatā€™s probably a greater possibility for us. And my kids are quite petite. Also a lighter bag is easier for them to pull. But I could consider hard sided after looking at all the options.

Iā€™ll have to look this one up.

3 Likes

My kids all use various color patterns of rockland hardside spinners purchased on Amazon. They all like them, and theyā€™ve survived well.

1 Like

They are strong enough to ride on.

2 Likes

Talk to me about the repeated ā€œgrows with themā€ comment.
Luggage that grows with them? Help me out. Or maybe itā€™s just early. But what does that mean??

3 Likes

We have trunkis that my kids love! But they are hard to find now in the US. Iā€™ve gotten both of mine used (which is totally fine) but I had to wait to find what I wanted.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve always used and understood the expression to mean the opposite of ā€œgrowing out of somethingā€. One may grow out of their petite sized pokemon luggage but a standard sized carry on will grow with the child. As an example.

This thread is an excercise in language and luggage! (I like alliteration).

3 Likes

Those are really cute!

2 Likes

Oh neat way to use that phrase

I was thinking - especially as we mentioned LLBean - about things such as ā€œgrow along sleevesā€ where you can make the sleeves of a coat just a smidgy bit longer to make the coat last a while longer too

4 Likes

I could use some of those sleeves right now! DS is growing like a weed all of the sudden.

3 Likes

Yup, and thatā€™s the point :smiley:

Highly recommend. We used them twice with our kids and eeked out a little more season vs them outgrowing the coats before the season ended

4 Likes

Weā€™ve been happy with American Tourister luggage. And good luggage should last a while, so I probably wouldnā€™t get kiddie-themed stuff.

For a carry on, Iā€™d do soft sided, because sometimes just a little bit of ā€œgiveā€ is useful for fitting in overheads.

2 Likes

My issue with hard-sided luggage is that usually one side closes with the zip-around panel. Iā€™ve had the zipper break on one of those and then you have nothing to hold the items in on that side. Tried sewing in straps but one already came out. Can anyone suggest a good hard side brand that has straps securing both sides instead of a zip panel?

1 Like

DS8 has had a pottery barn kids one for 4 years and it has held up well. We will probably buy a new one or upgrade to PB Teens because he has outgrown the pattern.

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen this around and always thought that if I got these for my kids, it would basically be 90% me carrying them, 9% of me dragging my kids on them and 1% of the kids actually pulling or carrying them.

Iā€™ve come to the conclusion that a reasonable sized backpack is the only thing kids might carry themselves, anything else is just more trouble for me :smirk:

2 Likes

My son used his LLBean backpack from kindergarten through senior year. Itā€™s in his closet now, still structurally sound.

4 Likes

We used to have soft sided luggage and rolling duffel bags and had a trip where it rained a ton and when we picked up our checked bags they were soaked and a bit damp on the inside even so we converted over to all hard sided luggage about 3 years ago and love this set. We carry-on the smaller set all the time and have had no issues. They wheel easily for the kids, they are currently 12, 8 and 4 and they love the front zip section that gives them quick access to their books or tablets when we are sitting at the airport. I feel like we can fit quite a bit in the carry-on and usually travel with that and a personal item (kids take a small backpack). They have survived several domestic flights, an international flight and countless road trips and still look great. You can purchase just the smaller carry-on as well.

1 Like

I just bought inexpensive spinner wheel suitcases, then went to amazon and ordered covers for them. DD has a crazy galaxy design, and Iā€™ve got Stary Night. Easy to pick out if they are force checked.