Genie launched - start date Oct 19th

Please do and report back…our trip is a couple weeks after yours and right now I’m also planning on following my TP and just hoping for the best. I was hoping we could sleep in a couple of mornings, but think RD is going to be the only way we can avoid G+ or LL$$$ when we are there the weekend before Thanksgiving.

1 Like

I definitely prefer a flat fee.
On one hand I think an extra charge might offset extraordinary expenses for harder to care for species or breeding programs, but then it deters people from experiencing them and appreciating animals that are endangered or require specialized care, ideas that might help people appreciate stewardship.
Maybe a catch-22?

2 Likes

We’ve wanted to stay at the Grand Floridian for years but never have but we booked it for December and got the room we wanted. Personally, I’m VERY tempted to walk away from it and stay elsewhere but I’ll make this the last on property stay ever. It’s not worth it anymore.

2 Likes

what i would love to see in my personalized tp is a recommendation on if buying G+ or ILL/IAS is worth it. if a ROTR is 120 mins at rope drop but is expected to decrease as the day goes on, i wouldn’t buy anything, but if that number goes up and IAS may be out of distribution by noon, i’d provably spring for the $15

3 Likes

We are a DVC family with enough points for 1 trip a year- but we do 3-4 long weekend cash stays usually using AP discounts ect…Cash stays at this point are done for us until I can see some sort of perk or a benefit.

2 Likes

Will there be one big thread like this for people to post their experiences with using Genie+ and ILLS?
I’d love to be able to read first hand accounts of what works what doesn’t work, what they would do again, or do differently etc.

5 Likes

I’d really like to see the weekend Twitch streams again while they test Genie+ do we can see how it works.

3 Likes

We could definitely start one. It’s probably a good idea.

3 Likes

Our trip starts on October 19th so we will be one of the first to experiment. We are going to AK that day so I think that should be fine since AK is an easier park to plan for. We will be buying Genie+ for all the days of our vacation and will most likely buy both LL$ per day too. Time is $ for us and every minute we can save is important to us, YMMV.

We plan on using this like FP of old. We will grab a Genie+ and LL$ at 7am. As soon as we can we will grab another and so forth. Keep stacking it all day.

Will report back how we do.

5 Likes

I was at MK yesterday and the three times I road something wait times were pretty off (55 min posted for HM, 18 min actual - TP predicted 15). I had less dramatic experiences this summer, but TP was always more accurate.

3 Likes
  1. I’m so glad I have a year to figure out this stuff – and a year for the kinks to get worked out of the system. I’m supposed to be signing up for a 401k, and it’s only slightly less confusing than Genie+ and LL. I want to go back to bed, cover my head with a pillow, and go back to sleep.

2. It’s launching on October 19th, which is my dog’s birthday. I am going to have to buy a cake to make up for the resulting disturbance in the cosmos. Doris Daylily is not supposed to eat cake. But I would just like to know how else I’m supposed to make her birthday good if Genie+ is launching on the very same day If Not With Cake!!!

4 Likes

I was thinking a lot about this yesterday. My initial reaction to this after our summer trip was “whatever, take whatever money you want, I am never standing in multiple 60 minute unshaded lines again”.

We’ve gone from 4 day trips from our first trip to 8 day trips, largely because of Fastpass tiering. If we wanted to do SDD and RNRR, we need two days at HS. If we wanted to do all the more popular rides at MK, we need two days. However - if I can just buy access to the headliners, will I really need two days at HS? Or 8 days at Disney at all? I can probably save a ton of money by buying these upgrades and shortening our trip by a day or two!

Some reactions to the LL choices:

• My son and I are not roller coaster people, so I’ll never need to pay extra for space mountain or Everest (I’m assuming SM will become Tron shortly)
  • My daughter loves Everest single rider line, so not sure we’ll ever buy that
  • We are BC/YC/BCV fans now, and rope dropping Epcot is pretty easy. Plus, our kids went to Epcot EVERY NIGHT in our last trip (daughter did single rider of TT four times in an hour) so not sure we would necessarily use this?
  • I would pay any amount of money to not wait in the FOP line or ROTR line again, especially after waiting 30 min in the rain on Friday
4 Likes

I won’t say never, but I will do everything I can not to purchase G+. I can see a lot of frustration coming to those that expect it to work like the older systems.

Imagine paying for G+, selecting your first ride of the day, and it shows up at 8pm. That would leave a bad taste in my mouth.

3 Likes

I’m sure someone posted that you can see the times before buying it. And if that did happen I’d go straight to Guest Services and ask for a refund. I’m pretty sure Disney won’t want that happening.

Like happens at DLP, I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t do “drops” of Genie+ passes, and also,ILL$, to avoid that kind of bad publicity.

3 Likes

I’m kind of the same, and also echoing what @tpielech said.

We’ll get it some days, maybe not all. DH and I at least will try the early entry thing, and we’ll use the extended hours if they’re still happening.
But certainly for every MK and DHS day.

But I’ll just buy the ILL$ for RotR and FoP on those park days. Probably MMRR too unless we do get everyone there to do it first. And Tron too, maybe even 7dmt.

I know I said early on there would likely be no re-rides, but I don’t like it. I guess I thought there would be tiers like at DLP old style, where you could get an unlimited option. For youngest DS who really doesn’t ride many rides, it would have been good if he could just get repeat passes for things like Speedway, Jungle Cruise, PP etc.

1 Like

We have a short trip, first time in over 10 years I’ll have been in HS or AK, first time my husband has been in 20 years. So this is sort of our once in a lifetime. It’s postponed from 2020.

We scheduled a vip tour to get in all the rides and not leave with regrets, but these offerings sort of change that. Do we just buy ILL for each day and skip the tour? Do we buy nothing and have our non tour days be pretty limited because lines are out of control? Will the LL lanes be 20 min waits like old FP was and make our tour not at all efficient/worth it? We’ll have basically a week of data from you all to decide. Very interested to see how this goes.

That would be great. I did start this one for advice and articles directly from Touring Plans. It has suggestions for every park. I’m sure I’ll be sharing more here when they get published:

3 Likes

Complete opposite my next trip in November

Heading down for D23- this will take up most of my day - with the old system I would have booked my 3 FP for rides I want to do after 5 pm…

Now with the new system if I am reading this correctly I purchase @ 7am and it will only show next available? No way to accommodate in advance for other activities like ADRs ect…

2 Likes

It’s going to be a gong show. Almost every time I used MDE this trip, I had to kill the app! My friend to - so it is both an iPhone & Android thing.

Thankful for the Lines App, as it was much easier to open that up and check wait times than MDE.

Plus the wifi is awful.

2 Likes

IT fails is the main reason I think it’s bad practice to rely on getting ILL in your touring plan. If they go fast, like fop and rotr likely will. It’ll be ADRs but while you’re in the park. The frustration of planning the trip while I’m on the trip is going to be the worst part of this for me.

3 Likes