Genie launched - start date Oct 19th

The Genie+ system only allowing you to pick up the “next available window” takes a bit of getting used to, compared to the old fast pass system. The rhythm is a bit different and the available windows for each ride move at a different pace. So in DLR, Radiator Springs Racer would be distributing 8:00pm windows at around 1:00pm. But BTMRR would distribute 8:00pm windows around 6:00pm. It depends on how popular the rides are.

But you will start to figure it out - especially because nobody else will know what they are doing! There is a bit of a gamble to it “if I pick up this ride for later in the night, will this other ride have anymore LL when the window opens back up?” but that happened with FPP too.

4 Likes

Good feature idea for @len and team - based on a specific attraction and time, predict when LLs will be distributed for that time and send an alert/push notification 15 minutes before.

8 Likes

It seems like most people plan to spring for genie+ but not necessarily ILL. That’s interesting because maxpass doesn’t have nearly that level of adoption day to day in Disneyland. Will be curious to see if that holds over the long term, or if the nature of the visitors (eg less locals) makes it consistently different.

1 Like

I think the difference is that people could get paper passes for free.
Also, I think there is self-selection going on. Anyone that says ‘No, Never’ to G+ isn’t visiting this thread.
I am excited for G+ and I freely admit I am the ideal customer for it. On my To Do List is buying $450 in gift cards for G+. I am dreading the phone call to reservations.

2 Likes

I think most people here on TP will purchase it. I think the general population will be far less likely to purchase it.

1 Like

When people on Disboards say that they aren’t getting it I think “Good”

2 Likes

Interesting, I think liners will soon figure out they don’t need it whereas newbies will assume they do. I would think HS is where it will be useful if anywhere.

5 Likes

As a Liner I expect to figure out how best to get along without it, and purchase only for a couple of days’ worth of most trips when family is there. More inclined to buy as solo traveler or short stay though too.

9 Likes

Good point, I think people on solo trips will definitely be more likely to buy it.

1 Like

They should be ready for this. The DLR app had this feature. A little graph for each ride showing the average time for final distribution as well as information on what time that ride was distributing right now.

I definitely used this to help plan my day. I had notes for when I would want to grab a few key things and made sure I did not lock myself out during those times.

Edited: just found this list in my notes. Compliments of touring plans graphs:

TSMM: out by 5:00
Soarin: gone by 6:00
GOTG: gone by 3:15
RSR: out by midday
Incedicoaster: out by mid to late afternoon
Goffy’s: out by 9:45
GRR: gone by 6:15

7 Likes

That is what I am thinking. We have a trip in a few weeks so will probably try it out for a day or two and try a day or two without and see how things go.

1 Like

As far as on site perks here is my prediction
Here is my guess- free dining is done….

I would bet that the new it’s slow lets get em in the door perk will be - resort package w/free genie+ instead of dining

And just like free dining different resort tiers were given different dining packages- I am thinking genie + to values, 1 LL+ for moderates and deluxe gets full genie & 2 LL.

• the caveat would be just as it was fir free dining unavailable for AP or DVC stays - must be full package.
3 Likes

So here is my question: The TP crowd calander adjusted way down for the week of Oct 18th just a day before WDW announced the Oct 19th launch of Genie+. The Crowds are showing 1-3 all week…do you think this announcement will impact wait times in any meaningful way that week? I am curious because I will be there and really don’t want to spend the money if the lines are level 1 or 2 low.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum! I am sure you will get many different opinions but I have found that, for me, I always plan for 10 days and I am thrilled when I am wrong. Planning for a low crowd and then getting my plans thrown off by high crowds can impact so many parts of my day.

2 Likes

I don’t think many guests are clambering to show up for an up charge. But anyone who covers Disney will be there that day to check things out and report back. So I assume crowds will adjust up. And unlike the 50th, these people will need to go on the rides to test this system.

2 Likes

That screen shot is priceless

• maximize flexibility **UP UNTIL ARRIVAL **
4 Likes

Have my first stay off propery in decades coming up- at this point with no perks I canceled my upcoming stay at AKL - moved myself to Dolphin thanks to great advice about Priceline here on another thread. Saved myself almost $250 a night and still get the deluxe hours!

5 Likes

I agree. I think the “newbies” will get it. and maybe some liners. I think people who have always been rope dropping liners probably won’t see the need.

1 Like

Also has anyone heard if they will be including the Early entry hours in the Genie+ times? I assume probably not, but with Disney, I don’t want to assume anything

My trip dates are 10/24-10/30 (going solo with 4 park days and a park hopper ticket). I Don’t plan on getting the Genie+ for any of my days. I am however curious how the Genie does on optimizing my park experience in comparison to the TP. I feel like TP doesn’t have a vested interest in how I navigate through the park (outside of the data component) while Disney does have incentive to steer me in a direction to their benefit. I may follow the TP plan and see how it lines up with the Genie plan.

4 Likes