One thing I’ll say though is that if I were to have added Genie+ to my trips in 2021, it would have increased the overall cost by about 3% or so. Strictly speaking, it’s a lot of money, but on a relative basis it’s more palatable, and may be worth the peace of mind to know it’s taken care of. Same reason some people do Dining Plan, even if they aren’t saving money.
We will be day-of people. I don’t plan to use it often if at all (remind me I said this after I throw money at it) so I plan to pepper use of it throughout our trips so as to use it when our tolerance for waiting has hit a low. Days 1-2 even 3 your energy and excitement is up and you can handle more. Day 4+ you’ll want a break from it. At least we will.
I am thinking I will definitely use it for DHS and maybe MK for my solo trip in January, but I don’t see the need for EPCOT or AK.
…although my current plans have me hopping to EPCOT after starting at DHS one day and AK the other, so I may have it after my morning/afternoon at DHS.
For me it was because I knew we’d be getting them for every day since we were already going to park hop with rope-drop, mid-day breaks and park close. That seems like we’ll be able to get max use out of G+ every day.
The rush is that I won’t be surprised if they raise the ‘introductory’ price.
I feel as though Disney is winning. People are paying for Genie+, which is only going to cause Disney to find the next way to charge more. And the more who keep paying for it, the more it will make lines longer for others, who will then feel they have no choice but to pay for it.
I’d like to think I’d stay strong and not pay for it…but it will depend on what happens in the next year or so with this.
I think that I’m feeling like I should add it just because it settles one thing in a trip that Disney has deliberately made unsettled.
Personally, I like having done my homework. Having something in my back pocket.
I like that when DW turns to me and says “hmm I’m actually kinda hungry. Can we grab a bite now?” I can say “Sure, pizza? burgers? what do you feel like babe?” and I already know where the nearest options are.
Time spent in reconnaissance is seldom wasted.
But now Disney wants me to fly by the seat of my pants.
And that’s unsettling.
Ignorance ain’t bliss.
This is probably why most of us are having a little (big?) freakout over this thing. We had things under control. We knew how to do the thing. How to weave and bob and stay out of the crowds.
They have taken that sense of control from us and really is quite unsettling.
Another Genie+ pre-purchase, at least for now, it that wit’s a set rate for all days, so the weekend/surge price bump is avoided.
If you’re going to use it every park day, pre-purchase is slightly cost effective - and I’m guessing Genie will helpfully suggest upgrading to G+ before arrival.
Not for us, but Disney marketing has a lot time to change my mind before our trip next year
I don’t think everyone is buying yet. Probably not most AP holders. Not budget travelers. And most others won’t buy every day or for every ride. So far the lines haven’t been significantly impacted, as far as the TP crew can tell. You can still get on EE in 10 minutes, and there are minimal waits at Soarin’, etc.
Right now, it looks like I would probably buy Genie+ only on one of my Studios days, as my touring plan shows four attractions with hour long wait times. One the other hand, on my first Magic Kingdom day it looks like I can get everything in that I want with a few 30 minute waits - not worth reducing. Most days I can manage waits by getting to the park early. My Touring Plans sub is getting more valuable!
Of course people were going to pay for it. I don’t want to, but I am for many reasons. I won’t buy the individual rides though. G+ will be one of the many reasons we won’t be back for a long time.
I’m not sure why anyone thought that people would band together and not pay for it. They pay for DVC, dessert parties, prix fixe meals, VIP tours, etc… People paid for FPs precovid. It’s what some people do and why I’m getting off the Disney train after this trip. I might hop back on when someone comes to their senses with this mess, but I think that’s going to be a long time coming.