Genie - Initial Impressions

I am already thinking about this too. Would be awesome for a girls trip I’m planning.

1 Like

Disney+ does have it - plus the original 1940 RKO studio version!

(Story goes that Walt bought the rights to the RKO version, then confiscated all prints so the new one wouldn’t be compared to the old one. Not sure I buy that story, I seem to remember watching the 1940 version on rainy Sunday afternoon TV movies as a kid.)

5 Likes

I watched (well, kinda skim-watched) the 1940 version when Disney+ first came out. It was a little more dated in its values. But I was impressed by the filmmaking given its time.

2 Likes

So, I have 2 day, 1 park each day convention tickets. They are good all day, although I’ve gotten the after 5 ones several times before. These saved me $50 per day, per person. I’m not going to the convention :upside_down_face:

I think I’ll be able to use G+ but I don’t want to call to add it in case they ask me about the convention. I’ll prob plan to add at midnight the night before.

3 Likes

I’m already throwing $1,000s at this trip…

5 Likes

I can’t decide if it’s better or worse than Universal saying “pay a lot more for express pass…but it won’t be complicated!”

1 Like

Both versions are on Disney+. That was one of the first liner movie matinees!

3 Likes

Ah but then Universal softens the blow by making it part of staying at their Deluxe-equivalent resorts.

In the end, keeping things simple is worth a lot.

8 Likes

This is exactly what I did yesterday

Everyone keeps saying how complicated it is but I don’t see it… then again, I don’t plan on using it either so maybe I’m just not picking it apart. I do agree that EP at USO is much simpler. A family of four buying LL passes everyday… would add up thought.

I know this was yesterday but no. The Tip Board for me is saying something went wrong, for My Day it tells me to get started and when I try it says I have to link tickets, which I’ve already done.

I think it’s complications stem from the windows, different “start” times for LL and LL$, nuances/hacks about late and overlapping LL times… but I’m sure a lot of it is magnified because it’s new.

But aside from a general dread of change, pessimism about Chapek, and the agony of learning the new system, I think I’m dreading the reactiveness of the system.
Touring at the whim of push notifications.
Nothing is planned and that’s just anathema.

This isn’t Genie.
It’s Stitch

12 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :joy: You do have a way w/ words

2 Likes

Hey you leave Stitch out of this. He’s just a hungry alien who likes to eat pages and loves his ohana.

5 Likes

I think if you’ve used MaxPass it feels familiar so not that confusing. I get there are differences but I think in general the idea is the same.

5 Likes

Oh, thank you for this… yep, that’s it alright :wink:

3 Likes

This Genie doesn’t work for free!

2 Likes

Betcha Aladdin’s re-thinking that third wish now

2 Likes

My vote is worse … much worse. Simplicity is part of what makes a vacation, a vacation.

2 Likes

As an example, one of my good friends is at WDW now with his wife and kids (ages 4 and 7). They purchased Genie+ for each day of their trip and will buy ILL for the rides they are interested in, but have done zero planning other than ADRs. I offered to help them plan, but they wanted to wing it. This is their first trip to WDW, My friend said they will likely go back in 2-3 years. They arrived yesterday and today is their first day in the parks. He texted me that they are having a great time (at AK today).

6 Likes