GCH - Early Entry / Hopping w/ Park Reservation

Definitely alot less than what there used to be! Karen and I used to see every trip a man with his child out late begging for money. This went on for a few years. So frustrating to see, especially when there are so many services available.

1 Like

There was an article when I was in high school about how some made a full-on living begging. Like driving off in their Mercedes at the end of the night.

It’s super frustrating when there are people with serious health problems who are being ignored because of the scammers.

1 Like

I haven’t experienced any of these things. Sometimes we stay further down Harbor and take the Toy Story lot shuttle. Other times we walk. I’ve seen plenty of homeless people or people essentially begging etc. but have never encountered anyone aggressive or who made me uncomfortable. Maybe just lucky.

@OBNurseNH I wouldn’t stress about it too much. We’re staying down Harbor in a couple of weeks so I’ll let you know what we find.

5 Likes

Ok Liners… Here’s my updated situation…

I just had to spend $6550 on an entirely new A/C system. Luckily, I had an “emergency fund”. However, I’m starting to rethink spending an extra $3,100 to stay at GCH versus a Good Neighbor Hotel. That’s double the price of a full week at The Best Western across the street…

I know it’ll be my once-in-a-lifetime trip, but I feel so guilty spending so much just to be on-property. My trip is still 400+ days away and I’m sure I’ll wavier about any choice I make for a few more months. I’m seriously thinking I may double book a reservation at a Good Neighbor hotel just to have it and give myself the choice.

I’m really looking for advice to talk me into my original plan (2019 - 2020) of staying across the street. I stumbled into a fun part-time job and made the money to be able to afford DLH or GCH. So… it’s not like I don’t have the money for an on-site stay, but I could use it for more travel later.

What’s everyone’s favorite place to stay near Disneyland? My criteria - in order:

Distance
Cleanliness
Comfortable Beds
Cost
Quiet

I know I’ve had this debate for soooo long. I appreciate everyone being so understandign!!

1 Like

So far Tropicana and Homewood convention are my two favorites. I have stayed at Fairfield, Tropicana, Homewood, and Wyndham Anaheim. A friend of mine and I are trying to stay at all the popular Harbor hotels. My next stay is at Camelot.

2 Likes

I’ve got my eye on Homewood Suites by Hilton Anaheim Resort Convention Center, but it seems like it’s further than I’d prefer. I really want my DW to be able to stroll directly to the room whenever she wants with ease.

It is further, but I like that it has a shuttle to and from the park to/from the Toy Story Parking lot (no extra walking). I am staying here in November because there are three of us going and none of us care to share a bed. I got a suite with a pullout couch. Courtyard Marriott might be a good one for you.

1 Like

Does anyone know the estimated distance from DLH to the front of DL?

1 Like

0.5 mile

It’s honestly not far at all. DH commented on how small Downtown Disney was compared to Universal’s Citywalk. However, after four days of standing in lines that half mile can hurt. lol

5 Likes

City Walk is quite the hike. It is one of the things I dislike about Universal. That and that I can’t fit on most of the rides :’(

My hubby has a hard time with the Disneyland dark rides and roller coasters. He’s 6’5” and there is no leg room in bobsleds and dark ride cars for him at all.

1 Like

Ohhh that’s interesting-

My sons have issues with a few at WDW

any others that are notable for tall leggy people

We are going in a week with my nephew and he is 6’ 8”. It ought to be interesting to watch! He has been several times recently, so I am sure he already knows what to avoid. This will be my first trip with him since he was 9 (much shorter then).

1 Like

My tip is to let him ride alone on rides like Mr Toad, Pinocchio so he can sit kind of sideways. On the Matterhorn I think maybe the front seat is the best?

I am not sure what strategies he and his wife do. They visit both WDW and DLR pretty often. She is no slouch at 6’ 1”. At 5’ 8” I am the short one in my family :unamused:, so these are issues I do not have to contend with.

1 Like

oh boy, I stayed there once on a recommendation by a friend in 2019 and it was horrible. The room was dingy, run down, water stains on ceiling, towels paper thin… gross! I had res at PPH but the friend I was going w/ said it was too rich for her blood so I changed to Camelot and then she stiffed me for the whole bill. If I had known I would have kept my great mil rate w/ PPH.

1 Like

Yikes! Was it Camelot or Castle inn and suites? I have heard some bad things about Castle, but not Camelot. Camelot and Tropicana both recently went through renovations. So even if it was Camelot, hopefully I will have a better experience. I enjoyed my stay at Tropicana in May, so I hoping it will be similar at Camelot.

1 Like

You are not short, they are all freakishly tall!

I am 5’ 7" (“average” height for a woman). My sister is 5’11" and my brother is 6’ 3". I tell them I am the normal one every time they call me short! :rofl:

2 Likes

Oh… you are correct… sorry about that. Names are too similar. I looked up both for picture confirmation. Your Camelot looks much better than Castle :grimacing:

2 Likes

Phew 😮‍💨!

2 Likes