Galactic Starcruiser Taking Final Voyage 9/28-30/23

I never thought it would make it three years. That’s typically the amount of time most business need to prove they are sustainable.

I’ll just repeat what everyone else says… too expense / too niche…

This might make it salvageable. I don’t know the layout or what they’d do with all the extra “fun” / “exploration” areas. I’m not even sure where it is on property. I know they took you over in a shuttle. Would it be feasible to convert it?

5 Likes

I’d do this.

3 Likes

I wonder if they are considering using the space and expanding Hollywood studios…
It can DEFINATELY use some more attractions.

7 Likes

This is how I viewed it, except that we were priced out from the start. I’m really glad people were able to go and make great memories but I always wondered how this was sustainable. Maybe they thought it would be like families who go on Disney cruises multiple times?

4 Likes

I don’t think its possible. This is a “show” not a hotel you, can’t lower the price, without cutting back the product … and that doesn’t always work.

Phantom of the Opera just closed on Broadway because it wasn’t making enough money. It could lower prices, but that wouldn’t solve the problem - - more tickets sold, but less revenue. Also, it can’t just cut half the actors and have the same experience.

Halcyon was a show . . . using Equity actors, and performers… I don’t think they could just cut the costs without materially affecting the product. Think about this… how much would tickets to Phantom of the Opera cost if there were only 100-400 tickets available for each performance…

I think it was just to expensive to produce, for the number of “tickets” they could provide…

11 Likes

They could just expand Batuu to encompass the hotel and re-work the experience. Also of note the Lake Nona project has been cancelled. Wonder if that had anything to do with DeSantis? Too bad so many Imagineers left because they did not want to uproot to Florida only now to have it remain in Cali.

5 Likes

Can’t wait for Defunctland’s documentary on the Galactic Starcruiser.

18 Likes

I assumed that was cancelled back when it was just “paused”

5 Likes

I think if they were on the fence the hostile environment may have come into play.

4 Likes

Just saw this tweet, lol

16 Likes

Can’t you almost hear his narration now?! He’s brilliant. I binge his channel all the time.

5 Likes

I kinda want to just to say I did it. I think we all knew it wasn’t booking well, but this is pretty shocking. Maybe if they hadn’t waited so long to offer discounts on it people would have booked more.

8 Likes

OMG! That’s sad. And I don’t even care for Star Wars.

3 Likes

If there’s a <$1000pp fire sale right before close then maybe I’ll do it.

5 Likes

They are in the middle of a giveaway. Awkward.

8 Likes

Honestly, I wanted it to be 3 days instead of 2. That would really change the value for me. The discounts were ok but didn’t sway me much. I’ve never been but based on others reporting, everything seemed rushed and it was over before you knew it. That trip to Batuu was relevant to the role play aspect but really cut down your time on the ship. So you really had 1 full day and 1 evening on the ship plus a partial day in Batuu. That’s a lot of $$ if you think of it that way. If they would have extended the trip by 1 day I think the experience would have appealed to a much broader audience.

11 Likes

I didn’t really know where in relation to everything the hotel is located so I pulled this up…

It’s not impossible to repurpose it. I don’t know how you would route transportation to it and around the parks…

I don’t think some type of Hogwarts Express or SW:GE expansion into DHS makes any sense, but it’s a major investment to abandon. Although it wouldn’t be the first time WDW did abandon a project of this size.

With this closure and Epcot Forever all closing around the same time, Disney is definitely writing off 2023 as a major loss.

8 Likes

In theory it can still be a Star Wars themed hotel, just not immersive.

6 Likes

Yes… that’s what I wanted to show. They’ll need to build more roads and rework some things. I’m just not sure if they want to dump more money into it. Sadly, it’s sometimes more “cost effective” to bail on a project than try to rehab it for a long term success.

3 Likes

I don’t know how you would retheme it - the exterior is SO UGLY. Even the drive to the building is ugly. I was dying laughing as we pulled up - we spent what to go to this boring looking building?

I’m bummed. I would have liked to go again. And had they made new stories, I would have booked in a year or two for sure.

8 Likes