Forgive me, I'm confused

That is great news and I hope I see the same email soon!

2 Likes

I received my email from David’s this morning. Same one as posted above and I responded to take the travel credit. I know they didn’t need to do it, so I really appreciate them going this extra step! Much better frame of mind this morning :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Got the email last night! A relief. Does anyone know the terms and conditions of the travel credit? The email says it can be used towards a regular Disney resort (value, moderate, deluxe), but does that mean that David’s DVC is operating as a travel agent? I wasn’t aware that they did anything outside of brokering DVC points?

2 Likes

Because you can use points to book cruises, I imagine many of them are also licensed travel agents.

Technically, you can use points to book at just about any resort…the number of points needed for non-DVC resorts are WAAAAYYYYY more though. I don’t know if that’s what they mean in this situation though.

1 Like

Apparently, they are acting as travel agents, but for some reason, under the terms of their travel credit, a new cash reservation for a Disney resort cannot be canceled or modified…

I may have missed something in all these discussions, but isn’t this the reason for travel insurance, particularly ones with “cancel for any reason” coverage? It might not get you all your money back, but at least the majority.

ONLY “cancel for any reason” plans apply in this situation. Travel insurance covers very specific situations and only those very specific situations. My insurance said in March that coronavirus is NOT covered.

1 Like

Going forward it won’t be covered at all, even under the cancel for any reason. Pandemics will now counted as “known risks”.

The problem is if you get ill with the Coronavirus and can’t travel, are you covered? If you get ill with it whilst on vacation, are medical expenses or extended stay expenses covered (relevant for those of us from the U.K., Canada, anywhere overseas) etc.

2 Likes

I feel bad for people that are caught in this situation, and I am glad to hear the stories of owners and David’s trying to do their best to make this right. And I understand that things will be different going forward. All I’m saying is that there has been a fairly inexpensive product (travel insurance) available that would have helped so many people. I myself am risk averse. I rented points for the first time for a vacation that was supposed to be happening in a couple weeks. Although I do not always get travel insurance, I did this time because of the money at stake and the increased risk. And it really pays to shop around and read each policy before purchasing. You usually have a few weeks from the date you put down a deposit until you buy the policy to get “cancel for any reason” coverage.

I’ve spoken to the DVC Rental Store about this and they have confirmed that their Cancel For Any Reason policy will still stand. Of course, that only covers the cost of renting points but they confirmed it’s good for known risks or whatever.

Dave’s on the other hand confirmed that next year should the pandemic return, they will not offer credit or do any of the other amazing stuff they’re doing this time. Going forward, the risk is entirely yours.

1 Like

Insurance does not need to be purchased through the company that rents the points, although if they have and good plan I can see the benefit of dealing with a single company. There are many companies that offer insurance for different needs that would cover the whole vacation, not just the points.

yes that’s true.
I just wanted to point out that the one DVC rental store’s insurance policy will still cover COVID-related cancellations.

2 Likes