"Family versus The Beasts" Trip Report (08/02/20 - 08/15/20)

I agree with you on the Pandora area at AK. It looks awesome at night, but with AK closing early, its just ok. Same with FOP, we were not impressed, but we have only rode it once. We are going back this Sunday hopefully it changes our opinion.

Yes it starts with Avatar but even the CMs don’t call it that!

4 Likes

We never drive on property unless doing a split stay. We hire a car and use it for going offsite. DH is the only driver and he likes the freedom of not being a chauffeur. And to be able to have a beer if he wants one.

5 Likes

Actually, I never heard the CMs call it anything. They just played a role and explained what we were supposedly doing!

Which reminds me…we never saw the blue Na’vi man in the tank while in line. Is that room being bypassed or something? I planned to take a photo and we never saw it.

I don’t necessarily mean the CMs working in the ride, I mean CMs you’re chatting with in general. But there’s probably less of that now, I don’t know.

I see.

Doesn’t matter. I call it both, and I heard people calling it both. I guess I don’t care who doesn’t call it that! It IS in fact called that by people…me included. And not sure why it matters.

2 Likes

We’re just teasing you for being contrary.

2 Likes

Stop agreeing with me. It’s confusing.

FTFY

4 Likes

Floating mountains.

I enjoy the look of Pandora during the day and at night. But I’ve never found the floating mountains convincing. They are clearly supported by the vines.

1 Like

Did you walk the full line? If you do the FPP line you miss it.

Not sure. We went through quite a lengthy walk, including a room that looked like a control room of some kind, so I expected to see the tank. So they must have shortcut part of the queue.

But I wasn’t being contrary. I was merely saying we were headed to Avatar in my report, and then @sanstitre_has_left_the_building corrected me thinking I meant Pandora when I didn’t…I actually meant Avatar (aka, FOP) within Pandora. Then I was picked on for calling it a legitimate name for the attraction. And now here I am defending my legitimate use of the name still. :wink:

1 Like

2 Likes

You really must! I’m going to hijack this thread a little.

First decision is whether you want to do a stay at a camp/ hotel with morning and evening drives, or more of a moving about safari using a few different bases.

Then you need to decide if you want a hotel or camping safari.

You also have to adjust your mindset majorly. Hotels / camps are obviously basic. Pools, where available, are small and rarely have any features or pool bars. Food is fine but there is often little choice, and will often will be a fixed meal - no ordering off a menu for dinner. Transport breaks down, drives can be cancelled, itineraries changed etc.

But go for it. It’s amazing.

We did a Kenya & Tanzania. Several hotels in different areas, so sometimes just a night in a hotel and travelling onto the next one via a game reserve. Stayed 2 nights on the rim of Olduvai Gorge and did a whole day inside - which was the only day we could get out of the vehicle on safari. Then another 2 nights in the middle of the Serengeti and did the morning and evening thing with the middle of the day at the pool. Personally I didn’t enjoy that at all, I liked being on the road.

Finished off with a few days at the coast. We could have based ourselves there and done safari days. So lots of options. I probably couldn’t do what we did again, I need more frequent rest room breaks these days! :joy:

4 Likes

So, where was the tank? Are they in the same room?

@Nicky_S when did you visit. We went in 1998. It was spectacular.

Here’s another family that calls is Avatar. Like, I just heard my daughter say to a peer a week or so ago, “We got to ride Avatar three times because my mom grabbed a second set of fast passes and then she and my grandmas didn’t want to ride again.”

1 Like

There’s the circular thing in the middle, which you walk all the way round and the tank is in an adjacent room that you walk past but don’t enter. I can’t see how they’d cut it out. As I’m picturing it, you have a large square space, the walls of which are windows into other rooms. At the centre of the square space is the round thing. Thus you are in a square / circular corridor, surrounded by glass on both sides.

Hmm. Weird. I know the line was moving pretty quickly, but can’t figure out how I missed it when I was actually looking for it!

Maybe I was posting here in that exact moment. :smile:

2 Likes

It just sounds odd because no-one on this forum ever refers to it that way. It’s always FOP. We love our acronyms here.

4 Likes