Epcot Spaceship Earth Closing?

My trip is June 2020. (I know - not the best time, but I’m a teacher, and that’s when I can go) Am I hearing correctly that Spaceship Earth will be closed? I’m already bummed that Wonders of Life is closed, and Universe of Energy is closed. Would Epcot really have 3 major attractions closed for summer? We are staying at the BoardWalk - and love the idea of being close to Epcot, but I starting to think that Epcot is going to be a total bust.
Thoughts?

I haven’t seen confirmation of this nor a specific timeframe.

The only dates WDW has released is closed “spring 2020” and reopening TBA 2021. I’d be concerned if it is a “must-do” for you on this trip.

There is a chance that Ratatouille would be open by then as it is “summer 2020”. The new Beauty & the Beast Sing-a-long is supposed to open January 17th in the nearby area. Plus, it helps that it Ratatouille is an exact clone of an already built ride. There shouldn’t be any major construction issues.

That has been closed for 12 years.

1 Like

LOL. Yes, I know - I was referencing the old ‘wonders of life’ and ‘universe of energy’ pavilions will be closed - if SpaceShip earth is also closed, and the park is under construction, is Epcot even worth it this summer? With 3 major pavilions closed, seems like a waste.

Personally, it’s not worth it to me right now and I like Epcot. FW is basically a construction zone with walls up in most places. Once you’ve done the few E-Tickets there, walked the WS a couple times to see the pavilions and eaten / drank your fill you’re basically done.

I’m not going back to Epcot until at least 2021 when a few of the new rides will be done. But that’s just me…

Thanks - I appreciate your input.

1 Like

Epcot was a two day park for us, but we are reducing it to a single day for our May trip. Still, we are having to really rush. Still more to do than we can do easily in a day. FW still has M:S, TT, Soarin’, LWTL, The Seas, and Imagination. Tons in World Showcase as well.

2 Likes

I think it kind of depends on you and your interests in Epcot. From what I understand, WS is still pretty much the same and I think it merits a day in and of itself. If WS interests you then I’d say do at least one day. I’d do two days if you can because, like @ryan1 mentioned, one day is tight even with so many closures and it’s gigantic size wise and tough to tackle in one day!

2 Likes

Thanks for all the feedback! I can’t imagine going to Epcot and not riding Spaceship Earth. It is so iconic - the idea of not riding it kills me.

1 Like

Calling WoL and Energy “closed” implies that they will reopen. Those two are “gone”. If SE is closed, you still have Living Seas, Turtle Talk, Soarin, Living with the Land, Circle of Life, Imagination, Test Track, and Mission Space. That’s actually quite a lot. WS is my real reason to go to EP; ever since we lost Horizons, The World of Motion, the original Imagination, and Living Seas without Nemo, FW, for me, has become something to do in the AM while waiting for WS to open.

I would never completely skip EP because WS is still one of my favorite places in WDW, but as others have said if all I had was 4 or 5 park days, EP would probably only get one of them.

2 Likes

Unless something changed recently, Circle of Life is closed.

3 Likes

I have loved Spaceship Earth since my first visit to Epcot in 1982 … but when I rode Spaceship Earth this past October, I kept thinking “Wow, this is really dated and needs a change.”

3 Likes

Same. I’m sad that we won’t ge to ride it (probably) on our next trip as it’s one of my daughter’s favorites, but it is badly in need of an update and I am excited to see what they have in store.

Before OP’s trip, the “Circle of Life” replacement movie, “Awesome Planet,” is scheduled to open Jan. 17, 2020.

2 Likes

For our trip in May 2020, we decided to split Epcot into two (maybe three) shorter visits since we are staying at the BC. We plan to head to HS in the morning, take an afternoon break when we’ve finished everything we wanted to, then head to Epcot for dinner and a few rides. Same thing the next day - hopefully we won’t have much left at HS the second day and can spend more time at Epcot (RotR is the wild card right now). We might alternate to a morning the second day and have lunch. That way we can have more meals at WS and avoid eating at HS, where I’ve never been really impressed with the food options.

I just love the atmosphere of Epcot. From the bustling energy of FW to the charm and scale of WS, it’s a nice place just to walk around and soak up that unique flavor of Disney magic.

1 Like

Have you been to FW since all the construction walls went up? I would have agreed with you until I was there and experienced FW with the walls.

1 Like

No but I’ve heard about it. At least we have three new “worlds” to look forward to in a couple of years!

1 Like

The new movie opens with the Canada movie in January.

1 Like

Test Track is getting refurbished in early 2020. It will be closed from January 13th - February 26th. I expect Spaceship Earth to close after Test Track is back open again.

1 Like