Eating Around the World with Kids at F&W

Ack! No lanyard then…

2 Likes

yeah, well, in 5 runnings of the WDW Marathon so far, I’ve never failed to get choked up and start crying, at least a little, somewhere between England and France.

Because after 25 miles, I’m finally back home. And no matter how much my body hurts, emotionally it feels amazing.

2 Likes

I’ve only done a half marathon. Once. Never again. Because I WANTED to cry afterwards. :wink:

(Okay. So I’ve edited your original comment to completely change the meaning…but I didn’t actually CHANGE your words, so it is still accurate, right?)

3 Likes

Good for you!

I’ve been crying because I was OVER IT and that stupid finish line was NEVER getting there.

2 Likes

I am with you. HATE running. Never got the “life changing” thing some people claim the finish line is.

When you’re not having fun even doing Disney races, it’s not the thing for you.

1 Like

Aww, sad face.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not going to be the jerky runner who tells both you and @ryan1 that “you just need to find the right program” or “right race” or “right distance”. Because ultimately, if you don’t enjoy it, you don’t enjoy it. And owning that is a good thing - especially if you can own it without making fun of those of us who do enjoy it. (for the record, I am not accusing either of you of making fun of me or other runners. just to be clear).

Just gives me a little bit of a sad.:disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

Right. I still run. I do 5Ks. I do it to stay healthy/in shape. But I still don’t ever enjoy it or feel great because of it. I just can tell I am healthier as a result of doing it, so I do it.

I only ran the Half Marathon as part of a fund-raising effort for World Vision. I was proud of myself, but man was it a lot of work to get there. I vowed never again. But then I heard about the Half and Full marathons at Disney, and had this fleeting though about how cool it would be to run at Walt Disney World.

A half of a second later I came to my senses.

1 Like

You know, there are 5K races that coincide with the larger race weekends…

1 Like

I CAN make fun of you, though…if it would make you feel any better!

Actually, I love that people can run and somehow (?!?) find pleasure in it. After years and years, it just has never happened to me, not for lack of trying! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Let’s just say Green Army Man always got a very UN-Disney-like gesture and word from me whenever I had to pass him. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m much happier doing TKD - other than sparring. I don’t like that either.

2 Likes

Agreed!

I tried. I really did. I’m sure the pace-snobs in my running club didn’t help - nothing like running your heart out and getting a lower pace than you ever thought you’d see only to see other people berating themselves for being horribly slow at a pace that was at least 5 minutes FASTER than the PR pace you just set. :frowning:

The time I did Goofy and was miserable, I decided that was it. If I couldn’t have fun at a DISNEY race, it was not the sport for me.

1 Like

Well, I probably will try to find time to run a couple times next trip down there when we stay on property. That will have to do. Because it isn’t really worth driving 2000 miles to run a 5K when they have them a few miles away. Still, I can just IMAGINE how cool it would be to enter Epcot for that final stretch, seeing Spaceship Earth, etc. I can understand the emotional feeling it must evoke. I’ll just live vicariously through you!

2 Likes

I think I’ll pass.

Honestly, my pet peeve on the subject is whenever I mention a run or a race and the person I’m talking with makes a comment like “I only run if there’s a bear chasing me.” - as though nobody should enjoy it. I can only sit there and thing, “dude, I understand you don’t enjoy it. just please don’t pretend that nobody should like this, and remember that I don’t make fun of your hobbies.”

Sorry… people who complain about running when they’ve asked me a question that requires a direct answer involving running really kinda tick me off. (yes, I’m venting a little)

1 Like

So plan a regular WDW trip on a race weekend so you can catch the runDisney race? Nothing says it has to be the only thing you do that weekend… :wink:

1 Like

Oh, preach it, sister!

I remember running my first 5K. There was also a 10K going on at the same time. The 10K runners got a 10 minutes start ahead of the 5K runners. So there I am, approaching the final corner where the 10K and 5K runners meet back up to make the final push to the finish line, and a whole slew of 10K runners had the AUDACITY of getting to that juncture BEFORE ME, even though I was running half the distance.

3 Likes

Aw, man. You take away ALL the fun.

Actually, I’ve heard the same thing. And you’re right. It is annoying, even coming from a guy who doesn’t find pleasure in running. But I think there is a certain level of being intimidated that causes people to say things like that. Like, somehow the fact that I CAN run a 5K (or whatever distance) and they can’t makes them think I think less of them or something.

3 Likes

Ugh, that sucks. I’m sorry you got stuck with that kind of an experience. And a miserable Goofy is no fun, either.

I wish there was some way I could improve your experiences (either of them). Since I know I can’t, I promise not to push you on them.

But if you find yourself anywhere in my vicinity on a race day, I will invite you to come cheer for me and a few thousand of my closest friends. :wink:

2 Likes

Well, one thing I’ve done is convinced my kids to run with me. This was the fourth year in a row that I’ve had at least one of my kids run with me. Two years ago, I had four of my kids running the 5K at the same time, including my DS6 (at the time, he was six). I’m a somewhat competitive person, so while it didn’t make the running/training FUN, exactly, it did add in an element of camaraderie and competitiveness that made it MORE enjoyable at least. I mean, I had one run when my DS14 finished ahead of me by a full minute, which forced me to have to train harder for the next race. And as a result, I’m now a full minute faster than HIS best time. :slight_smile: And it was also a proud papa moment just seeing my daughter set her PR this year.

3 Likes

I do have to say, at my first officially timed 10K, there were 3 different loops of parts of Governor’s Island that we had to do. I was finishing up my SECOND loop and I heard the course people being like “First female coming” and I was making it clear I was NOT first, when the actual first female came flying past me. BUT she crossed the finish line and immediately turned around and started cheering me on. Didn’t make it feel any better physically, but it did help a little bit emotionally and ego-wise.

1 Like

I do still cheer and/or support. In fact I’m signed up to be a ferry rider for the NYC Marathon this year!

2 Likes