Dvcrentalstore without insurance for early June trip

We got similarly screwed. Won’t rent points or do Airbnb again. I’d rather pay full price direct through Disney and know I can cancel/reschedule easily. We have 1 night still booked at Bay Lake on January 3, 2021. I’d transfer it to someone I know who lives a couple hours from Orlando if I could.

I’m in the same boat. We too have a reservation thru the DVC Rental Store at BLT on January 3rd. It was our Christmas present to the entire family last December before this Covid monster reared it’s ugly head. Unfortunately a month ago my entire family let me know they did not to go anymore because of Covid. When I contacted DVC Rental about options all I got was a canned response with the “no refund” terms of the contract copied and pasted in their email. The wording and terseness of the response was insulting, especially for a repeat customer like me. As upset as I am about the loss of money and a missed opportunity for a rare family vacation, I have no one to blame but myself. I was the one who made the decision to use those guys knowing full well the risks. Still, my tech-savvy kids have suggested I produce a YouTube video about those risks and our mistake to better warn others. :thinking:

And yes, at the risk of offending the DVC owners on this forum I too will pay Disney rack rates before ever renting DVC points again.

2 Likes

That’s terrible, they could at least try to rent the points to someone else.

Agreed. Or let people transfer the reservations (even for a small fee) if they find someone on their own to take it on. I know people who live near Orlando. I’m sure I could find someone to take my reservation.

In my email they specifically said they would not do that. What is amazing to me is that DVC brokers like these guys know full well what is going on. If you check their web sites (especially David’s), there are hundreds (if not a thousand) “confirmed” or “dedicated” reservations listed for rent … and have been since WDW reopened in July. It looks like my family isn’t the only one that doesn’t want to go the WDW right now. Apparently so do a lot of DVC owners who are flooding the market with their reservations. And given that some in some cases rental prices are now down to $8 - $10 a point, it doesn’t look like there are a lot renters who want to go either. The old law of supply and demand at work. It has become painfully obvious to me that with this company at least I am treated simply a source of cash, not a customer. But again, it’s my bad.

At least David’s said they would list my reservation in case someone else wanted it (the contingency being that it was ultimately up to the DVC owner whether or not they wanted to be bothered with redoing the reservation if another renter is found). I’m also on chat and there are a couple of threads discussing the DVC “deals”. I finally got to where I posted a reminder that behind every deal someone lost a chunk of money (although they do lose less if someone goes for the deal).

This was my first rental experience but I think it’s really a “black swan” event so not sure I’m off it for good.

1 Like

That’s really odd. I just cancelled an October trip with pointed rented from DVC Rental Store and the very first thing they did was ask if I wanted then to list the booking on their site so I could get a little money back. The email read as a form email so I wonder what the difference is between our bookings.

Yeah that is really odd, and I consider myself lucky I was booked before they opened.

I’d probably try to email back and ask if can at least try to list it in hopes someone takes it, or of not why since others have been able to get theirs listed.

It may be like HutchFamily said, but DVC rental talks to owner first and if not willing to deal with rebook they just don’t offer to list.

Seeing all these I’m really hesitant to rebook with my credits for next summer. I hope we are in a better place, but who really knows and they do say clearly it’s a one time use and there is no refund/rebooking allowed with the credits.