Dropping days from a Disney hotel reservation

Let’s say I want to stay 5 nights at a Disney hotel, but I’m not sure exactly which nights within a limited range. Could I, say, make a reservation at Pop right now for Nov 10 thru 17, then, in September, drop it down to Nov 10 thru 15? or, alternatively, to Nov 12 thru 17?

Let’s assume that by September Pop is all booked up for my dates. Would Disney let me modify my booking in this way, or would I need to cancel and start from scratch, hoping that my cancellation doesn’t get snapped up by another guest before I can rebook?

Yes you can drop days.
Sometimes you have to call.
Sometimes you have to call multiple times
Ask @Dreamer
But you can absolutely shorten your stay.

4 Likes

That’s what I was hoping to hear, thanks!

1 Like

Now I’m curious to hear from @Dreamer. Good story?

Agreed

I couldn’t alter my reservation for this past december online so I had to call. For whatever reason, it took very long, probably like 20 minutes on the phone. Seemed like there was some technical glitch when modifying it and the person helping me had to put me on hold several times. She was very friendly and apologetic but it was a bit annoying to wait. Any way, I was able to drop out a couple of days from my reservation which I intentionally stretched to cover changes in our travel plans.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your experience. It’s good to know going in that there might be an annoying phone call to deal with down the line. I can handle it. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

And it might be that the first cast member will tell you it can’t be done. It can be done. So just hang up and call back and get someone else. I think sometimes it has to involve a manager, because in the system, because shockingly at poorly designed, it’s looking for a room inventory and not considering the fact that you’re using the currently booked inventory and just modifying it. It’s dumb.

3 Likes

Ugh. I still need to call again. So mad I wasted time with the useless CM.

2 Likes

Not good story. At least not yet. But @OBNurseNH has given me some hope.

2 Likes

You’re removing days from your trip??

1 Like

Update. I was successfully able to shorten our resort reservation. I called back and got a super helpful CM.

6 Likes

Good to hear! Thanks for the report!

Did the CM do your modification as though it were just a matter of routine? Or did they seem to imply they were doing you a special favor?

1 Like

She told me that normally I should have been able to modify it myself online. She thought it was odd I couldn’t. She then struggled and thought that was odd too. She got GS involved and it was fixed. It sounds like my issue was a glitch. So it should normally be easy.

4 Likes

This is my favorite line of dialogue that is laced through the hold music.

“Did you know that you can make many of the most common modifications online?”

I want to throttle the person every time because if I could do that I certainly wouldn’t be waiting on hold.

5 Likes

Preach!

3 Likes

So, this is encouraging, because it lends weight to the theory that Disney policy is that shortening a reservation is perfectly okay and not subject to their discretion.

3 Likes

Sounds exactly the same as in my case last fall!

3 Likes

Exactly. I wish I could have done it online. It would have been so much easier.

3 Likes

Exactly. She said my reservation should have had a modify option online. So normally it must be easier to do.

3 Likes

Well, that’s annoying. I was hoping what happened to me was a fluke.

2 Likes