Dorian wants to play? Ok then: let's play

go get that dorian, randall! have a great trip!

2 Likes

I’ve definitely done this with the same results.

1 Like

I’ll add that one of the times I did this it was because we added 3 days to the front end of the trip due to a possible storm landing (which never happened, and even better the storm passed south between FL and Cuba and sucked all the moisture out of the air so we barely even had any rain at all the whole trip).

I called the day before our new departure (as soon as I changed our flights) and they said not to use the yellow tags I already had and to just give my claim checks to the DME people. It worked out very well.

2 Likes

Do you… have… transcripts… of all your phone conversations?

:confused:

3 Likes

I think he used chat.

I was just reading the TP Blog post about tourists preparing for the hurricane. You gonna stock up on some food supplies and stuff in your room once you arrive? Or just chance it?

1 Like

I would def consider hopping an Uber to the store on arrival to stock up some stuff for the room. Last hurricane they shut everything down and gave boxed lunches out. I would want something better. Also extra battery power for phone/iPad and some reading material

3 Likes

My friend near Orlando said the stores were out of water and propane yesterday. Still had beer though so he was good.

2 Likes

The storm appears to be slowing down. Now it won’t be off the coast till 2pm Monday and will be in the Orlando area around 2pm Tuesday. I’m more confident that the parks will be open part of Monday.

2 Likes

…what? Don’t you?

bringing a boat load of snacks with me. I’ll be stopping off at the dvc store for other small stuff, like milk

Yup, got two hearty 10,000 mah batteries that were going and even loaded up the iPad with a few movies.

2 Likes

Heh.

Dorian’s a Slow poke.

1 Like

Just keep in mind that the forecast track is for the CENTER of the storm, and remains uncertain this far out. Also pay mind to the earliest likely arrival of tropical storm force winds, because that’s when you’re likely to see the possibility of some outdoor rides being affected, maybe some closures. NHC’s latest (5 pm Thursday) has the likely arrival of TS force winds in the Orlando area between 8 pm Sunday and 8 am Monday.

Edit: and if the hurricane grows, it’s going to start to affect Orlando while its center is still quite a bit out.

Edit 2: Irma was 400 miles wide, for example.

1 Like

Good points. The forecast intensity and track for this storm is very similar to Hurricane Frances in 2004, and back then they closed the parks both the day before and the day of landfall on Florida’s east coast.

However, landfall was at 1am, whereas Dorian is currently forecast to make landfall in the afternoon Monday, so there is a chance they will open the parks Monday morning if the forecast holds. Unfortunately, there is just as much a chance they will have to close the parks Wednesday as well. They’ve never closed the parks three days in a row before, so I feel like they’ll figure out how to keep them open on the front or reopen on the backside of the hurricane.

And it looks like it loses intensity when it hits mainland. The rain looks like it around the center and north so I would plan on monday afternoon and tuesday hunkering down at DW. On a positive note, if its cloudy, it soooo helps that intense heat. Humidity is a bummer though. Make monday, early dinner, at a resort and tuesday a rest day. Should be back to Disney normal by Wednesday.

1 Like

Thank you! We’re committed to making this Disney trip.

Newspaper articles with evacuation zones and WDW phone lines completely tied up - presumably with folks canceling - have had me feeling idiotic at even contemplating going anyway much less getting in that van day after tomorrow to begin our big birthday bash journey to WDW.

This thread however confirms our decision to press on regardless.

Thanks!

1 Like

Just get to Disney by sunday night, early Monday and ull be fine.

2 Likes

That’s what I’m seeing. We usually overnight in southern Alabama on day one. Up early on day two for a short (8 hrs typically) drive into Disney. Usually arrive tween 2 & 3 pm. Which would be Sunday.

We were just talking this afternoon we might not see as much traffic heading south as we are used to.

We’d love to have Monday morning in the park. We’d be happy to hang out after that til Wednesday if necessary.

1 Like

Van camping!

1 Like

Anyone who shows up will have practically empty parks the day or 2 following the storm if they do actually close the parks, so there’s that benefit even if you lose a day

2 Likes

And with Batuu drawing them off as well…everywhere, but Batuu, should be awesome.

Well…rainy…but awesome.

2 Likes