Do you buy bottled water?

Love water bubblers (I’m from New England).:relaxed: People look at us funny when we say that.

We always buy bottled water - even to brush teeth.

The NYC water mostly comes from acquifers up north of the city - all that running down hill makes it taste good. :wink:

1 Like

Doesn’t a lot of that leak out of the pipes? Some tragic figure, like billions of gallons?

I mean, if it leaks back out into the ground then it’s good for the acquifers, I guess.

2 Likes

I haven’t read any recent figures at all, but I remember a report awhile back that something like 20-30 million gallons per day were leaking. There was a new bypass tunnel project going on to re-route things so they could fix issues and also to increase capacity for the future. Hmm, Not sure where that stands.

Back in the 90s, the private company I worked for supplied water to areas of Queens and Nassau counties. It had been created in the late 1800s (I still have all the documents! Very cool ledgers etc.)

The company was being split up and sold - the Queens assets to NYC and we created a new Water Authority for the Nassau side. Some of the meetings I sat in were about how assets were getting divided (I was going to hand off an old customer information system) - and also projects that were in process.

One project was a water main that ran across a bridge over the Van Wyck Expressway - IT WAS MADE OF WOOD. Was one of the original water mains. I wonder if any of those are still out there?

2 Likes

:smile:
Well, it will be- in about a hundred years!
But if they’ve already been leaking that long- then I guess it’s all being recycled, isn’t it. Good thinking.:+1:t2:

1 Like