Do you buy bottled water?

Last minute trip coming up in 17 days so I’m not up on all the changes (trying to catch up). We normally get the free QS water. Is this possible currently?

Well, I’m no fool. While in Orlando I exclusively drink Frappuccinos, blue and green milk, frozen Butterbeer and POG juice. And Sprite™.

8 Likes

Great info, thanks! PFAS is a big deal in MI, and there are 2 sites within a couple of blocks of the houses where I grew up (same neighborhood, 2 former GM plants), which was also less than a quarter mile from a dioxin site, where 3 rivers converge ~ 25 miles from the main Dow Chemical facility.

1 Like

We carried two bottles, and found plenty of bottle fillers and bubblers (yes. I said it. Or you can use “drinking fountains”) around the park. Of course, it’s the tap water, but we didn’t find it offensive at all.

One of the filler issues is that they’re often in queues and the lines move fast enough that we couldn’t fill our bottle before having to move on. TP had a series of articles recently about where those bottle fillers are located.

We always filled up both bottles in the room before leaving. The other thing I liked was that we brought bottles with straws. I felt less like an outlaw when I snuck a drink in line if I could just pull my mask up a little and drink from the straw.

1 Like

They ae definitely bubblers…

1 Like

They also seemed to mostly use CR’s own standards, not the EPAs. I don’t know what that means or how they established them. The main stumbling block to having perfectly pure water (or perfect anything) is generally money. I looked it up and this is what the EPA said about arsenic, when they tightened up the rules from 50 parts per billion (ppb) to 10 ppb:

$6.1 million for the value of a statistical life (VSL) is appropriate. (This was 10 years ago, BTW). What they’re saying is that to save one life by requiring arsenic levels to be only 10 parts per billion (ppb), it will cost $6 million dollars.

I am not a plaintiff’s attorney, but that sounds pretty reasonable to me. Cities can only do so much- lots of things have to be paid for, not just water.

Since CR didn’t disclose what the actual risk is to us, I guess I’m not going to worry about it. I figure the cities are doing the best they reasonably can. :woman_shrugging:

@emcglone I live in Milwaukee so I’m familiar with bubblers! Though personally I use drinking fountains. lol I’ll remember the straw tip - that’s a good one.

I shouldn’t be surprised that you already made the exact comment I planned to make :rofl:

2 Likes

How a water tastes really plays very little in how pure it is from these particular chemicals.

I can smell and taste chlorine in our water. I will admit to having a superb sense of smell. I smelled a gas leak when hubby couldn’t and it was verified by the gas company and plumber and it was a small one. But point is if I can taste and smell it…its definitely there and a chemical. I cannot stand the water that comes out of my fridge. Which means I don’t like the ice when it melts unfortunately so I only put it in my margaritas in the shaker. I only drink the water from my reverse osmosis under the sink tap which means it’s never cold. But it tastes so much better. I’m trying to remember if I don’t like the water in Disney. I don’t think I do but I’ll drink slightly poisoned water over dehydrating myself any day.

1 Like

and the plastic bottles are an ecological nightmare

Did you see the last John Oliver. We’re eating a credit card a week in plastic from our water supply and fish etc.

1 Like

I buy it on vacation. Convenience I suppose.
Also, when I try to fill up my daughter’s glass of water in the bathroom sink upstairs she looks at me like, you seriously expect me to drink that!!

1 Like

Did you just say you’re from Massachusetts without saying you’re from Massachusetts?

My best friend and I both refer to the water at Disney as swamp water, because that’s what it tastes and smells like, and only swamp water in the shower could foul up my hair in such an egregious manner.

I bought a water bottle (Life Straw) before my recent trip that helped SO much - the rec actually came from another Liner though I can’t for the life of me remember where to find the thread, so whoever you are, I bow to your wisdom!

1 Like

I got a brita bottle for my Disney trips.

1 Like

This seems like an oddly specific use of ice. :wink:
But I totally get what you’re saying. My sense of taste & smell is pretty acute, too. I don’t like water and seldom drink it unless it’s coffee- I grew up with extremely sulphurous water and just learned to drink other things.

We tested our water once, 7 years ago when we moved in. We have a sealed well that goes down about 30-40 ft, the water temp. is 40 degrees all year round and it tastes okay to me. I guess I’m trusting the mountain to filter out anything bad. So far so good.

Crikey! I ought to bottle my water. At least I can say it comes straight out of the Rocky Mountains. :flushed:

3 Likes

Ha ha ha. It doesn’t melt in the drink shaker!
We had a water leak in our house and had to move out for 2.5 months while they fixed it and they broke my fridge in that now the water and ice won’t come out of it. So I’ve been buying bagged ice and that ice I like so whatever source of water they use is better than ours. A woman has to have her margaritas in a pandemic!

3 Likes

Indeed! As I was typing that, I realized that I only ever use ice when I break out the Maker’s Mark.

2 Likes

I LOVED the tap water when I lived in NYC. It was never chlorine-y at all. I don’t like ice, so I just kept a pitcher in the fridge.

2 Likes

I was in NYC early last year and also thought the water tasted fine. I just don’t like water, not even mine!

1 Like

I didn’t even know that anyone in Massachusetts said bubbler! I grew up in Sheboygan - north of Milwaukee. Bubbler is the brand-name of Kohler’s drinking fountains.

1 Like