Do leading reservations still work?

Any updates on your FP?

I will be cancelling at the beginning of July and I will update you then :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I cancelled the reservation yesterday. I have received warning messages for my offsite days but nothing regarding the days I am still onsite. I have dropped and re added the FPS for the days I received warnings, with the exception of one day. I want to see if they indeed cancel that day of FPs.

5 Likes

Thank you for the update!

1 Like

Please consider paying for the benefits received. Calling this a ‘strategy’ or a ‘hack’ might make us feel better, but not paying for a product we consume is generally called theft, and in this case it is theft from fellow WDW customers who abide by 30 day/60 day policies and choose to pay or not pay for the perks included in an on-site stay. WDW isn’t the one being scammed, it’s all of us that fork out major dollars to stay onsite and still log in on day 60 to no FoP and SDD.

See something, say something. I’m perplexed by all the indignation on TP about rope drop etiquette, pushing and shoving, poor park behavior, but yet silence (so as ‘not to judge’) on this topic. This is not a hack, it is stealing, and from others on this forum. I don’t understand the silence.

We can debate the fairness of throw away rooms, ie. why does somebody have xtra dollars to pay for a room they won’t sleep in, but that’s like asking about the fairness of someone paying club level and paying for 3 xtra FPS. They paid for the benefit they received.

In this case, people are not paying, and in addition to the obvious impact of less fast passes available to others, it causes WDW to spend valuable $$$ on a fix to capture offenders which almost always unintentionally sweeps up rule abiders and makes them spend hours on phone with CM’s proving they aren’t the target of the clamp down.

I have loved this forum and advice given but feel condoning a behavior that would regularly result in a misdemeanor conviction in the real world is a hard line for me.

Would love for @len to weigh in.

3 Likes

I as well appreciate the update!

The wonderful thing about this forum is that you have the ability to follow any thread you want. You can also mute any thread that you do not want to see.

3 Likes

First of all, I do appreciate your feelings about the subject. FWIW, I don’t particularly like it either, but I’ve come to realise that it really has little impact when there are 37,000 rooms onsite; even 100 people doing this are not affecting the availability of FPs as much as the sheer number of visitors every day.

However my reply is more to why I choose to ignore the debates over the rights and wrongs. I like these forums because they are free from judgement. It’s just people trying to be helpful to others.

There is a very big, well known forum site which does not have that freedom. Things are moderated to the extent that no discussion is permitted on anything that contravenes Disney’s T&Cs. All that achieves is interesting discussions cut short, a sense of hypocrisy when something is allowed simply because it may be against the spirit of the rules but not actually stated, plus a very judgemental attitude on many threads. I don’t intend to join that forum because of that, albeit they have some very knowledgeable moderators and posters, some of whom I know from elsewhere and are extremely nice, friendly people.

I would hate for this forum to become like that. Sometimes I choose to mute a certain thread, to avoid the discussion. For me that’s better than mulling over arguments on a fan site, to the point of distracting from real life.

19 Likes

I wish I could like your post 100 times. I too don’t use these strategies but that is my choice. Knowledge is power…

3 Likes

I’m not really sure why your response was directed at me. I simply asked if someone on the thread was impacted by the changes. I like to follow this stuff to be aware, just like I follow SDFP even though I don’t really use it since my kids are so young. As others have said, if you don’t agree with the thread then keep scrolling.

I have had to do this, too.
I wish you could block posters. (In 12 years on that other site I’ve only blocked 5-6, but it helped my brain immensely.)

I saw something new in settings recently. I will try to look.

1 Like

Oh you’re right, I see it! When did that appear?

I wonder if it hides the posts or just notifications?

I think for muted it’s just notifications, and for ignored you don’t see anything.

1 Like

Yes, I noticed it when I was looking to see if I could change the response at the end of a thread. I think the last update . I had looked
about two months ago when someone asked about being able to block and it was not there.

2 Likes

Thanks all. Sorry to direct at any one person! I agree that the forum should allow exchange and voices not be muted, whether others or my own. I was a wee harsh b.c I was very out of sorts. Still wish this tactic would be discouraged where possible, but understand how if can be all consuming to make everything perfect re: WDW vacay,

4 Likes

As an IT person, I can assure you all that the Disney system knows when the FPs were made.

1 Like

I won’t comment on the like or dislike of the technique practice either. I do find it interesting how some people know things and state them, that they can’t possibly know. At 50,000,000 WDW visitors per year (2014 attendance at the four parks), who says that there is no impact on 37,000 onsite rooms for avg 135,000 daily guests? Who says only 100 people are using the technique. More importantly, how do we know these things to use them as points in a discussion?

At 50,000,000 visitors even 1/2 of a percent of visitors would be 250,000. Are 0.5% of WDW visitors (avid fans, tour groups, travel agents, ect) avid enough to find these forums and techniques? Probably. Instead of 100 … lets be honest and assume a realistic 250,000 or even 100,000 (0.025%). Would 100,000 people using the technique, reserving a chunk of 37,000 available onsite rooms, cause headaches for other guests trying to plan, probably. But I don’t work for Disney so I can’t know. But from coloradoresident’s statement … sure sounds like it. And that is a valid discussion point.

I agree the discussion is a healthy discussion, but it should be an honest discussion.

3 Likes

You’re right, I don’t work for Disney either.

But let’s look at those figures again.

37,000 rooms onsite, an average of 3 people per room (allowing for couples plus the larger DVC villas) gives approximately 111,000 people each day who have 60 day booking privileges.

However many of those cancel later, having booked their FPs does not affect the ability to book at 60 days. Of course they will affect other people, those staying offsite.

But IIRC, @coloradoresident’s point was about people not being able to book the FPs they want at 60 days. There is always a finite number of people who can book at 60 days. That number is not affected by a leading reservation.

But let me clarify. Leading reservations do affect off-site guests. And as I have said before, I don’t like the practice. I’ve just managed to put it into perspective for me to be able to come to terms with it and realise that what other people do tends not to directly affect me. I am not trying to close down a discussion, nor am I trying to turn it into a dishonest discussion.

I have no desire at all to discuss the topic again, beyond giving my own reasoning as to why I don’t let what other people do bother me, Which is why after a while, I tend to mute these conversations.

1 Like