Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort

This is not really a DVC question, but I did not know what other category to choose. I am interested in learning more about Disney’s Hilton Head Island Resort. Can anyone that has been before tell me some pros/cons to it. I am just looking for a relaxing beach-ish vacation for next month. Since it will be cold we will probably be spending most of the time indoors so I want a nice resort experience. The 2 bedroom villas are the only ones available for the rest of the year (I am not a DVC member). Is it worth spending the money on this resort? I know it is not very Disney-esque, but maybe that is okay? Are there a few things to do around there activity wise? Thank you for any help you can provide!

2 Likes

Following this as I’m curious what people say…I just booked three nights at Vero Beach (also not a DVC Member) and if I enjoy it I may be wanting to try Hilton Head some other time.

How are you booking? Are you booking through Disney or renting points?

This is one of my favorite DVC resources. There is a link to a podcast episode on this page too

https://mydvcpoints.com/resorts/hilton-head/

1 Like

I do not know anything about renting points so I guess through Disney, or actually through Undercover Tourist.

I have been to Hilton Head Island many times and it is an incredible vacation destination! I have never stayed at the Disney Vacation Club, however.

There is lots to do on HHI:

• Lots of amazing restaurants, especially seafood, including Hudson’s, Skull Creek Boathouse, One Hot Mama’s, The Crazy Crab, etc.
  • Harbour Town Lighthouse and shopping area
  • Dolphin boat tours from Shelter Cove
  • The Beach! Great beaches, soft sand, mild to moderate surf, wildlife, etc.
  • Golf, if that’s your thing (it’s not mine)

The problem with Disney’s location is it is not directly on the beach on the ocean side. You have to take a shuttle to the Beach House. [Edit: see additional post below where I found this info]

My parents are owners at one of the Marriott vacation club properties (there are at least 3 that I know of on the island and I’ve stayed at all of them - all fantastic). I’ve also heard good things about the Westin. There are lots of VRBO / AirBnB type properties as well.

So personally, since you are not a DVC owner and would be renting anyway, I would recommend staying at a non-Disney property that is actually on the beach.

3 Likes

From the link @PrincipalTinker shared, you can see there is a 5 minute drive to their “Beach House” from the resort.

According to Disney’s website, it is serviced by shuttle:

https://hiltonhead.disney.go.com/recreation/disney-beach-house/

The Beach House is accessible by regular shuttle service or a 1.25-mile bike path.

1 Like

I wonder if there would be alligators on the bike path.
I think about alligators a lot. Like, every day.

1 Like

There are alligators on the island, and I recommend traveling in groups and staying away from brush or the edge of standing water. They mostly leave humans alone, but good to be aware and cautious.

2 Likes

Very cool site! I’ve never seen this one before.

1 Like

Did ya’ll see the video of the guy saving his dog from an alligator never dropping the cigar from his mouth as he pried open the alligators jaws twice…once from the dog and then from his hand?

2 Likes

My list of move-to states keeps getting smaller.
I just realized how far inland gators live in SC.

2 Likes

I am a scaredy cat, but I’m not afraid of gators when I’m there because I’m aware of the dangers and can avoid them.

Here in Arizona, my big fear is scorpions. Thankfully we don’t get them on my property (knock on wood) but my in-laws get them occasionally and have to hunt them with a black light every month or so.

2 Likes

My brother used to get them in his house all the time when they lived in Fountain Hills. I remember having centipedes in the house growing up. Arizona is full of scary critters. Best thing about Western Washington is the bugs are very small and there’s not that many of them. Plus they’re not poisonous!

2 Likes

That sounds like my kind of place to live!

1 Like

We went to Hilton Head three years ago. The resort itself is very nice, the staff is extremely friendly and helpful (most cast members are excellent, the staff at HH went above and beyond). It feels very secluded, as it seems to be tucked away off the main road (it’s not really). The pool is great, but I don’t expect it will be a lot of fun in February. The villas themselves are pretty nice, with full amenities. My only complaint with the rooms are that the walls are thin, we could hear the neighbors next to us, and the folks above us. As far as activities, there is a pier that goes out over the water, good for walks and sightseeing. They have nature walks you can go on. There is shuffle board and corn hole for games. There is mini-golf off property but close by, as well as grocery stores. There are bikes for rent at the resort. They are useful for getting around the resort, but also to the beach. The beach is over a mile away (which is why the bikes are useful) but there is a paved path that goes from the resort to the Disney Beach House on the ocean.

Overall it’s a nice, quaint resort, with all the Disney touches you would expect. I don’t know what protocols they have in place for COVID, or if there are any restrictions on amenities, but I can say that under normal circumstances, it’s nice, relaxing getaway.

2 Likes

This is off topic to the thread, but I’m loving this site you have uncovered! It’s sponsored by my favorite resale site and I was glancing at the Boardwalk wiki and found this:

Free Moonlight Magic Mickey Bars to Break Even: 1, 265

:rofl::rofl::rofl: I’m dying.

4 Likes

Have you listened to his podcasts?

It is also my new favorite DVC point app. You can filter your searches and there is a “stretch and splurge” feature. I like when you search to see how many points a stay will be it also generally tells you how much a rental or cash stay will be (although the BWV cash rooms never work). It does not tell you if the rooms are available but it is a great planning tool. It also adds the dates to your calendar.

I found this from listening to the Welcome Home Podcast. This has been my escape.

1 Like

I have not seen the podcasts or the app! With no commute my podcast time is limited to when I am in the shower so I am woefully behind on podcasts!

1 Like

New episode about Hilton Head

1 Like