Disneyland Update - Openings, Closings, and Glimmers of Hope

Or Death Valley is don’t go here in summer. Death Caldera might be a Yosemite reference?

1 Like

:laughing::laughing:

See! Yet another example of things I thought everyone knew! Yes, sig alert is the aller they send to the electronic freeway signs that let us know traffic is worse that usual, usually due to rubber-neckers.

1 Like

As if there are degrees of hell…

I will never live down when we decided it was time to leave Santa Monica Pier and I didn’t want to wrestle with the nonsense of the lines at the beach house, so I encouraged my family just to jump in the car, the rental was “only 40 miles.” HOURS LATER…

3 Likes

I remember my first time in Naples, we were staying at a gorgeous resort to visit my SIL’s family down from Chicago for spring break. Naples and Fort Lauderdale are connected by a patch of roadway called, aptly, Alligator Alley.

On a cold day, as you’re driving by you’ll see tens of them sitting on the banks of the Everglades, warming themselves in the sun. Which is fine. It’s expected there. What was not expected were the two at the resort I saw on the bank of the canal that ran next to the hotel. Smaller, but real none the less. No fences, no people screaming in terror. Just…a sign that said “Watch out for Alligators, give them room” or some crap. I have a pic somewhere.

2 Likes

Ah…yeah. Sorry about that! :laughing::laughing:

I like your choice of NC. I know a few families that live out there and they can’t imagine going anywhere else.

I’m probably the only one who cares, but there is the Long Valley Caldera on the east side of the Sieras which is very active. So that’s the Death Caldera. Death Valley is the Avoid in Summer. Which is true, but don’t avoid it altogether because it’s so cool! Just go in January.

4 Likes

Did I type NC? I meant SC. Hopefully. Looking at the northwest “corner” from Seneca to Gaffney down to Williamston. Triangle shaped zone. We shall see! :heart:

1 Like

I’m not arguing but I’m just saying that if there was an outbreak connected to WDW or any amusement park, the media would be on it like the Biogen Conference, Sturgis rally in SD, wedding in Maine, choir in WA, etc. We know a lot more about mode of virus transmission now than we did a year ago.

Perhaps, maybe, our statistics in CA would look a lot worse if our amusement parks opened. We don’t know. But if they were open, there would be more space to spread people out. A lot of that space is outdoors and amusement parks, unlike the beach and public areas, can regulate attendance. Nowadays, places that are open, including stores, parks, and other public places are more crowded than typical because people have nowhere else to go! All I know is that a lot of people are suffering financially, emotionally, and mentally because of the stay at home mandate in CA. It is easy to say to keep everything close to minimize the spread for those of us, including me, who can work at home. DH and DD work in the office everyday. All of the medical staff and other essential workers who work on site. Thank you to all of you who fall in those categories! Then there are those who don’t have work because the pandemic has eliminated their jobs. Many of those people tend to live paycheck to paycheck.

Mask compliance in the SF Bay Area is fairly good. SoCal, which I have been to a few times since the pandemic and where DD lives and DS goes to college, is not so good. Personally, I feel that my risk at being at WDW is similar to my risk at home.

We are working to vaccinate people but it is unlikely that we will be able to eliminate the virus in the near future. What precautions can we take so that most people can live their lives?

4 Likes

Or Thanksgiving. It was empty and 40 degrees!

1 Like

https://www.history.com/topics/westward-expansion/donner-party

“Did you know? Donner Pass, in the Sierra Nevada of northern California, is named for the Donner party. The pass now represents the most important transmontane route (rail and highway) connecting San Francisco with Reno. It lies within Tahoe National Forest, and Donner Memorial State Park is nearby.”

My kid had to talk about it during a school play…ew.

Is just the huge dairy, cattle farms it’s actually a much broader are, they narrowed it down for the other stereotypes I guess.

Death Valley, the national park.

1 Like

You probably typed SC and I misremembered. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for your family finding work down there!

We have Sig Alert in the SF Bay and in Sacramento. I have it on my phone. But I rarely use it now because I’m at home most of the time during commute hours. DH, who drives 35 miles to work everyday, says traffic is about 90% of normal and he uses Sig Alert everyday. Even though most public schools are not open and many people work from home, people are not taking public transit!

1 Like

LA/So Cal traffic and driving is something else! We use to joke that down there, we are either stuck in traffic or driving 90 mph!

I was in So Cal over President’s Day weekend. I was driving 80 mph, the flow of traffic, and there were cars zooming by at 90+ mph! They are scary and I need to be assertive and focused when driving down there.

When we drive home for SoCal, as soon as we come down the Altamont Pass (where the windmills are), we slow down to between 70 & 75. Otherwise, the cops are out in full force!

I went to the office this morning and traffic was very free flowing in all 5 lanes but the flow of traffic was 60-70 mph! And why are you driving 65 mph in the number 1 lane? Opps! :grimacing: I haven’t recovered from my SoCal driving mentality yet…

2 Likes

I hate driving in LA / So Cal! I think I’ll use Uber/Lyft from now on.

3 Likes

I think Randall1028’s AC has played with your post!

1 Like

Ha ha! Fixed it. :wink:

1 Like

It is quite all or nothing. LA is pretty constant with traffic, but OC and San Diego are absolutely you are stop and go for 20 minutes then 80mph+ for 5-10 minutes, then back to stop and go continuing that pattern for an hour to two hours until you get “home”. Starting at 3pm-ish to 6:30 or 7pm. My husband never saw anything like it. He’s in awe every time it happens. Everone, as a unit, does 90+ or 5mph. It’s like it’s own living, breathing unit of one.

The only place worse, imo, was South FL where you have people going 90+ in the same lane as the older people going 30. Both ends of the spectrum, on the same freeway/tollway…is insanity, but also a constant.

3 Likes

That is why I guessed it for “death caldera” but after looking closer it is probably just north of that.

I am more familiar with the several dairies throughout that area. There may be a couple of cattle farms in there too, but I would say the dairy farms are far more common.

1 Like

I thought so too. There are cattle farms in Hemet that I thought would be more “death camp”. They were very skittish when I tried to say hi and pet a couple of them. Now I know why.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Stay safe!

1 Like