Disneyland Update - Openings, Closings, and Glimmers of Hope

I love this!!

1 Like

4th generation. My great grandmother come over with her parents when she was a year old to pick oranges in Riverside/Orange County.

I moved (escaped) to Vegas when I was 24.

2 Likes

We need to escape CA, too.

1 Like

It was insane down in SoCal when I left. Prices were horrible, people were everywhere and there was a weird girl to guy ratio. I do laugh when I see how self centered I was. My husband, born and raised in Chicago, still laughs at me when I call Midwest states “that stuff in the middle somewhere”.

It brought to mind something I saw a few years ago that still makes me laugh to this day.

4 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

He still hates it when I put the word “the” in front of freeway names.

I was driving down the 15. Drives him nuts!! I’m supposed to say I was driving down I15…or something. Mid-westerners…pfft :laughing::laughing:

5 Likes

I see a Mickey waffle booth!! :drooling_face:

3 Likes

I am swiping this to share with all my friends. Fricken hilarious!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

I post these mostly in jest of myself obviously. There was one I was trying to find where it had the middle was just “corn” and Canada came all the way down by Missouri. It was my favorite because, due to my own bubble, it was so true as to how I saw the rest of the country at the time.

4 Likes

You have a lot more faith in the contact tracing than I do. Especially when numbers are really high and it’s across state lines (visitors)…there’s just not enough manpower to contact trace effectively.

It’s one thing when it’s in a community to track it down to a restaurant or gym or event, but when it’s people coming from all over and likely returning home before they test positive? And the state of FL is so committed to being “open” that I doubt they’re putting a ton of effort into linking/labeling cases as an outbreak.

Disney seems to be enforcing the basic precautions, and that’s a good thing, I just don’t take much comfort in the lack of an outbreak as evidence that theme parks are safe. Probably safer than any place that isn’t enforcing (mask compliance in my area has been pretty good, but DH had to take MDS to mall for shoes and in one large store there were many people completely mask-free - not just down around their chins, but nowhere in sight!).

1 Like

I am in the “middle” and it is just grapes, not corn :wink:

2 Likes

Never mind. I thought you were referring to the middle of CA! Haven’t had coffee yet. I should never operate a device without coffee!

Sorry, for that I meant the map of the US! CA, the second one was much more detailed than how I pictured it in my head. But I had Grapes being from Weed to Otters.:rofl::rofl:

And yet I still take offense when someone dares includes OC in LA. (Mostly the “new” name of the Angels.) Like I said, I had pretty thick SoCal goggles on.

4 Likes

I am a Cali girl born and raised. I was born in So CA, but moved to SF bat area as a baby. SF and east bay is where I grew up until I was 8 or 9. Spent the next several years bouncing all over central and northern CA. I spent a year in AZ and now I am back in the middle where people “just drive through.” Despite being born in LA, I refuse to go to So CA except for Disney. I know how to drive in SF traffic, not LA traffic!

4 Likes

And driving over the Bay Bridge would give me an absolute panic attack!
I grew up in Bros/Weird Spiky Trees and I still won’t do LA traffic. As soon as Spiky Trees had comparable traffic, I was outta there!

Weird that Disney isn’t on there.

2 Likes

I was born in Santa Crus, lived there only until about 8, then moved to Arizona. Went back briefly and was a nanny in San Fran. But when I drive down from Washington … I still get this feeling of homecoming. (I also get that in AZ.) I think it’s the trees. This is sacrilege to Washingtonians, but the trees here make me claustrophobic. I love when I get down out of the trees in CA and can see forever but with mountains somewhere on the horizon.

5 Likes

Me too.

Yup - like elsewhere.

I am getting pretty good at typing and deleting. But - Florida has been gloriously open during most of this whole thing and it’s not like real estate is pennies on the dollar because most of the population has died off. In fact, my friends in Florida are more or less living their best lives.

I love your maps. I’m trying to move out of Loud and Obnoxious to Religious Nutballs. I wish I could move to Old People, except I’d rename that to Old People and Alligators. And I’m afraid of Alligators (I like Old People).

Can someone explain “cow death camp,” “death caldera,” and “sigalert”?

3 Likes

This is just a guess, but the “cow death camp” is probably due to the large amount of dairy farms in that area. “Death caldera” Donner Pass??? Sigalert, no flipping idea!

1 Like

Translation: LA traffic :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Well Death Caldera would be Death Valley, I believe.

Cow death camp … if you drive down I-5 you pass cattle yards that are just awful - smelly and I always just feel for the cows. I thought they were getting ready to be meat, not dairy, but I could be wrong.

Sigalert :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes