Disneyland Reopening Annoucment

Jessica commented its the first time not seeing the panhandlers at the corner.

The shops at The Grand Legacy with Jimboy’s gone. Ro took me there and it was like you turning us on to Earl of Sandwich, we went every trip!! The parking lot of the Tropicana Inn. Totally eerie feeling. Harbor Blvd is actually quiet. Never ever would I have thought McD’s would be fenced up.

3 Likes

Seeing all these things so made it worth the trip! the Bowers Museum is still offering the Disney Archives tour!! And Dole whip is available there :smile:

9 Likes

Where’d you get the chips and salsa? :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I actually worry about the regular panhandlers…like the man with his little boy who has been there for years. I hope they are okay.

I have eaten quite a few Jimboy’s as well, so sad! It just all looks so wrong!

Looks like Tortilla Jo’s. They used to make the guac tableside, but I wonder if they are doing that now.

2 Likes

That’s what I was thinking, Tortilla Joe’s

2 Likes

That’s what I assumed given it’s a typical Mexican restaurant dish. I’m being tempted to keep my trip to CA for December just for DD and Buena Vista street but not sure I can justify the cost …

Edit: Yep it’s Tortilla Jo’s. You can see on the coaster. :joy:

2 Likes

Tortilla Jo’s in DTD. They used to make the guacamole table side but they just bring it made already now. Delicious!! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

That place is awesome… making the guac custom by your table was amazing too.

1 Like

Love your pics of the Chadwick Bozeman tribute mural!

2 Likes

Thank You!! Something about being right there. I got all emotional and cried like a baby

5 Likes
4 Likes

That is great news! I hope they get more creative. Open up Main Street and they can recall even more employees!

I would love for them to bring some snack “shacks/trucks” maybe to the plaza between the 2 parks with in-park favorites such as Dole Whips and Floats, turkey legs, churros, Mickey waffles, blue milk … Mickey ice cream bars. More money, more jobs.

6 Likes

I’m thinking of heading down for a day once Buena Vista Street is open! Would absolutely go again if they opened Main Street!

3 Likes

Some good updates in this MiceChat article, as usual.

This part stood out to me:

Keep in mind that in Orange County, zoos, museums, shopping malls, restaurants, offices, and hotels have ALL reopened. It’s mostly just the theme parks, concert halls, major sports venues, and convention centers that remain closed.

Unless something changes with the governor’s plans, Disneyland’s 7-month closure could more than double— a nightmare situation for out-of-work or furloughed employees and businesses in the Orange County area which rely on Disneyland for their survival. Just among the MiceChat hotel and restaurant partners, the feeling is that if Disneyland doesn’t reopen by the end of the year, many of the local hotels, shops, restaurants and services will be forced out of business.

The Hotel Association of Los Angeles anticipates that many of the area hotels won’t survive. “Industry data shows 1 in 4 properties are already struggling to pay mortgages, risking foreclosure.”

And, because Anaheim relies almost as heavily on convention business as it does on Disneyland, the impact is doubly hard. At least a dozen hotels either opened just before or during the pandemic or recently completed major remodeling. All of those properties will have large loans to pay, but with few guests visiting a mostly closed Disneyland and with conventions off the table for many months left to come, there may be no way out for some of your favorite hotel destinations.

Within 24 hours of the state’s theme park guidance on Tuesday, many of the area hotels laid off most or all of their workers who were still on furlough. This week will be a turning point for many businesses in the area. Some may try to close and reopen at a later date, but the fear is they won’t have the funds to pay their mortgages/rent and loans and may never be able to reopen. It looks as though Anaheim as we know it, barring some sort of miracle, is about to become a ghost town.

So, next time you think to yourself “Disney has deep pockets, they’ll survive,” consider the thousands of business in the area which rely on Disneyland that don’t have those deep pockets. The situation is dire and we are on the precipice of a major economic disaster for the Anaheim area and beyond, there’s just no other way to put it.

3 Likes

Another part of the article regarding APs. Tokyo Disneyland recently cancelled their AP program and offered refunds:

Tokyo Disneyland is very similar to our own park in Anaheim in annual attendance and in a heavy reliance on local passholders. Unfortunately, limited park capacity and a huge passholder base means that Tokyo Disneyland was unable to meet anything close to its obligation for granting access to passholders. The cancelation of passes will allow fans to buy dated day tickets like everyone else. When park capacity returns, a new pass program likely will as well.

Of course, all of that has us really thinking about what would happen here in Anaheim. There are even more local Annual Passholders at Disneyland than there are in Tokyo. How can Disney possibly accommodate all of them without constant complaints about not being able to get a park reservation?

For nearly a decade, the AP program here at Disneyland has grown dramatically. And with it, the park experience has been impacted as well. Gone are the off-seasons, just about any day can reach packed conditions. But Disney has become addicted to the monthly revenue from payments. And as much as they have tried to reign the program in with price increases, that just encourages passholders to visit more often to justify the expense. Making the situation worse and not better.

And it’s for that reason we think Disneyland might consider following Tokyo’s lead and suspending passes for a year or so to allow them to focus on controlling park capacity and giving them time to retool annual pass options, pricing, and availability once conditions return to normal in a year or so.

They had a poll and most readers agreed Disneyland should pause their AP program during the pandemic. I tend to agree - there’s no way they can fairly allocate park reservations among AP holders and still have them get their money’s worth.

2 Likes

DLR has been “landlocked” by exorbitant prices for years and I can’t help but wonder if this will present some sort of fire sale surrounding the resort. A chance for DLR to scoop up the land for a discounted price so they could expand.

7 Likes

oooo that’s honestly intriguing if it includes a new park and not just more hotels…

1 Like