Disneyland Reopening Annoucment

Gov. Newsom has announced that Disneyland can reopen when Orange County reaches the “Minimal” threat / Yellow tier. It is currently “Red” - two phases away.

This means:

Only 25% park capacity & Reservations Required

I found this Threat Color Map Tracker

2 Likes

So…

They aren’t opening anytime soon.

3 Likes

:frowning_face: :frowning:

2 Likes

Well that’s gonna be a minute.

:frowning:

3 Likes

I think this means it won’t open until a vaccine is available.

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

3 Likes

Sad, but can’t say that I am surprised. Guess we west coasters will continue to go to Florida for now. Just today met up with 3 DLR/west coast based Liners in Animal Kingdom and yesterday with @Julianne_fki who also lives in WA with me. Sigh.

9 Likes

This is the irony. Maybe they’ll have less cases originating in CA but people will find a way to get out and potentially expose themselves to perhaps even greater danger. This is why restrictions need to be reasonable.

4 Likes

Exactly. So unreasonable.

3 Likes

So say they reach the yellow phase. What happens if they did back into orange? They close back down? This is basically saying you can’t open until there’s a vaccine without actually saying that. I wonder if lawsuits will follow.

2 Likes

I’m sure they will. Disney will survive financially just fine thanks to its other segments and parks. But think about the impact on something like Knott’s, Legoland, Universal, and Six Flags. Not to mention all the little amusement parks that can technically open in the orange phase, but only with up to 500 guests. This is the destruction of the industry.

3 Likes

A reporter asked this very question. The reply was, “If a county slides back a tier the state could request that they close up again.”

This was just a response to the question and not listed in the “official” policy, but it leaves the door open for the state to do it.

1 Like

Destruction of the industry is right. I cannot imagine most will survive this (besides Disneyland and Universal).

3 Likes

Disneyland Response

3 Likes

Mayor of Anaheim responds, who files a lawsuit first?

https://sir.wdwnt.com/wdwnt.com/2020/10/anaheim-mayor-harry-sidhu-theme-park-reopening-statement-4950551.jpeg

2 Likes

Overall I would say I have been in the cautious camp and have appreciated our governor’s approach, but as of late, he has been too cautious for even me. I personally only have an issue with the yellow tier. I think the orange tier would have been a much more balanced approach. We are in this for the long haul and need to respond accordingly, which means taking into consideration safety first, while still considering mental health and economic recovery.

The good news for me is my DLR and SFMM APs will continue to be extended and I will continue to save money. The bad news is that I will possibly not have a park to use them at when this is all said and done.

5 Likes

Six Flag Magic Mountain may have a shot. Up until recently it was never a year-round park and they were able to stay afloat. I think they might be okay, as long as they are able to open by spring 2021, if not, then I agree, they may not make it.

2 Likes

Totally agree. I get the cautious approach - the state is in very good shape compared to many others, thanks to that caution. But again, the restrictions have to be reasonable, and opening in Orange seems reasonable to me and most interested parties.

2 Likes

Agree.

Newsome’s team of spies must not have liked what they saw at WDW Florida. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Erin Guerrero, executive director of the California Attractions and Parks Association, issued the following statement after the plan was unveiled.

To say today’s announcement on theme parks is disappointing would be a grave understatement. The Governor has not used science or data to inform his decision. Theme parks have opened and operated safely around the world for months. Data and science prove that theme parks can operate responsibly anywhere – there is no rational reason to believe they can’t do so in California. No one cares more about park employee and guest safety than the parks themselves. “Let me be unequivocal– the guidance issued by the Newsom Administration will keep theme parks shuttered for the foreseeable future. By forcing amusement parks to stay closed until their home county reaches Tier 4, the Governor has issued a “Keep Theme Parks Closed Indefinitely” Plan which will devastate California’s major theme park industry.

4 Likes