Disneyland Reopening Annoucment

Unfortunately that is the vast majority of our homeless population and unfortunately there are no easy answers for it.

1 Like

If more places were open, people would have more places to go. People are sheltering in place weary. Many of us are not staying at home.

I was in San Diego and Orange County last month. LOL, there were lots of people at touristy spots! Downtown Disney did the best with regards to implementing COVID protocols.

5 Likes

I tend to have the same affliction.

I appreciate that you were able to see the woman and her condition with such humanity, despite the scary situation.

4 Likes

I was homeless for a short time. Spent it either sleeping in my 78 Beetle in the parking lot of the bar I waitressed or in an empty trailer I was renovating for my parents to rent out. It was a good while before I found a “home” and even longer after that before I felt comfortable standing on my own two feet. To this day, every time that it rains…I run around the house to make sure it’s locked up and then I go and stare out the window almost giddy at how happy I am to have a roof over my head and my loved ones around me.

7 Likes

MiceChat has a nice summary of the day’s news. I was especially bummed by this statement from Dr. Chau of the OC Health Care Agency:

Dr. Clayton Chau, Director of Orange County Health Care Agency, said – “Personally, I think that we can look forward to a yellow tier by next summer, hopefully. Hopefully.” If that turns out to be the case, it will be quite some time before we’ll be visiting the Happiest Place on Earth.

This is an interesting comparison - it’s the case curve for CA vs. FL (adjusted for population). CA fared much better in the summer. WDW opened on July 11th, right when FL hit their peak. Cases plummeted. Someone might conclude from this that WDW opening actually caused cases to decrease. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: But it certainly didn’t cause a spike in cases. The two states were comparable a few weeks ago until Florida started going crazy in the other direction and opening everything up.

4 Likes

Well, there are many different ways to interpret data!

Thank you for the graph. It shows that CA has lots of wiggle room. I don’t mean open up crazily but open up responsibly. We cannot keep so much closed until next summer. The economics, people’s emotional and mental health…

4 Likes

This is the key! That graph shows that CA has done its job in flattening the curve. Now to slowly start opening up, as you said, in a responsible manner.

4 Likes

YIKES!!! That is a scary thought!

1 Like

@Jeff_AZ, I know this was said in jest, but This instantly brought me back to my stats class! Correlation does not mean causation. I specifically remember the example they used to demonstrate this. As ice cream sales increase, so do incidents of drowning.

3 Likes

Yes, just in case it wasn’t clear to casual readers, that was a joke! :joy:

Here’s my favorite example of correlation vs causation:

5 Likes

This is an excellent point that I never even thought of. Not having many things open does force large crowds in a small places because people are completely over staying home all the time.

Yes, what @stlouie said! :laughing:

2 Likes

I am way past expecting NY or CA to get anything right. It’s like a contest between the two who can frustrate me more. :face_vomiting:

3 Likes

I thought this was interesting. Santa Clara County is allowed to open Levi Stadium at reduced capacity to SF 49ers’ fans or other events. But the County won’t allow the stadium to open because it considers such events COVID super spreader opportunities.

Where is the data for these super spreader opportunities if the COVID protocols are implemented?

I was reading CA’s concerns about theme parks reopening. One of them was too much touch surfaces. Uhm… have these decision makers been to the grocery stores lately? People touch everything! Plus, many stores don’t sanitize their carts anymore.

2 Likes

Fomites are no longer really considered a significant method of transmission. But as a precaution, you just provide easy access to hand sanitizer. This should not be a reason to prevent opening up.

4 Likes

It must depend on the area, because here (Central CA) all the stores I go to are still doing a great job disinfecting the carts.

Theme Park Execs Blast California’s Reopening Rules, Consider Legal Action

Presidents of Disneyland, Universal Studios Hollywood, Legoland California Resort and regional vice presiden Knott’s Berry Farm, California’s Great America, and Gilroy Gardens along with California Attractions and Parks Association. Erin Guerrero, executive director

When do you think their lawsuit will be filed? End of this week. End of the month or wait till after election day?

I think lawsuit will be filed by Thursday, October 29th.

2 Likes

Words can’t express how glad I am that they are not rolling over on this. NY is just accepting all this nonsense! It’s soul-crushing.

3 Likes

I’d love to show this to my DH if you have an article to reference. I’ve wiped down every single item coming into the house since March. And if I couldn’t wipe it down, it went into a quarantine area for at least a week. It’d be nice to know I can go from my own code Orange to Yellow or the like. I don’t know the rankings, I don’t want to increase my chance of accidently catching it and bringing it home to people who have a higher risk of a more severe reaction, so I kept my happy tail home instead of getting frustrated with people who aren’t as germ focused as we have been.

1 Like

This article just came out in the last day from Wired.com addressing this issue. Contains several links to good studies and research.

2 Likes