Disneyland for WDW Veterans

I was comparing maps of WDW to Disneyland and wanted to share, but didn’t know the best place, so I decided to start a new thread for this kind of stuff. If anyone has any other tidbits or advice about Disneyland that would be helpful for those who have been to WDW but never DL, feel free to share.

Here is a map of the Epcot area:

Here is a map of Disneyland:

Here is Disneyland superimposed over Epcot (I aligned the legends to make sure the distances are comparable):

• Light blue is the general boundaries of Disneyland
  • Dark orange is California Adventure
  • Light green is Grand Californian Hotel
  • Yellow is Paradise Pier Hotel
  • Purple is Disneyland Hotel
  • Black lines are Harbor, Katella, and Disneyland Drive
  • Black box in the upper left is Mickey & Friends, Pixar parking structures

I think this is interesting to give a sense of the size of each resort relative to each other.

• Walking from Cars Land to Galaxy’s Edge is not much different from the main Epcot gate to American Adventure.
  • Staying at the Disneyland Hotel is kind of like staying at YC/BC, PPH is like the location of the closest rooms at BWI, while GCH is more like staying in the UK / Canada Pavilions.
  • Disneyland Park is about the same size as Future World, while DCA is roughly the size of World Showcase, without the Lagoon obstructing direct paths.
  • Staying at the closest Harbor Blvd hotels puts you within the show buildings of FEA and GFT.
  • Staying near the Toy Story Lot is about as far away as Riviera / CBR (without Skyliner, but with sanctioned walking paths).
22 Likes

And yet I still will rack up way more steps at DLR than I have at WDW! Maybe just longer days is the culprit.

4 Likes

That’s interesting?!? I’ve only been to DL x2, I like how easy it is to park hop :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s great, but I will often end up with close to 30,000 steps. It could be the 8:00 AM - 11:00 PM hours we like to keep!

3 Likes

Holy Moly :flushed:

I guess it is easier to hop around and get to things since it’s more compact

1 Like

But we’re often there just for a day or two and so trying to cram everything in!

4 Likes

I think it’s like:

• “Let’s go check out Frozen Ever After!”
  • “But it’s ALL the way across World Showcase Lagoon!”

vs.

• “Let’s go do Radiator Springs!”
  • “Ok awesome!”
    … an hour later …
  • “Millenium Falcon only has a 30 minute wait!”
  • “Ok let’s go!”

Not sure why - maybe it’s the lower humidity, the density of attractions, or just the quality of the offerings, but I find it much more appealing to hop and cross the parks at DLR than at Epcot, where it’s much more appealing to find something to do nearby and try to keep my touring compact.

15 Likes

Isn’t it open like 8am-12am on the weekends?

Also I cannot remember if it was in the guide or somewhere else but aren’t there almost as many attractions in both Disneyland parks as there are in all four parks of WDW

2 Likes

Yes, but 11:00 pm is about my limit!

I think you’re right on number of attractions too.

1 Like

I haven’t added them up recently, but in the recent past (2018 or 2019) DLR actually had more rides that WDW.

5 Likes

I had a near constant thought while at WDW that they could have designed the whole place to be so much more compact. There is an insane amount of open space, which is what makes it so epic and “magical.” But DLR figured out how to do compact with charm and class. :wink:

6 Likes

I prefer the compact honestly. But that walkway going into Adventureland from New Orleans Square after Fantasmic kills me

2 Likes

Wow. I love it.

1 Like

So I looked it up and was surprised! Disneyland has 51 rides and WDW has 43! I knew DLR had more, but thought it was just 2-3 more. I want to say when the bugs life area was still open it was more like 55. Someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

3 Likes

I need to do a comparison of all the rides to see where the major differences are! It seems like most rides have a counterpart on the other coast, aside from a couple Epcot and Animal Kingdom rides. But Disneyland has a bunch of rides tucked away, like Storybookland Canal Boats, Casey Jr. Circus Train, Roger Rabbit’s Cartoon Spin, and Mr. Toad’s wild ride that don’t have equivalents at WDW.

1 Like

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was for Veterans who happen to go to Disney, so as I was reading through that first post, I thought maybe we were going to see some tribute to the military and first responders when you overlapped Epcot with Disneyland. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

But do you consider things like the Nemo Submarines = Nemo in Epcot? Or Matterhorn and EE counterparts? Or Indy vs Dinosaur since they’re on the same track system? Or the treehouses?

2 Likes

I count 79 at DLR just attractions including closed things but not including duplicate things like the two versions of the Ferris wheel and I didn’t count the fortune tellers or the bowling alley and the holiday versions of things:
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/attractions/

At wdw I count 97 (I’m not counting each individual animal but I will count trails or oasis exhibits and at Epcot I’m not counting the kidcot fun stops but I will count the museums cuz those can eat up time as I can attest having really discovered them this last time, again if it says wdw railroad three times for the three stops I’ll count it once and while I count sleeping beauty castle since it has a walkthrough as an attraction I do not count Cinderella castle. I didn’t count water parks attractions or things not open for the first time yet like Remy but I do count closed attractions like Turtle Talk with Crush that were open prepandemic)
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/#/magic-kingdom,epcot,hollywood-studios,animal-kingdom/

3 Likes

Just a random thought , I’ve always wanted to ask if WDW has the daily flag retreat like Disneyland?

1 Like

Yes, but only at the Magic Kingdom.

2 Likes