Disney World Themed Board Games

JC is a game that my hobby group is “too cool” to try. They like stuff that takes 3 hours to play with very little luck / random elements.

I can play just about everything - no matter how silly or random. I play games to get out of the house & be social. I can’t just go to a bar or sit in front of a TV watching sports. I need some kind of engaging activity while we hang out.

I have been selling my collection over the last year. Too many games just collect dust because my friends don’t like silly / “light” games. I’m using that money to fund a 12 day solo WDW trip in the future. (It was supposed to be Dec. 2021, but who knows now!!)

If you have a local game / hobby store in your area they may have it. Plus, it would help small business!

4 Likes

Yeah, the “typical” board game hobbyist seems to really like those really long strategy games. I enjoy them once in a while, but I’m much preferring shorter games right now - something we can play in 45 minutes or less. My kids are SO TIRED of Kingdomino these days. It’s a perfect length for me to take a work break to play with them.

We DO have a local game store, but they definitely seem to cater to the hardcore gamers. Might have to swing by, next time I go to town, though.

2 Likes

We just got Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion and probably have spent more than half our waking hours playing it the last two days, not kidding.

As for Disney, Disney Codenames is quite fun if you like Codenames and I’ve made a WDW word list for Codenames, Just One, Chameleon and other word games.

In fact, early on in the pandemic, we tried a forum based WDW version of Just One with some success.

Also, if anyone plays Jackbox Games, I’ve made WDW lists for Drawful 2 (VGB-DFZL) and a WDW prompt list for Quiplash 2 (CBS-BFDJ).

3 Likes

Totally forgot about Codenames! Good catch!

I played Gloomhaven A LOT when my KickStarter came in. Still love it! It was all the “hotness” at my FLGS. (So much so that I got tired of it as it was the only game that anyone wanted to play for a few months. Plus there were like 5 -6 copies floating around so maintaining a regular group go harder. People felt like if the missed a session with “group A” they’d be fine because they could pick up a game later with “group B”)

We have this one and my kids love it! When I bought it, I thought that there were interchangeable board pieces to make each game play different (beyond having to look for different objects). It is just one set board though. Despite that dissappointment, it is a lot of fun, and all three of my kids can play it easily. There are enough things to find that I don’t think we’ve had repeats yet.

Which is crazy because it just came out in June! I do remember now, I had seen it for pre-order when I was looking for boardgames to buy my kids for Christmas. The release date says June 1. I kind of wish I had preordered it now. Our game shop and cafe is still closed due to Covid :frowning_face:

1 Like

I have the Game of Life Haunted Mansion edition (I love HM!) and I hate the game. The rules are different and it’s all about dying of course, and finding your final resting place. We play a lot of board games and haven’t played this one again.

3 Likes

I have seen this on eBay & have almost “drunk” purchased it about a dozen times!! :crazy_face::game_die:

1 Like

LOL it’s neat as an overview of the actual park.
Each attraction has a card and they’re grouped by Land.
You pick one attraction from each Land as your “To Do” list and then roll & move around the board to visit them.
At the moment, my DD5 and I just like to set it up and flip through the cards.

Back in 2000, I actually made a similar board game with a more manic “race against the clock” mechanic before I knew this game existed. A few months later, stumbled into it at Toys R Us I think and bought it.

2 Likes

Thank you for your honest review!

1 Like

I’d be tempted to pick it up just for the HM re-skin.
Mind you we’re not big on the original Game of Life. We found it more interesting to read out the Life tiles as you collect them (rather than at the end of game) but that still wasn’t enough to conjure up a lot of interest.

1 Like