Disney World! Here we come!

Tuesday – 29 November EPCOT

Our second park day was at EPCOT. I don’t have a lot of pictures to share for this day. Jack didn’t bring his camera and Gene’s decided to bring his back to the hotel.

The plan was for everyone to meet at EPCOT in the morning and tour Future World. In the afternoon, the grandparents would take the little ones in the car to Animal Kingdom while the remaining adults can explore World Showcase. We would meet up with them later that evening back at EPCOT.

I drove the car in the morning to EPCOT and everyone else took the monorail. I would meet them past security but before the turnstiles.

Well, the drive from GF to EPCOT was quick as I got there before 8:30 AM. I got a parking spot almost in front of the entrance and actually had to wait for the rest to arrive at 9:15 AM. So, I’m doing a head count 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, wait…we’re missing some folks…Jack & Christina…the late risers.

Everyone that arrived headed to the Seas with Nemo, I would wait for Jack & Christina to arrive. By 10 AM, the crowds at security check are massive and I haven’t seen them, yet. About that time, I get a text…Jack & Christina are with the main group. They decided to take Uber. EPCOT had opened another security point way on the far left (as your facing the entrance) and that’s where they entered.

Future World was empty. The CL was projected to be a 6. Was everyone going to FEA? The morning schedule was light, Seas with Nemo, Turtle Crush, Soaring and an early lunch at Coral Reef. I almost messed up, I texted them to go to Turtle Talk for FassPass that was about to expire but it was actually for Seas with Nemo. Fortunately, the CM at TTwC straightened them out and I caught up with them at Nemo.

From Nemo to TTwC was a quick walk and we made the second seating. The kids got front row seats but from my vantage point I couldn’t see them. But Mom and Dad said both kids enjoyed it immensely.

We had split our Tier 1 Fass Pass between Soaring and FEA. Joan, Gene, Jack and I did Soaring before lunch and Grand mom, Christina and the two kids will do FEA in the evening. For two months, the best we could do was snagging four FEA FassPasses with a 6-7 PM window. I believe @haylekk and our group was there at the same time but didn’t get a chance to meet up.

Lunch at the Coral Reef was fantastic. We had a great waitress who was from China. My son-in-law Gene and her discussed…I don’t know, it was in Chinese…something about how American’s love General Tso’s chicken…or sumptin’ like that…

Although we were seated at the furthest table from the aquarium, I did have plenty of time to carry both children in my arms and walk them along the aquarium. There were one or two empty tables they used to get good views of the fish as they swam by.

We left Coral Reef at 12:45. The Big kids went to World Showcase and we took the little kids in the car to Animal Kingdom. Once more, we got parking real close to the gate at about 1:15 PM.

On our afternoon schedule was Safari, Lion King, Flights of Wonder and 5 PM dinner at Rainforest.

Our first stop with the kids was the Safari. It was a very bumpy ride but the children seemed to enjoy it.
Of all the times I was on Safari, this was the best picture of a lion I could grab from the ride.

I’m am hoping this wasn’t the same bird on the menu at the California Grill for Thursday night.

The highlight of the afternoon was attending the 3PM show of the Lion King. This was Irene’s idea and it was a good one. She knew what they would like. When the animated animals came out their eyes were as big as saucers but when the “jumping monkeys” (as Lucas called the acrobats) came out, you couldn’t divert their attention. Both pair of eyes was riveted on the monkeys. Guess it looked like play time on their beds.

All the excitement of the day took a toll on them. By the closing moments of the show, their eyes were heavy and we had to carry each out in our arms. We didn’t want to wake them so we missed the last show of Flights of Wonder. They took a quick nap in their strollers but when they woke up, we treated them to a tour thru the AK souvenir shop.

On the way there we stopped for a picture.

In the meantime, the Big kids got some photo’s done…Joan works for Siemens, we wanted to get a photo in front of the World with the Siemens logo but they couldn’t accommodate her.

The Fish-eye effect looked a little weird to me but they liked it and that is all that mattered.

Gene was able to get a night and day pic of his favorite Disney Character.

We changed our original 6 PM Rainforest AK reservation to 5 PM so we have enough time to return to EPCOT for the FEA FP window. We got seated quickly and glad too because the kids were really hungry. Both grand kids are very picky eaters, completely opposite of us two who ate anything our Mom’s cooked or had to deal with Dad. The waiter was very accommodating as Ava discovered a newfound love for Orange slices.

He kept bringing them; she kept eating them.

Even Lucas discovered a new food…twisty Mac N’ cheese…

It took us a little while to get our check but we had plenty of time to drive back to meet everyone at FEA.

We just got back to the car when we get another text from Jack. He and Christina are in a 60 minute line for a Meet & Greet with Elsa at EPCOT but the line is moving fast. “When are you getting here with Ava?”

We are about 20 minutes away, its evening now and we have to park back at EPCOT about a dozen rows back. By we time we get outside the M&G, Jack and Cristina are next; we grab Ava and literally throw her in the arms of her dad at the entrance and he runs her up to get her picture taken.

I am now headed for a beer in Germany when I realize, I HAVE AVA’ S MAGIC BAND!! Since day one, her band kept falling off so we decided to hold it for her instead of letting her wear it. Bad move. In the rush to give Ava to Dad, I forgot to give him the MB. I give my band to my daughter to get me a beer…RAN BACK to the Meet & Greet…but couldn’t find them….somehow, Jack talked his way in and they were already outside, picture taken…Geez…

The big picture moment!

It was just after 7:30 PM so the girls and kids went to FEA while the rest of us spent the next hour in Germany drinking and catching up on the day.

Jack and Chris took Ava back to the hotel, cancelling their 8 PM Tokyo Dining reservation and had dinner at the hotel.

Gene & Joan stayed for an 8 PM reservation at Nine Dragons to talk to more Chinese waitresses and watch Illuminations. Now, he has seen fireworks before but when I asked him what he thought of Illuminations…all he could say was WOW.

6 Likes

Wednesday, 30 November – Rest Day

After two and a half days of touring, Wednesday was our rest day. This day had the only rain we saw all week and it was just an early morning drizzle. The kids wanted to go to the pool and did so after the rain. The adults wanted to rest their feet. I relaxed on the resort beach with my coffee.

Even on a rest day we had something on the schedule. The group had a reservation for Brunch at Chef Mickey’s. Maybe it’s me but the décor didn’t look Disney. Or maybe, it was suppose to imitate an industrial restaurant school cause it sure was load.

The kids were getting very comfortable with all characters.

Ave being the inquisitive one, checking out Goofy’s tonsils.

Both were making sure Donald used his best penmanship in their autograph books.

When the Big Guy came out, Ava warmed up with to him with no problem.

Of all the character’s, they really like Minnie the most.

I don’t think Lucas enjoyed his Mom photo bombing his pic with Minnie…lol

After brunch, I drove Gene and Joan to Disney Springs for shopping. I showed them where to catch the bus back to the GF. They had reservations for Sprit of Aloha at the Polynesian so I warned them to keep an eye on the clock. I would have let them use the car but we had 7 PM reservations at the Boathouse with Jack & Christina.

I had read about the new parking garage with the digital display of available parking spots. We knew which color garage was closest and all but the bottom floors had open spaces. It sure beats the old open parking.
Irene and I had dinner reservations with Jack & Christina at the Boathouse for 7 PM. This was Christina’s choice for Jack, as he likes Surf & Turf.

We couldn’t get one reservation for 5 people on MDE (we had 2 seats & 3 seats, 10 minutes apart) but we read on this forum that they accept Open Table. So I tried that and was able to get 5 seats at the same time. Awesome!

Jack and Irene selected the 1lb Lobster, Chris had the Steak, Ava the Cheeseburger and I the Pungent Sound Salmon. Irene loved the Lobster and she is one that DOESN’T smother it in drawn butter that all you taste is butter. YUCK!
The Salmon was very tasty. Not over cooked, flaked just right. I don’t recall the beer list, which means I wasn’t impressed. In my opinion beer and fish doesn’t pair as well as a glass of wine. Since Jack picked up the tab, the price was just right.

Surprisingly, Gene and Joan returned in time for The Spirit of Aloha show at the Poly. One half of the party always seems to run late. Not giving away any names but my daughter made sure they got back in time. :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, Lucas ran out of gas and slept thru the show. On a previous trip, we saw the early show and they went to the night show. Gene said the fire stick entertainer was really cool at night. None of his pictures came out so I can only post this one.

Tomorrow we head back to Magic Kingdom.

4 Likes

Thursday – 1 Dec Magic Kingdom

Our second day at Magic Kingdom was fun-filled. The first MK day was geared toward rides for the youngsters, this day we had that but more rides for the adults, too.

This was a MVMCP day so the morning crowds were light. It made Memory Maker photo’s easier with less waiting and less background clutter.

There was one more picture of just us two!! :slight_smile:

On day one we did 7DMT at night. Today everyone gets to ride in daylight. On the way there, Lucas stopped everyone in his or her tracks. “Elena!! She is walking right toward us!!” I think he fell in love with her…hehehehe

And a wave for the photographer…oh, melting heart…lol

We get to our FPP reservation at 7DMT and I love this part of Memory Maker with pictures from the ride.

In the rear is Christina (I don’t do Roller Coasters) and I. Notice the shouts of joy and glee.

And below us is Grandmom and Joan enjoying the view. Below them is Jack is holding Ava in the car. She just made the height requirements and it was her first coaster ride ever. If you look closely, her cheeks are drawn back from the speed.

And leading the pack is Gene and Lucas with arms up in the air. That kid has no fear.

I may have told this story in a different thread but it warrants repeating.

7 days in Disney World and this is the ONLY picture we could get with all 8 of us in it. No X-Mas tree picture, no Castle, not even at a character meal. Geez.
We had to settle for Seven Dwarfs Mine Train.

More to follow……

3 Likes

I love your pictures!

Thanks…the kids make them great.

1 Like

I’m a little late to the party but I’m loving all the installments of your trip report @jbrew!
Great family pics.

2 Likes

Your never late to the party as long as your the one bringing the booze…:slight_smile: Thanks…reading about all the new announcements and others reports makes me want to start planning for another trip…

2 Likes

After 7DMT, the groups went their different ways, one group had a first seating reservation at CRT.

Really wished Jack brought his camera…how many times have I said that…lol…

Snow White and Irene share a dirty joke…

Joan & Lucas take a spin on the Speedway…

At Monstors, Inc Joan got here joke read to the audience…How do you make a tissue dance? Put a little boogie into it…yuck!

We meet up with them at a 12:30 Seating at the Crystal Palace…probably the worst slot you could get.

Do you think Pooh loves this guy!

Lucas started to get bored waiting for his food so out came the electronic toys.

But the CM wouldn’t have any of that and chased him under the table.

And a final picture at CP

5 Likes

Thank you for sharing these pictures! CP was a tradition with my son until he was 18. You pictures made me smile- thank you!

I’m glad. :slight_smile: We’ve been here maybe twice before but this particular time we had to wait past our reservation time. And it looked like it snowballed into the service wait time as it seemed like forever. Fortunately, we planned 70 minutes for all the charecter meals…it was off the Carribean Cruise, I’m mean Pirates of the Carribean…

2 Likes

I’ve been on Pirates of the Carribean it seems countless of times and I’ve taken hundreds of pictures during the ride but these I think are the best of all.

I had rented a len from our local camera store for my late model Canon T1 Rebel. I told him I wanted a fast lens that I could shoot indoors, close quarters with low light or no flash. He offered me a 25-70 mm f2.8 Canon lens.

I was the only one sitting in the last row of the boat. I had just missed the picture I wanted so as I passed the mannequin I turned nearly 180 degree’s and was able to take these two…

I used this lens the whole trip. I later discovered he rented me an older lens. Maybe no loss in quality but it felt heavier than my base lens.

I have a nice series of shots of the Pirates League coming up.

8 Likes

Nice shots - I’ve had good luck on dark rides like Pirates shooting with either a 50/1.8 or an 85/1.4 lens. You lose the zoom capability, but that extra stop of light can be a big deal and typically I can “zoom” in post via cropping if really needed. A high speed 50 is typically cheap and tiny so it makes a great addition to the camera bag for rides like Pirates where you really need a fast lens to get decent results…

Thank you…Tamron offers a 1.8 in a zoom but he didn’t have one in stock…neither did some of the online rental places. They wanted nearly 50% more for a 10-day rental. I wanted to stick with the flexability of a short zoom, I own a nice f3 135mm but I thought I would be in too close of quarters.

Great pictures!

Thank you…most pictures are just lucky shots…:slight_smile:

1 Like

Love the latest installment! And really great pics. I love the shots you got in CP especially, the lighting in there can be SOOOO nice during the day and you really did get some great ones.

It was only our third time there. It was an early afternoon day and the sun that Thursday was the hottest of the week…only 83F but it could’ve been 183F for us unaccustomed northerners…hehehehe…we had a very pleasent evening there once in 2014 or 2012…we saw all the charecters TWICE…they started calling us by our first name…Irene worked extensively in the resturant business (front and back) and she was calculating how many tables our waitress turned times 15% tips…it was a pretty business.

Hi, life is getting back to normal for us; just a few pics of Pirates League.

Mom treated Lucas and Gene to this. We wanted to do Pirates of Caribbean after this but Joan waited too long to get reservation to fit our plan so did it in reverse order. We also missed a FP for Big Mtn Railroad but I think it was worth it.

The CM did a great job with the pictures. The 16 sec movie was from Joan’s iPhone.

Hmmmm…what did I get myself into?

Big Pirate & Little Pirate

Mom joins the crew

Ho, Ho, Ho, the gang is all here.

Come a little closer my sweetie…

After the photo shoot, we went to the final Jack Sparrow tutorial for the day.

Dad will fit in well as a Indonesian Pirate…that scar looks so real.

Lucas is watching the skit, not knowing we are all praying he gets picked.

Horsing around with some selfies

The stars come out…

Lucas gets picked…shyness and all…hiding from Pop-pops camera

The crew is assembled…

gives us your best Arrrgggghhhhh…

My favorite picture of the day

Saying the Pirates oath…

A short video clip…sorry…can’t load it.

He had a GREAT time with that…It was MVMCP day so we went on one more ride then back to the hotel to get ready for dinner at the California Grill

6 Likes

Great pictures!!

Thank you. I believe the CM took half of those…

1 Like