Disney World! Here we come!

Thanks for including your experiences in the planning steps! I’m considering planning a Disney trip with a group of my friends, and I appreciate the perspective of someone trying to plan for a large group.

Your welcome! One of the planning steps that I haven’t discussed yet was sharing your plans and activities among your group in My Disney Experience (MDE).

Make sure everyone has an MDE account set up before you invite them. If you send them the MDE invite (e-mail) before they have an account set up, when they eventually do establish the account, their MDE account doesn’t get associated with the earlier e-mail. Hence, no sharing.

It took me at least 2 hours with tech support to get all the accounts straight.

I have the first day ready to post but I can’t post it today. It is Valentine’s Day!! As much as I love you guys, I have another sweetheart. Going straight from work to the place we first met…THE BAR!!

So to keep you entertained one more day, here is the last Quiz I sent the kids to make them Disney smart. Thanks for your patience…

-----Original-----
This is the FINAL Walt Disney quiz from the Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney (the orange book). So far, everyone is doing a perfect zero. Its an open book test for Pete’s sake!!

Part Five centers on touring with kids. You’ll need to bring your answers Easter. We need to agree on a evening when we start locking in our resturants. Once we get those locked in we can start looking at rides to reserve. Good luck in your quiz!

1. Mother from Georgia of two toddlers makes what recommendation?
  2. When is the best time to visit with pre-schoolers?
  3. What does the book say about naps?
  4. What is one thing the family should do 4-6 weeks before the trip.
  5. No question. Just read page 1577 “MAINTAINING SOME SEMBLANCE OF ORDER AND DISCIPLINE ”
  6. Parents with children using the touring plans get frustrated. Why?
  7. What’s another good thing about strollers?
  8. What to do if your child gets lost?
  9. No Question. Review the Small-child fright potential chart Page 1649. Note which rides not to take. “Evaluating a child’s capacity to handle the visual and tactile effects of Disney World requires patience, understanding, and experimentation. Each of us has our own demons. If a child balks at or is frightened by a ride, respond constructively. Let your children know that lots of people, adults and children, are scared by what they see and feel. Help them understand that it’s OK if they get frightened and that their fear doesn’t lessen your love or respect. ”
  10. What are some ways to prepare children for their 1st visit?
  11. What is “switching off”?
  12. Where do you meet charecters? See the chart on page 1699.
  13. How about chartectes dinners? See the chart on page 1706.
  14. THERE IS A GOOD WRITE UP ABOUT CHARTECTER MEALS. Find them

------ CUT------

2 Likes

Lol, I’m loving all the installments of your report. Can’t wait for the rest!

Hi, I have the next installment in draft mode with pictures on my laptop. But IT guys at work will not let me add the PC to the network. So, I have to wait until I get home today.

I reviewed some of my earlier posts. I either can’t tipe or spel very well. My grammer aint too good either…lol…

1 Like

Hope you guys had a great night at the bar!!

Saturday

As mentioned, this WDW trip was our X-mas gift to the kids and grand kids. Their only cost is the transportation down & back, non-dining plan meals, tips, booze and souvenirs. Check in time Sunday was 3 PM with the 1st TS reservation Sunday at 4:30 PM at 1900 Park Fare

In an earlier post, when I discuss what TS reservations we were able to get, if you do the math, each of the groups exceeded the 6 TS credits in the dining plan.

So which meals to you pay for and which meals do you use your credits on. I don’t recall where I got this link but it is help us get an idea what your out-of-pocket meal expense will be. http://www.distripplanner.com

The dining calculator can even be used without a dining plan. Understand the assumptions used in the program, plug in your planned restaurants and QS meals and it gives you a ballpark figure with different dining plans and without. Add or subtract costs were you think necessary.

I had already decided I was going to drive. I no longer like flying. When I drive, I feel I’m in control of my own destiny. At the airport, if there is a ground stop, a weather delay or worse a cancellation, I’m stuck. If I’m on the road, I’ll have opportunity to pull over or check into a hotel.

I offered Joan & Gene to drive down with us. Gas, food and a hotel both ways would cost the 5 of us $700 max. That is what Vampire Airlines would suck from us for 2 round trip economy seats plus baggage. Splitting it we’re all saving a couple bucks.

NOTE TO SELF: Do not book a flight on the Sunday after Thanksgiving, one of the busiest travel days of the year. The cost of flying on the Saturday was half what we got quoted on the Sunday flights.

Change 1: It was decided after the dining reservations were made but before the FassPass reservations that 1 ½ year old Jaxs would not be going this trip. Mom felt see could spend more time with Ava and not worry about Jaxs nap time and evening hours.

Change 2: After I booked a hotel room for 5 in Savannah Georgia, Joan & Gene decided to fly down on Saturday.

Change 3: Jack & Christina decided to take a later flight Sunday. They wouldn’t arrive at the GF until about 5:30 PM. I adjusted the 1900 reservation to 5 persons and I was able to get them 3 seats for the Grand Floridian Café at 7 PM.

The night before we dropped our American Eskimo DOG (not to be confused with the Inuit people of Alaska) at the kennel.

The road trip from Philly started at 4 AM Eastern Saturday. Along the way we competed with post-Black Friday shoppers and early Turkey day returners. With 45-minute rest stops in Virginia and North Carolina we were making good time.

Sometime after we left the first rest stop in Virginia, Gene, Joan and Lucas were airborne from Philly. This was Lucas’ first airplane ride and I’m hoping to get pictures of that but no one took any…bummer.

They landed about 1 PM Saturday and had a good time at Disney Springs. Lucas’ first Disney souvenir was…Nader Teeth!

He and dad have to stop at the candy store.

Hopefully the candy only makes the Nader Teeth rot.

Hey! I could be a soccer ball ornament, too!

Meanwhile, our traffic was smooth until the southern end of South Carolina. There were no accidents, just heavy congestion with too many drivers. Should’ve listen to @gabmon about driving during the holidays.

We reached our over night location in Richmond Hill, GA just 30 minutes late. This is our third time driving to WDW so we had to visit our favorite pre-Disney restaurant “Steamers” (now called “The Local on 17”).

An ex-Army Ranger who has adorned the walls with mementos from the Fort Stewart area runs it. On the glory wall were striking personal (donated?) photo’s from World War II and Vietnam along with an Iraqi flag captured by a unit from the 3rd Infantry Division in 2003. For dinner, we shared a 40 oz. bison rib eye.

Rumor has it the owner killed it himself with his bare hands. So where are the wings on this Buffalo?

I had an “‘Merican Amber Ale” by Jekyll Brewing from Alpharetta, GA. that would make any game meat go down smooth. Make that two!

That ended the first day. More tonight!

2 Likes

It was fun. The only thing that has changed over these years to the price of a drink……

Thanks for the trip report. I am loving all the pictures. So glad you all had such a good time!!

1 Like

Sorry @gabmom , mistyped your name in the post.

Sunday

Had breakfast at the local Waffle House. The place was beaming with southern hospitality as the waitress opened the door for us. (Think the PA plates gave it away that we were tourist with a capital T)?

We left Georgia on a bright sunny morning 4 ½ hours away from our destination. Traffic was practically non-existent yet the State troopers on both sides of the Georgia-Florida border pulled over at least half-dozen vehicles. I blame the magical draw of Disney cause even I, driving an SUV that rarely saw the right side of 65 MPH on the speedometer, was going 80 at one point.

Just after noon, we stopped at Disney Springs to pick up the buckteeth kid. From the outside, the Wyndam Garden Hotel looked very nice and they got a good tourist rate at $98 a night (plus Florida tourist taxes).

After piling everyone in the car, it was off to the Grand Floridian. Lets discuss GPS navigation.

I’m the first to admit I am bad with directions. As a self-proclaimed techno-nerd, I’ve used GPS devices when hikers used them having only LAT and LOG for a location. I’ve owned or used hand-held, portables, in-dash even military grade devices and you would think after all these years since with Google Maps and satellites galore, you would have thought GPS navigation would not put you on the SERVICE ROAD to the Grand Floridian…LOL…but that is exactly what it did!

As it was giving directions and I’m listening to something that didn’t seem right. I’m thinking to myself, well its been 25 years since we were last here, maybe there is another way…nope, had to make an illegal U-turn and back track 2 miles. If anyone wants to know where the warehouse is that stores all those mickey-ear hats. I have a GPS to sell you……

We got there just about 12:45 PM. Our third party was just leaving for the Airport.

Leaving the house for a magical trip.

This was Ava’a first airplane ride, too. But we got some pictures!

Showing off her new suitcase.

Getting comfortable.

It was Ava’ birthday the previous weekend so Dad treated her to limo ride to the hotel. No Magical Express for her!

Jack, Christina and Ava arrive at the hotel.

Dad makes his exit.

Christina smiles for the paparazzi

And the princess of the hour…okay, what’s all the commotion about?

Meanwhile, back at the 1900 Park Fare buffet…wasn’t quite sure how Lucas or Ava would warm up to the charecters. First there was some dancing…

Then some man-to-man talk…

What do you think about those princesses?

And then…

Cinderella is going to sign my book!!!

More tommorow…a recap of Sunday and onto the Magic Kingdom.

7 Likes

Fantastic trip report and love seeing the pictures! It looks like your DGS is having a fantastic time!

Good pictures.

Great pics, love reading your installments. Can’t wait for the next!

That looks slamming!

Our TP Room Finder fax went off without a hitch. We got connecting rooms at GF 8323-8325. My son Jack & Christina got the king bed. The rest of us got queens.

Depending on which side of the balcony you are on, distant views of the castle got to watch the castle fireworks, excellent views of Space Mountain, Contempory and the Lagoon Electrical parade.
Here is one picture from the hotel room.

After everyone had dinner, we took a short monorail ride to MK Guest Services to exchange our ticket vouchers. The first group went at about 2:30 PM. It was a MVMCP day, crowds appeared small and there was no waiting at Guest Services. We were in and out, back at the hotel in about 30 minutes.

I took the second group over after they checked-in at about 6:00 PM. It was like night and day. The monorail was jammed then it BROKE DOWN. Note: This was a common occurrence. Heard they were doing maintenance this year. Not sure if it was related with the breakdowns.

When it finally got to MK, we could see Guest Services was snaking 20-30 people deep. They had a 7 PM reservation at the Floridian Café so we stayed on the monorail to go back the GF. We made it back just after 7 PM for their dinner. A nice 1 hour ride on the monorail.

We tried again later, crowds were insane but we got the vouchers at 9 PM. This time, we took the ferry back and at the landing dock at the GF we were treated up close to the Electrical Water Parade.

Monday

The Gasparilla Grill was closed during our stay. It stayed closed for a week longer than the hotel staff expected. We had breakfast each morning at the pool.

The plan was to be on the monorail by 8:15. Some of the party couldn’t make it on time so we left with the grandkids. We just missed the Welcoming Show. As a matter of fact, we didn’t make one rope drop the whole stay.
If you have toddlers and/or adults who are not used to getting up with the birds, don’t plan a rope drop.

During the initial planning phases, Crowd Level at MK was a 6. After all the table reservations and FP’s were made the CL’s got recalculated and it jumped to level 9. Regardless, the crowds were manageable and other than some meet and greets, the stand by lines were rarely more than 20 minutes.

Our first experience would be the Jungle Cruise.

The two cousins are waiting for their first Disney Experience.

The wait was less than 10 minutes. The kids really enjoyed it. We were cruising the river, kids were enthralled with the animations, enjoying the corny jokes and when the CM pulls out his cap pistol and shouts “GET DOWN, BAM, BAM, BAM”, I turned around and found both kids prone on the bottom of the boat, getting down. Everyone on the boat was smiling.

Next stop was Aladdin’s Magic Carpet

Grand mom and Grand pop were flying NOE; Joan was tail gunner while Lucas, his Dad and Ava were flying over watch above us.

Ava’s parents caught up with us right after that. Dad bought everyone a hundred dollars worth of Goofy Hats…well; not really a hundred but it was a lot of cash for foam hats.

It was off to see the Muppets Show in Liberty Square. First time to see this so didn’t know what to expect.

While waiting for the show to start…

Lucas absconded my camera and took a picture of me shackled by my Magic Band.

Back to see the Muppets. They were always fun to watch on TV. Scheduled to see the Muppet’s again at Hollywood Studio’s.

Peter Pan’s flight was a little darker than I remember. Ava was with us in the car and she handled it well.

Gene’s flash helped or hindered.

After the obligatory It’s a small world ride,

We headed to the Pinocchio Village Haus for lunch. I wish I took a picture but a person who greeted us eerily looked like Mr. Geppetto greeted us in line.

There is a saying that when you’re hungry, everything taste great. I had a flatbread sandwich and the tiramisu desert that you find everyone there…It wasn’t a bad lunch.

At this point, the groups begin to split up to meet their individual FP’s and dinner reservations.

We did the Country Bear Jamboree

Followed by the Fantasy Afternoon parade

How can we not have a Frozen appearance, huh?

Jack, Christina and Ava stood in line for almost 2 hours at Princess Hall to see two princesses but said it was well worth it.

I’m not sure if this picture was at Princess Hall or at EPCOT.

Sometime in the afternoon, we get a text from Ava’s Dad. They are going back to the hotel for a nap.
After two 45 minute waits…no wonder she got tired.

But they were going to ruin my surprise! Since November, I’ve held a secret from everyone. I arranged to have each room done up in their favorite characters by Disny Gifts & Floral

While you are out and about at the parks, you let the company know what day and time to come in to decorate the room. When he told us they were going back to hotel, I had to spill the beans. Without giving away too much detail, I let him know that someone will at the room to give Ava a gift.

Ava was asleep on the king bed when they arrived. They surrounded her with Frozen gifts as she slept.
When she woke up:

Later in the evening, Lucas and his parents returned to their room. And this is what he saw:

On the outside of the room door, a pirate banner.

On the patio window, a pirate flag.

And his bed is made up with pirate booty.

Amongst all the stuff was a treasure map with clues. For the next 30 minutes or so, Lucas and Mommy read each clue and hunted for treasure in the room.

One by one he found more treasure when finally they discovered….a LOCKED treasure box!

The final clue was….

“Where’s the last place a dirty pirate would look for a key? Under the soap of course, there it would be?”
This is when the fun happens. So Mommy and Lucas run/trot to the bathroom sink and look under the soap. NO KEY! They go to the bathtub and look under that bar, NOTHING! Now we re-read the clue, under the soap. We went back to the bathroom and looked under the unopened bars of soap.

Picture four grown adults and 5-year-old all in the bathroom looking for a key under the soap. Lucas is starting to get upset wanting to really, really open his treasure chest.

I call the Disney gift store. I explain to the person that we read all the clues, we are on the last clue and can’t find the key. “Do you know where it’s at?” He says, “I’ll see if I can contact the person who set up the room”. So I’m hold, everyone is looking for a bar of soap with a key underneath.

I’m on hold for about 10 minutes when the gentleman gets back on line saying, “We can’t get in touch with the person who set up the room but if you give me your phone number…” “WE FOUND IT!”
Lucas’ dad yelled. In the bathroom, under the SHAMPOO BOTTLE on the sink is the key. I embarrassing tell the guy, thank you we found it.

Finally, we opened the treasure chest with sweet chocolate bullion and Nader Teeth standing buy.

Back at the park, my first view of the Castle when frozen.

It must have a zillion lights…anyone know how many?

I helped Lucas get the Sword out of the Stone. This is a picture when he put it back in!

On the way out of the park, Grand mom and Grand Pop get a picture taken.

I think its the only one of just us together.

This ends our first full day at Disney World

11 Likes

Great pictures!

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for sharing! Your first day looked amazing.

This was great!