Disney Tourist Blog has me freaked out about love-bugs, should we move our trip?

Hi all, I am finally less than a year away from our May 2022 trip (363 days!), but the last Disney Tourist Blog has me questioning my dates. I have heard of love bugs being annoying at WDW, but figured they wouldn’t really bother us. The recent DTB post along with the comments have me a little freaked out. There are people saying that they couldn’t use or relax by the pools the because the love bugs were so prolific, there are also comments saying they won’t even visit in May anymore because of how bad the bugs are.

I can change the dates of my trip, I really wanted to go while it’s very warm, but not crazy hot and I wanted to avoid the spring break and holiday crowds, so I thought the first week of May would be perfect, I could possibly switch to early March, or maybe November 2022…

We are traveling with my sister’s family and there will be 4 kids under 10 who will want to swim daily, if the pools are not going to be enjoyable, I will have rethink everything. We were planning to go all out on this trip since our 2020 trip was cancelled, I would hate to have swarms of bugs keep us from enjoying parts of our trip.

Would you move your trip? If so to when? Does anyone have any experience with the love bugs? I’m so torn about what to do, help!

We’ve been twice in May (2015 and 2018) and never noticed them. I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

Our 2015 trip was the first week of May and it was wonderful! Great weather and low crowds.

3 Likes

I live in Texas and we get love bugs here, too. You really can’t predict them. Some years you hardly notice them and some years they are seriously annoying.

3 Likes

Yes love bugs are out here in Florida, right now, but honestly I didn’t notice them in the park and they aren’t heavy outside of the parks. Don’t forget that Disney sprays for bugs more than anywhere I know… have you ever experienced a mosquito there ? Nope. And Florida has a big mosquito problem, sprays, warns citizens about Zika etc. I don’t know if you can spray for love bugs but considering I’ve never been bothered by them at Disney… maybe they have?

2 Likes

No matter when you go there will be something that’s not ideal. Think about all the aspects of your trip. Is this the only thing you don’t like? Or, is it a lot of little things?

4 Likes

I think that’s an apt description of love bugs! :crazy_face:

4 Likes

We stayed at Coronado one May and noticed tgem for the first tume. Had no clue what they were at the time. They werent all over the resort but they were swarming the bus stops! They were everywhere. They dont hurt you but they do fly right in your face and super annoying. Then a little later they were gone…next day same thing. Seemed like they would come out only certain times a day. We would sit away from the bus stop until the bus came And and then swatted our way through. Funny thing…as many as there were I didnt notice a single one near rooms or pools a few here and there in the park. I wouldnt cancel a trip over it. Seems like their appearance ebbs and flows and is very unpredictble.

2 Likes

Reading about the love bugs was the only thing making me rethink our dates. You are right, there will always be some aspect that’s not perfect. These responses sound like they aren’t something that will ruin a trip. I was really happy with my dates otherwise, I think I will keep things the same - thank you!

1 Like

This is what I was hoping to read, thank you! The weather and crowds were why I chose the beginning of May. :heart:

Thank you! I was needing this type of reality check. We will keep our trip the way I have it planned. It’s tough accepting that I can’t plan for everything at WDW, especially nature.

2 Likes

YES! Last trip I got several bites while waiting for a ride back from dinner at CG!

But not usually. You’re right.

1 Like

…well… they must have wanted some of what you had been drinking :wink: :rofl::joy::beers:

2 Likes

Could very well be!

2 Likes

We went in May of 2019. I recall seeing them but they did not dominate the trip. I would go in May again.

1 Like

Yes! Was just thinking about this! I was just there and for the first time ever I got 2 mosquito bites while sitting on the porch at Beach club villas. Granted I was surrounded by bushes and water so I should have expected it but have always praised Disney for not having mosquitos. :laughing: All realtive though…had I have been in my own backyard I would have gotten 15 bites in the same amount of time sooooooo​:woman_shrugging:.

1 Like

We were there in May 2018. We never noticed them. We would go in May again and we were supposed to in May 2020.

1 Like

Love bugs really are harmless. (We get them in Texas. Not sure if our swarms are of equivalent amounts or not though?). For me, it’s really no different than if I got swarmed by butterflies or ladybugs. (My kids try to get them to land on them.) It would be a non factor to my planning.

3 Likes

We often go in May and have not had issues with love bugs. We have certainly seen them, but they didn’t disrupt our trips.

1 Like

I was going to say exactly this… the only time I ever noticed them was at the bus stops at CSR. Must be something they like about those areas, because they were all over the place at those stops! But we just stood a little further away until the bus came. I never noticed them anywhere else on property - had no problems by the pools etc. I find that early May is generally a great time to go, so they wouldn’t stop me from going again then!

2 Likes

We’ve been in May (POFQ) and I didn’t even remember there were love bugs until you mentioned it. We spent time at the pool but I don’t remember seeing them there. It obviously wasn’t bad enough to affect my memory of my trip.

2 Likes