Disney stock?

Well now it’s down $80 in the premarket. I’ve never seen a company swing $180 a share in the premarket with no news. This is nuts.

2 Likes

I have said nothing. Mostly because I didn’t know. I am sure he does though! He is watching everything very closely. He is stressed bc the stock we bought yesterday is lower. I told him to just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Robinhood has closed access to buying a select few stocks and you can only sell now. There may be a lawsuit coming as this has to be market manipulation. I was up a little over $1k on tootsie roll this morning, then the news that Robinhood closed off new buying and the stock is down now about $5 a share so I am down. Market manipulation plain and simple.

4 Likes

If you don’t know what you are doing in the stock market let me suggest you stay away from options and futures. Not saying there bad if you know what your doing but you can lose a lot of money fast if you do not. Stick with a on-line brokerage firm such as Etrade of the like and invest only what you can afford to lose. Cut this risk by always investing for the long term. The best way to invest in stocks is to do your homework on the stock you have in mind. Ask yourself, “would I buy or use the products this company sells?” Start out only buying stocks with a cash account then move on to a Margin acct. With a Margin account you can take out loans to buy more stock than you have cash for but remember if the don’t go up and the load comes do your stuck for the difference. Learn more on buying stocks and options at Motleyfool.com Good luck in your endevevors.

I know about options and I know how volatile they are. I only put “play money” in so that if it expires worthless, I am not in any trouble.

And I will never ever ever never trade on margin.

1 Like

Me pretending I understand this thread:

11 Likes

Hahaha ! Same.
I decided a few months ago I was going to open an ETrade account and buy a few stocks. I invested in a few things, bought some Disney stock and so far have made a few hundred in profits. I don’t begin to know what I’m doing though LOL.

Always invest only what you can afford to lose that’s my best advice!

2 Likes

Good idea. I’ve mostly settled on putting as much as I can into a pretty diversified 401K and being in tune with our property value, but it’s probably time I understand this stuff better and learn some different tricks.

There’s no tricks. Buy inexpensive broad swath of the market (aka index funds) and hold. That’s it. Lots of people get paid a lot of money and have made long careers to be experts and still don’t consistently outperform the overall market. They’ll have a few good years or a particularly lucky call, but for the vast vast vast majority of people…the stock market is only good for long term investing (retirement, maybe college).

Single stock trading is gambling. If you know someone thing no one else knows about a company/stock, that’s probably insider trading (ask Martha Stewart). Everything you think you know is already priced in. Stock market is literally wisdom of the crowd. If more people think the price will go up, it goes up.

3 Likes

I got to say that Mr. ISUamanda is somewhat right. Now I tried to direct those above to a web site that will give them more of a understanding of what to look for in looking for opportunities in the stock market. I used it and did well. Not rich but made out well over a period of several years. The thing I learned from that source and others is mutual funds are very long term and the profit is generally minimal. That’s why I got out of them which I see making money for your investment broker and not much else. I hear them screaming now. I was asking a fellow small investor what I should do and he also gave me a few points. First and foremost only spend what you can afford to lose if it comes to that. Second be willing to put the time into studying the stock or stocks you are thinking of investing in. and my last tip is NEVER invest in a stock or fund that others tell you to invest in. You can check it out but be wary as they may be trying to get you to invest so the stock goes up and they can sell and get out. There are a lot of ponsey scemes out there so if it sound to good to be true it probily is. unless you are more knowledgeable than I in trading always plan for long term. If it turns out you can sell short term think twice as the stock such a Disney might go up quite a bit more than you think over the years and if you sell too soon you will miss out. Not only that you make dividends along the way. So folks if you want to play the investment game be willing to do the work required or you might find the market is just not for you. Good Luck and may it always be on your side. :laughing:

Fiqqst.

I saw a graph yesterday, and I’m very frustrated I can’t find it again today, that showed Tesla’s market cap is larger than the ten largest (by volume of cars sold) automakers combined. It sells about 75000 cars per year, compared to GM’s 3.2 million. Its net income last year was 2% of Toyota’s. Ford probably misplaces more cars than Tesla makes in a year. And yet, because Elon Musk is a consummate shuck and jive artist, “investors” are giving him billions of dollars that achieves little more than if they were set on fire.

2 Likes

This thread, while certainly beyond my faculties to understand much of, has reminded me to go into my 401K account and shuffle around some investments that I’ve been meaning to do for a while now. Now that I’ve done that, I can not think about my 401K again for, oh, probably another 3-5 years! :slight_smile:

Actually, not quite. Just started a new job, so I’ll have to figure out the best investments for my new 401K.

4 Likes

It isn’t quite that. The growth rate of Tesla is very high - much higher than Toyota or any of the other big automakers. Growth is like crack on Wall Street. Investors want to be in something that is growing. Think about it this way - if you could have gotten in Microsoft in 1985, how would you be doing today? Same with Walmart in its infancy, or Amazon, Apple, Google, Facebook, etc. Those are big companies now, but they weren’t always that way. People see Tesla as becoming one of those big companies. And they are willing to pay a premium for that growth rate now. If they report earnings and the growth rate slows significantly, watch out because the stock will come crashing down.

3 Likes

Yeah. Tesla has almost single-handedly changed the public perception as to what an electric vehicle…and actually a vehicle in general…can be.

It doesn’t matter that there are all kinds of quality issues, or that they had production issues, or that there has been questionable advertising of their autopilot driving mode, because they have upset the market to the point that all the mainstream auto manufacturers have been in catch-up mode.

Having said that, I don’t see Tesla (personally) as a good LONG-TERM investment, because the fact is, the other automakers are just about to catch up to Tesla and will, ultimately, undoubtedly surpass them. They have the capacity and know-how. Still, Tesla has a few more good years ahead of it I think before their stock will likely “normalize” (or whatever you call it in finance-speak).

However, I think @BGK raises a point about Elon himself as well. Elon is a visionary. People can’t help but fall in love with his ideas simply because he is pushing the limits. Some of his ideas are nutty. Others are legitimate industry disruptors. I do admire Elon’s vision. I just think that, ultimately, everyone else who comes on board as a “follower” to his vision will ultimately surpass him in actually production of products. Of course, it won’t matter. By then, Elon will be onto his next visionary idea, I expect.

As the owner of a non Tesla fully electric car I agree the other companies have a shot if the quick charging infrastructure gets built. The latest numbers I saw had Tesla supercharging stations (which can only be used by Tesla’s) to outnumber all other quick changing stations combined. Also the integrated technology of a Tesla paired with their charging stations is a great benefit. For example, I can put my destination as WDW and their navigation system tells me how to get there, which stations to stop and charge at, and for how long. My non Tesla electric car uses at least three apps to do that. One for navigation, and at least two different electric charging companies. And I need to cross reference when I think I may need more juice.

Sorry for straying off topic but I really love my non Tesla electric car and will sing its praises all day. However, Tesla brings a lot to the table right now that the big companies just don’t.

1 Like

Do you believe many investors are stupid? They just see something you don’t like in Amazon, Facebook and the like. They are betting on a Newbie stock and they may just become millionares or broke.

1 Like

Many years ago Disney stock wasn’t worth crap. I had an idea though that sooner or later people were going to look at Disney and think family entertainment. So I bought into Disney for 50 shares at $11. I kept that and it split a number of times and then I had 150 shares. Price still wasn’t that high at $22 but it had grown. Now my wife inherited some money when her father died and I invested it in Disney for her. That was at $19 a share. This was all about 25 years ago. I held on to Disney because I still believed the same reason for keeping it. Now today, look at it. Yes, it has been going up and down like a yo yo but look at the prices per share. It got as high as $185 per share but has went down since. I believe today it is at $166 per share. Now I could sell it and take the money to the bank and of coarse to Uncle Sam, but why. I get paid good dividends from our shares and must better than the bank will give you in interest. Besides I still like Disney and feel it has a long way to go before it tops out. Does this mean go buy Disney? NO! Only buy it if you believe as I do but be willing to hold it long term or even lose your investment. Remember you only gain or lose once you sell before that it is just wishful thinking or should I say wise thinking. My 2cents.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

I decided to buy a few shares of DIS. I wish I had bought last March when it was less than half the value it is today, but …

I really love the Disney company and all they do, so I feel like I’m in on the magic now. It’s a small enough investment I would never lose or make a lot off it anyway.

6 Likes

Some people believe they must buy huge amounts of stock right off the bat. A true investor invests in stock a little at a time. Over the years your stock numbers will grow and split as well. By the time you are about to retire you will have quite the investment. Invest in solid stocks that have been around a long time. Investing in relatively new stocks are high risk and only if you can afford to lose your investment. You may make a fortune but I would not hold my breath on it.

3 Likes

I have a fair amount already invested in the stock market, primarily in index funds (S&P). I invest a little bit every month. Also my 401K, of course, which is diversified.

2 Likes