Disney requires vaccines

She works somewhere without a collective bargaining unit or they have grandfathered clauses? I would love to see those contracts. So interesting.

But you have to agree that when teachers are only making a bit more than 19-year olds on unemployment, it does help one understand why so many people are so upset about the amount of the unemployment. I have a master’s degree and have never made the equivalent of $600 a week.

1 Like

I don’t know how it works. I asked some questions when I saw them a few weeks ago but nobody likes it when you pry too much into things like this. Money, salary, etc.

3 Likes

We recruit our teachers- hard. They all start at over 50k and all veteran teachers make significantly more than first year teachers.

It is bus drivers, and special support staff tgat we struggle with.

Anyone want to earn their CDL? Paid training….plus bonus (had to add that since every business looking for drivers is also offering that).

4 Likes

50k is not enough in a state where 1 bedroom apartments are hard to find for under 2k a month, or you will have to get a car and and travel 3 hours a day. The median cost of a single family home just went over 500k. Salaries, like home costs can be regional.

2 Likes

Yes, they certainly can. Which is one of the reasons that so many people are opposed to a national minimum wage. I’m from Alaska, where a gallon of milk is $4-5 and bananas are $1 a pound on sale. But minimum wage is higher there and servers, etc. don’t make $2.13 an hour, they make full minimum wage in addition to tips. Salaries and minimum wage should reflect the cost of living in the state/city.

3 Likes

This is how I feel. Every month at my one to one my manager asks if I want to go for a promotion. It would mean a considerable pay rise. But I see him sending emails at 10pm at night and on Sundays, taking his work laptop on holiday so he can join important meetings, and it’s not worth it to me.

9 Likes

My firm (publicly-traded well known private equity) is requiring vaccines to work in the office, and most of us will need to be in the office, though hybrid. There might be some religious and medical accommodations made. However, DC has a mask mandate again regardless of vaccine so not sure we will be going back to the office in September as I don’t think ppl in cubes want to wear masks all day.

I had already planned on not going in for two weeks after my Disney trip in mid-October. Selfishly, wfh those first few days will help with vacation recovery :joy:

3 Likes

Not directed at you Wahoohokie, but the idea of work ethic. I think the insane wk for nothing or work-a-holicism is apart of American culture. I’m hoping this upcoming generation will change this. The reports are that they don’t want to be worked to death or/and not be able to do anything but work like the current and past generations. DH HATEs his commute… it’s not long just dealing w/ asshole drivers. Also, we all saw air quality improved w/ the lock down… mother nature would approve of us working from home.

7 Likes

Mine does too thank goodness. Lol. He has taken 4 weeks off each year over the last couple years. He even took a week off in December which he’s never been able to do before. He’s always told me if I will let him run hard for a bit while we’re young it wouldn’t be for forever and I’m starting to see that. He’s not working late nights anymore and doesn’t miss any of our kids’ games on the weekends. Next on the agenda is killing working on Saturdays!! :skull_and_crossbones::joy:

5 Likes

I have a hard time understanding why my DH has the job he has. Only 2 weeks vacation a year. Works daily 7:30-5 and every other Saturday. It’s the industry he’s in - but I can’t understand why he won’t try to find something with a better work/life balance. I won’t bug him about it, but it truly baffles me.

5 Likes

Oh, I have one of those husbands, too. The year our second son was born, he worked 363 days. The only days he took off was the actual day of the birth and Christmas Day. He’s “retired” - which lasted four months. His part-time gig he now has he actually does only work forty or so hours a week, which feels like so much free time when 100+ was routine.

Our son and his wife, OTOH - he works four days a week (from a home office - his organization has everyone work from home), she works two or three, and they are very happy with that schedule. It’s mostly because they both have some health challenges, but it seems like something people should consider anyway. Their life is much more balanced.

3 Likes

Here’s an interesting piece to contribute to the work at home vs go back to office conversation:

Why People Like Working From Home - The Atlantic

In my last year and a half in working from home, I’ve gotten to enjoy watching DS get on and off the bus, eaten sooo much healthier, been able to carve out some time to exercise throughout the day and lost 45 pounds as a result. I’m not stressed in my commute, productivity is up since no one is stopping by my office to say ‘do you have a quick minute?’. Productivity has been a problem elsewhere in the organization and they are bringing some departments back early as a result, but it’s been such a positive thing for me. I will be sad when I need to go back 2-3 days a week in September.

7 Likes

Sounds like it’s really worked for you at home. I hope you can find a way to make it permanent.

1 Like

This is very similar to my experience! I didn’t have 45 pounds to lose, but I did get much more in shape with more exercise and loved being around my kids more and being able to help around the house when I wasn’t busy. I liked going into the office once or twice a week to really focus on getting my work done. No commute was glorious.

I’ve been back in the office full time since June 15th and I think I’ve hit the treadmill once. :persevere: Thankfully my commute is really fast with lighter traffic these days. But I wish we could go back to hybrid.

5 Likes

The Rise Of The Four-Day Work Week : 1A : NPR

Exactly! Food service workers are often mandated to get Hepatitis A vaccines.

5 Likes

My state ended it and restaurants still can’t find employees. I guess all the people that had been told for years that if they didn’t want to make minimum wage they should find a better job did just that.

8 Likes

Mine gave up working on Saturdays years ago, and luckily he missed very few games/activities over the years. He goes away for long weekends a lot, mainly to the wilderness where there is no cell service! Hope your DH loses the Saturday working soon.

2 Likes